Professional Web Applications Themes

Template Tremors! - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Greetings: Please help before I stab a beanie baby: I am using DW MX and I want to start using templates to increase efficiency, however, I am struggling: I need to know how to make my template in tables, as opposed to layers. Normally, I would create my sites in layers and then just "Convert to Tables". Now, with templates, I don't have that option at all. Consequently, my pages are all off-cenetred in the browser. I rely on tables in centering my pages, but Templates seem to be restrictive. Please, please, please help. Garrett Todd :)...

  1. #1

    Default Template Tremors!

    Greetings:

    Please help before I stab a beanie baby:

    I am using DW MX and I want to start using templates to increase efficiency, however, I am struggling:

    I need to know how to make my template in tables, as opposed to layers. Normally, I would create my sites in layers and then just "Convert to Tables". Now, with templates, I don't have that option at all.

    Consequently, my pages are all off-cenetred in the browser. I rely on tables in centering my pages, but Templates seem to be restrictive. Please, please, please help.

    Garrett Todd :)

    Garrett Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Template Tremors!

    Garrett:

    That would be a crime against humanity, you know.

    I guess I don't understand what is the problem right off the bat. You make
    a page use either layers or tables or both and then save it as a template.
    But I'm certain that this is not your question.

    Tables".

    That, too, is a crime against humanity. Never do this. There is NO
    justification for it. Why are you feeling the need to do this?

    And it's a good thing, too.

    It's because of your code.

    Many people do.

    Templates have no LAYOUT function. Making a page into a template will not
    change its layout. Placing elements on the page (in a template child) and
    into your layout may well change the layout of the page, but not because of
    any restriction of the template.

    Please say more about what you are trying to do and we'll get to the heart
    of the matter.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Garrett Todd" <com> wrote in message
    efficiency, however, I am struggling:
    Normally, I would create my sites in layers and then just "Convert to
    Tables". Now, with templates, I don't have that option at all.
    tables in centering my pages, but Templates seem to be restrictive. Please,
    please, please help.

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Murray:

    First let me thank you for responding to my needs so prompty; I truly appreciate this. Also, I have seen your name all over the place helping people; so I just wanted to let you know that you are a valuable resource to all of us. Kudos Murray!

    Alright, meat & potatoes. I usually create all my websites in layers, and then simply "Convert them to Tables." It seems really painless to do it this way, and in the end, my sites resize in windows and everything. Is there a better way? I have tried to create all my sites in Tables to begin with-like most experts recommend-but they seem so bersome. Am I missing something???

    Next, the problems at hand:

    How are people creating templates from the get-go? In "Tables"? Again, I see real complications dealing with tables all over the place; they just aren't flexible like layers. When I'm finished with a page, I just eliminate ALL the layers with then do the switch-over I mentioned. What do people know that I don't, Murray?

    Bascially, I need templates because of the increased productivity factor, yet I can't use them if all my pages are going to ultimately be askew in user's broswer.

    Is this clear? I'd be more than willing to explain this further is so.

    Garrett Guest

  4. #4

    This is a commercial solution that can show you what you can do with
    templates and how to set the whole thing up. It might be a little too much
    for what you are looking for, but you might want to keep this in mind
    whenever you have a big project or a big corporate client.

    http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/Templates.aspx

    It's got a free evaluation download.

    dc
    decloak, Inc.
    Multi-Navigation Templates and Menus
    http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/Templates.aspx

    "Garrett Todd" <com> wrote in message
    efficiency, however, I am struggling:
    Normally, I would create my sites in layers and then just "Convert to
    Tables". Now, with templates, I don't have that option at all.
    tables in centering my pages, but Templates seem to be restrictive. Please,
    please, please help.

    dc Guest