...the browser isn't rendering the code. Can someone tell me how I can get around this problem? Appreciate any help. [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => gwhPoster [ip] => webforumsuser@m [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 1 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => 1 [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> > > > > ...the browser isn't rendering the code. > > Can someone tell me how I can get around this problem? > > Appreciate any help. > > >[/ref] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Murray [ip] => forums@HAHAgrea [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 2 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Template problem - Can't adjust file path in conditionalcomments - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Template problem - Can't adjust file path in conditionalcomments - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Hi everyone, I've used the template feature in dreamweaver to create a site. The site contains conditional comments to feed a separate stylesheet to internet explorer browsers. The css files are stored in a css directory that sits in the main site directory. Some of the web pages are located in the main site folder and others are nested within subdirectories. Since all pages in the site need to reference the css file located in the css directory, the file path in the conditional comments within the template will have to be different depending on where the subpages exist. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Template problem - Can't adjust file path in conditionalcomments

    Hi everyone,

    I've used the template feature in dreamweaver to create a site. The site
    contains conditional comments to feed a separate stylesheet to internet
    explorer browsers. The css files are stored in a css directory that sits in the
    main site directory. Some of the web pages are located in the main site folder
    and others are nested within subdirectories. Since all pages in the site need
    to reference the css file located in the css directory, the file path in the
    conditional comments within the template will have to be different depending on
    where the subpages exist. I tried putting the conditional comments within an
    editable region in the template so I could change the file path as needed in
    the pages themselves but because dreamweaver adds template comments like this:

    <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" -->
    <!--[if lt IE 7]>
    <link href="../css/win_ie.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    <![endif]-->
    <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

    ...the browser isn't rendering the code.

    Can someone tell me how I can get around this problem?

    Appreciate any help.

    gwhPoster Guest

  2. #2

    Make your links root relative. Links within Conditional comments will not
    be managed by Dreamweaver ever, since it sees them as HTML comments.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "gwhPoster" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the reply.

    How do I make the links root relative - can you give an example. Also not sure
    how this would solve the problem, I mean should I still put the conditional
    comments in an editable area within the template and then change all the pages
    manually? It's so much trouble to do it this way - is there some workaround?

    gwhPoster Guest

  4. #4

    A root relative link will work when called from any page in any location in
    the site, since it always starts the path from the root of the site. To
    read about this go here -

    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_13129&sliceId=2
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15546&sliceId=2

    Do a site-wide find and replace.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "gwhPoster" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for the links - they were really helpful.

    Just one last thing if that's okay: I noticed that there are two commands to
    get rid of template markup in pages based on a template:

    "export without markup" and "remove template markup"

    The problem is that they're both greyed out when I try to access the commands.
    Do I have to be in a template page for it to work?

    gwhPoster Guest

  6. #6

    > The problem is that they're both greyed out when I try to access the

    The first option would produce a NEW site that is devoid of template markup.
    Files from the current site will be copied into the new site minus the
    markup. It's not a page by page option. I'm not sure about the second
    option.

    What is it you want to do?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "gwhPoster" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  7. #7

    I just didn't want to have all the template comments/markup in the files when I
    uploaded them to the server as it will increase the amount of code and
    therefore bandwidth.

    I assumed that everyone removed this code before uploading - is this right? I
    don't know how to do it though.

    gwhPoster Guest

  8. #8

    "Remove Template Markup" removes template tags (areas) from a template, one tag
    at a time. Just select the upper tab of the template area a and choose Remote
    Template Markup from the menu.

    Export without Markup will make it so you can have a copy of your site without
    templates applied. You will have to edit pages on the original site and then
    export it each time and upload the exported version.

    [Q]I just didn't want to have all the template comments/markup in the files
    when I uploaded them to the server as it will increase the amount of code and
    therefore bandwidth.

    I assumed that everyone removed this code before uploading - is this right? I
    don't know how to do it though.[/Q]

    As far as does everyone do that? Well I don't, and I don't believe most people
    do it. It really depends on what you wish to accomplish and what resources you
    have available. For instance, if you have a decent server, no problems
    uploading and your target market can handle the size of your pages, then you
    can make tradeoffs. In other words why spend the time decreasing the size of
    your page when it isn't necessary?

    However if it is an issue for you and you believe removing the tags will solve
    your problem then by all means do it. Now if you are going to have other web
    designers/developers managing content on the server then perhaps you will want
    to keep the templates in tact with their pages so that changes made to the
    templates will effect all pages in the site.

    I personally use templates very little because they are too messy and
    inflexible for me. Instead I rely on php includes for most things. Php includes
    make it so you don't have to hassle with the dreamweaver templates, or with
    mass uploads of content after changing a template. And php includes are not
    difficult to fix unlike dreamweaver templates are when they break for whatever
    reason.

    Jeff

    jphilapy Guest

  9. #9

    >I just didn't want to have all the template comments/markup in the files

    The impact on bandwidth would be so tiny as to not justify the effort.

    I certainly don't.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert