DW4.x-: 5. Recreate the site cache 6. Recreate the assets cache 7. Select the Assets panel, select the templates category, right click on the template file and choose Update Site... Where is the template failing? DW2 or MX? Which DW was the template created with? DW2 or MX? Is the site a network share or a true local website on your local hard drive? Hope that helps. -- Brad Halstead (brad at dreamweavermx-templates.com) TMM Volunteer [Contribute] - http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/ DreamweaverMX Templates - http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Brad [ip] => brad@dreamweave [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 11 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Templates that won't update! - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Templates that won't update! - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Tulipa: Which DW are you using? > I have just added some JavaScript and html to the 'head' but when I save, it doesn't update the dependent files. Are you adding the js to an editable region in the 'head'? What do you mean that you are adding HTML to the 'head'? > and won't let me edit the bits I deemed non-editable on the template Of course - that's how templates work. You can only edit the EDITABLE bits on each child page. -- Murray --- ICQ 71997575 Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX (If you *MUST* email me, ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Templates that won't update!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "TulipaNegra" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I have created my basic site based on one template. I have just added some
    JavaScript and html to the 'head' but when I save, it doesn't update the
    dependent files. The files tell me they are based on the aforementioned
    template, and won't let me edit the bits I deemed non-editable on the
    template, so I am a bit stuck. I am fearing I may have to start again from
    scratch. Any ideas?

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  2. #2

    Hi
    > I have created my basic site based on one template. I have just added some
    JavaScript and html to the 'head' but when I save, it doesn't update the
    dependent files. The files tell me they are based on the aforementioned
    template, and won't let me edit the bits I deemed non-editable on the
    template, so I am a bit stuck. I am fearing I may have to start again from
    scratch. Any ideas?

    A quick look at the template markup will tell you the answer..

    Open the template
    Go to code view
    Look at the JS that was added
    Is the JS in the editable region named head? If yes, then it is working as
    advertised.. editable region content does NOT propagate to child pages.
    However, all is not lost, you could create NEW pages and these new pages
    would have the editable region markup added (BUT not maintained). You then
    could copy and paste the desired content from each existing page to the new
    file and overwrite the existing page on save

    As for the HTML part though.. html shouldn't go in the head editable region
    or head block unless it is specifically head block markup such as meta data
    tags, javascript links, css file links and title.. or if using server-side
    language, then server side code can go there as well such as db connections.
    There is one other allowable item and that is an include statement (SSI).
    So, again, check the marku and make sure that the changes you made were to a
    template non-editable region.

    Hope that helps.

    --
    Brad Halstead (brad at dreamweavermx-templates.com)
    TMM Volunteer [Contribute] - [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/[/url]

    Brad Halstead - TMM Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the replies. I'm not very good at being clear and succint at the same time - I'll try and explain better..

    I put my JS in the non-editable region in the head of the template. The html that I also put there was a description, keywords etc.

    I know I can't put this in the same non-editable region in the child pages - that is part of the problem!

    It seems that my pages are 'linked' to a template, but the template that they say they are 'linked' to (prob not correct terminology) doesn't update them. So I am left with no way of adding this information to my child pages, and the relevent regions are non-editable

    The names of the template concerned is the same in all instances, I really don't understand it!

    TulipaNegra webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Sorry, I forgot to mention I was using either DW 2 on Mac or DW MX on PC.

    TulipaNegra webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Tulipa:

    Please upload the template file somewhere, post a URI to it, and tell me
    exactly what you are trying to change. The only way I can really undestand
    what you are mentioning is to look at your code.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Thanks for the replies. I'm not very good at being clear and succint at
    the same time - I'll try and explain better..

    > I put my JS in the non-editable region in the head of the template. The
    html that I also put there was a description, keywords etc.

    > I know I can't put this in the same non-editable region in the child
    pages - that is part of the problem!

    > It seems that my pages are 'linked' to a template, but the template that
    they say they are 'linked' to (prob not correct terminology) doesn't update
    them. So I am left with no way of adding this information to my child pages,
    and the relevent regions are non-editable

    > The names of the template concerned is the same in all instances, I really
    don't understand it!

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  6. #6

    Tulipa:

    Are the templates created using DMX or DW2? Be aware that DMX templates are
    NOT compatible with DW2.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  7. #7

    Hi
    > Sorry, I forgot to mention I was using either DW 2 on Mac or DW MX on PC.
    Dreamweaver 2.x-4.x won't recognize DWMX template markup.. BUT, DWMX will
    recognize DW2.x-4.x template markup.

    So, if you created the template in MX then it won't function as expected in
    DW2. The template amrkup is ONLY forwards compatible not backwards.

    If you need the template functionality in DW2 then create the template in
    dw2 otherwise dump dw2 and stay with MX.

    Does that help?

  8. #8

    I am still working offline at present so there's nothing up there to view as yet.

    As basic as I can make itm the problem is this:

    I have created some pages using a template. When I change and save the template, the pages don't update.

    I could be doing something very obviously wrong, but I have never had this happen before. It doens't make sense!

    TulipaNegra webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  9. #9

    Can you post the code here?

    --
    Colm
    http://www.moosepucky.com/links/links.cfm > Links

    "TulipaNegra" <com> wrote in message
    as yet.

    colm Guest

  10. #10

    Tulipa:

    Here are the things that will cause changes to a template page to NOT
    propagate to child pages -

    1. A corrupt site cache (can often happen when the local site is actually
    on a network shared drive) - solution is to recreate the site cache.

    2. The change is being made to an EDITABLE region of the template page.
    Such changes do not propagate to existing child pages.

    3. The Templates folder has been renamed.

    4. The Templates folder has been moved out of the site's root level.

    5. The changes introduce invalid markup in the Template page, and are
    rejected by DW's Template engine with an appropriate error message.

    6. The template page contains either Library Items or Server-side includes
    in the child pages.

    I am not aware of any other things that might produce your symptoms. Have
    we eliminated all of them as possibilities?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "TulipaNegra" <com> wrote in message
    as yet.
    template, the pages don't update.
    happen before. It doens't make sense!

    Murray Guest

  11. #11

    Hi

    it didn't make any difference.It is back there now, and there are only
    templates in the Template folder.
    avail.
    non-functional?

    The only way to tell for sure is for you to either:
    1. Post a url to the offending template and a child of that template (Which
    you say you cannot do)
    2. Zip the site and email it to either Murray or myself for inspection.

    Ensure the following:
    1. The templates folder is named Templates (Must be capitalized)
    2. Ensure that the Templates folder is off the site root not in a sub-folder
    3. Ensure that the files that are linked to the template are in the
    currently defined site with the template
    4. Ensure that each child page contains the following markup
    DMX: <!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/{templatename}.dwt"
    codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->
    DW4.x-: <!-- #BeginTemplate "/Templates/{templatename}.dwt" -->
    5. Recreate the site cache
    6. Recreate the assets cache
    7. Select the Assets panel, select the templates category, right click on
    the template file and choose Update Site...

    Where is the template failing? DW2 or MX?
    Which DW was the template created with? DW2 or MX?
    Is the site a network share or a true local website on your local hard
    drive?

    Hope that helps.

    --
    Brad Halstead (brad at dreamweavermx-templates.com)
    TMM Volunteer [Contribute] - http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/
    DreamweaverMX Templates - http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com

    Brad Guest

  12. #12

    Hi Brad,

    I think you pointed me in the right direction.

    I hadn't moved the template and child pages since I created them, but also I had not made any changes/updates until yesterday when I had the problem.

    When the template tried to update it was looking for the child pages but couldn't find them, so I took your advice and checked the locations of all my files. I redefined the site so that the folder with the template and all the new child files was the root folder (I had started a new folder with new files but not changed the site definition - didn't realise this was necessary for the template to update), and it worked. So this was obviously the problem - and obviously I was being a bit dim!

    Thanks very much for all your help everyone.

    TN

    TulipaNegra Guest

  13. #13

    Hey TN