Professional Web Applications Themes

Terminal Interface Big Problem - SCO

Hello, Sorry for bother you guys with the same problem again , but I can't solve it. For several weeks I've got a terrible problem with Terminal Interface. I have an SCO Unix 5.0.5 as server and clients Windows PC who access it via Telnet. There's an old system running on the SCO Unix. The system was developed in Business Basic, an old programming language which is running just on console mode, not GUI, like a FoxPro for DOS. I have installed several differents terminal emulators, like SCO TermLite 1.0.7, ShellTelNet, NetTerm and finally SCO TermVision 2.1 on my Windows ...

  1. #1

    Default Terminal Interface Big Problem

    Hello,
    Sorry for bother you guys with the same problem again , but I can't
    solve it.
    For several weeks I've got a terrible problem with Terminal
    Interface. I have an SCO Unix 5.0.5 as server and clients Windows PC
    who access it via Telnet. There's an old system running on the SCO
    Unix. The system was developed in Business Basic, an old programming
    language which is running just on console mode, not GUI, like a FoxPro
    for DOS.

    I have installed several differents terminal emulators, like SCO
    TermLite 1.0.7, ShellTelNet, NetTerm and finally SCO TermVision 2.1 on
    my Windows PC.

    Each one was able to connect to SCO Unix, but neither one could load
    up properly the Business Basic System that is running on the server.

    When I access that system on Unix via TermVision 2.1 (ANSI emulator)
    from a Windows PC, the system interface appears to be completely
    untidy on my Windows PC:

    SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5 (scosysv.my_domain_name) (ttyp0)

    login: root
    Password:
    Last successful login for root: Sat Aug 02 12:00:08 2003 on ttyp0
    Last unsuccessful login for root: Sat Aug 02 11:32:04 2003 on tty01

    SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5

    (C) 1976-1998 The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
    (C) 1980-1994 Microsoft Corporation
    All rights reserved.

    For complete copyright credits,
    enter "copyrights" at the command prompt.
    TERM = (ansi)
    Terminal type is ansi
    # cd u
    # cd bbx2
    # ./bbx2

    READY
    >RUN "MAIN"
    2S
    2같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같 같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같
    2ACME COMPANY2
    拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙 拙拙拙2MAIN MENU2
    拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙 拙拙拙2

    拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙 拙拙拙2
    拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙拙 拙拙拙22,0032K2,003
    BOX
    9
    2< Time : 12:17 PM
    2같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같 같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같
    같2DATE: 03/08/20032같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같같 같같같같같
    같같같같같같같같같같같같
    2[1] QUERY OF CUSTOMERS / TOTAL SALES
    2[2] QUERY OF CHECKS 1992-2003
    [3] QUERY OF INCOMES HR-PU-PR
    2 [4] QUERY OF LICENCES
    -> OUTPUT OF FORMATS
    2 ENTER YOUR CHOISE:

    <End of Screen>

    I have tried every possible setting on TermVision 2.1 (and in the
    other terminal emulators, too) but nothing changes that terrible
    interface.
    Checking for the TERM variable:

    TERM=vt100
    export TERM

    and checking for the config.bbx file, doesn't work at all. The problem
    is still there.

    I think I should install some files on the SCO Unix in order to get a
    properly Windows connection. What files am I missing to install,
    please? Or how could I contact SCO to ask this question? I access its
    web site but it seems quite difficult to find where to post a
    technical question and to get an answser as well.

    Thank you very much
    Jorge_Beteta Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Terminal Interface Big Problem

    Jorge_Beteta typed (on Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:14:57AM -0700):

    Try anzio, from [url]www.anzio.com[/url].

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  3. #3

    "Jorge_Beteta" <jbeteta> wrote in message
    news:5140b91e.0308071014.62535ca3posting.google.c om...
> [...]
    > 2 [4] QUERY OF LICENCES
    > -> OUTPUT OF FORMATS
    > 2 ENTER YOUR CHOISE:
    >
    > <End of Screen>
    >
    > I have tried every possible setting on TermVision 2.1 (and in the
    > other terminal emulators, too) but nothing changes that terrible
    > interface.
    > Checking for the TERM variable:
    >
    > TERM=vt100
    > export TERM
    >
    > and checking for the config.bbx file, doesn't work at all. The problem
    > is still there.
    >

    > I think I should install some files on the SCO Unix in order to get a
    > properly Windows connection. What files am I missing to install,
    > please? Or how could I contact SCO to ask this question? I access its
    > web site but it seems quite difficult to find where to post a
    > technical question and to get an answser as well.
    (Note: It's not a good idea to run bbx2 logged in as root. Later releases
    of bbx refuse to be run as root.)

    Try:

    # cd /u/bbx2
    # l termcap*

    There should be a specialized termcap file in this directory for bbx.
    It may be called "termcap", it may be called "termcap.bbx".

    Let's assume it's called "termcap". Enter:

    # TERMCAP=/u/bbx2/termcap
    # export TERMCAP
    # ./bbx2

    READY

    Now try running your menu program and the escape sequences
    unique to bbx should now display properly.

    Bob Bailin Guest

  4. #4

    "Ronald J Marchand" <rojomarcovad.net> wrote in message news:<bguhji$p57$1sun-news.laserlink.net>...
    > Post the alias lines from your config.bbx for the "T" devices ... as in
    > alias T0 .....
    > That product uses a modified termcap file which usually lives in the
    > directory where the executable lives. Depending on the configuration, it
    > may not care what terminal type is set on login.
    >
    > Is this the second time you have asked this question?
    >
    > Ron
    Thank you very much, Ron. You were rigth about the config.bbx file.
    The terminal interface problem was actually a Business Basic problem.
    It couldn't be seen properly the bbx windows interface because I
    accessed the SCO Unix 5.0.5 with a terminal type "ttyp0" from my W98.
    I had to add the line: "alias T4 /dev/ttyp0 vt100" on my config.bbx,
    like:

    stblen=2688
    fcbs=40
    cibs=30
    aliases=21
    alias T1 /dev/tty01 scoansi
    alias P0 /dev/tty01 "Epson 100 series"
    CR,CP=0F,SP=12,CPCOLS=240,SPCOLS=132,EPON=0E,EPOFF =14,EPCOLS=2,EPLINES=1,SLON=1B5B3569,SLOFF=1B5B346 9
    alias T2 /dev/tty02 vt100
    alias T3 /dev/tty03 vt100
    alias T4 /dev/ttyp0 vt100
    alias P1 /dev/ttyp0 "Epson 100 series"
    CR,CP=0F,SP=12,CPCOLS=240,SPCOLS=132,EPON=0E,EPOFF =14,EPCOLS=2,EPLINES=1,SLON=1B5B3569,SLOFF=1B5B346 9
    alias LP ">lpr 2>/dev/null" "Epson 100 Series"

    That resolved the terminal interface problem.

    However, I still have the "memory fault - core dumped" error. It
    happens when I hit the DEL key (when I'm trying to escape from the
    program, because of that I hit the down-arrow key instead) or when the
    program makes some processes. Sorry I don't know too much about those
    processes, I'm just viewing the install matter.

    I tried:
    > start 255
    > run "MAIN"
    hoping that it could be a "too many files open" problem. But it
    doesn't.
    I think that it has to be some settings that I have to do on some
    files like config.bbx or termcap.
    Do you think it could be the solution?
    Thanks very much.
    Jorge_Beteta Guest

  5. #5

    "Jorge_Beteta" <jbeteta> wrote in message
    news:5140b91e.0308091615.2f544058posting.google.c om...
    > "Ronald J Marchand" <rojomarcovad.net> wrote in message
    > > Post the alias lines from your config.bbx for the "T" devices ... as in
    > > alias T0 .....
    > > That product uses a modified termcap file which usually lives in the
    > > directory where the executable lives. Depending on the configuration,
    it
    > > may not care what terminal type is set on login.
    > >
    > > Is this the second time you have asked this question?
    > >
    > > Ron
    >
    > Thank you very much, Ron. You were rigth about the config.bbx file.
    > The terminal interface problem was actually a Business Basic problem.
    > It couldn't be seen properly the bbx windows interface because I
    > accessed the SCO Unix 5.0.5 with a terminal type "ttyp0" from my W98.
    > I had to add the line: "alias T4 /dev/ttyp0 vt100" on my config.bbx,
    > like:
    >
    > stblen=2688
    > fcbs=40
    > cibs=30
    > aliases=21
    > alias T1 /dev/tty01 scoansi
    > alias P0 /dev/tty01 "Epson 100 series"

    CR,CP=0F,SP=12,CPCOLS=240,SPCOLS=132,EPON=0E,EPOFF =14,EPCOLS=2,EPLINES=1,SLO
    N=1B5B3569,SLOFF=1B5B3469
    > alias T2 /dev/tty02 vt100
    > alias T3 /dev/tty03 vt100
    > alias T4 /dev/ttyp0 vt100
    > alias P1 /dev/ttyp0 "Epson 100 series"

    CR,CP=0F,SP=12,CPCOLS=240,SPCOLS=132,EPON=0E,EPOFF =14,EPCOLS=2,EPLINES=1,SLO
    N=1B5B3569,SLOFF=1B5B3469
    > alias LP ">lpr 2>/dev/null" "Epson 100 Series"
    >
    > That resolved the terminal interface problem.
    >
    > However, I still have the "memory fault - core dumped" error. It
    > happens when I hit the DEL key (when I'm trying to escape from the
    > program, because of that I hit the down-arrow key instead) or when the
    > program makes some processes. Sorry I don't know too much about those
    > processes, I'm just viewing the install matter.
    >
    > I tried:
    >
    > > start 255
    > > run "MAIN"
    >
    > hoping that it could be a "too many files open" problem. But it
    > doesn't.
    > I think that it has to be some settings that I have to do on some
    > files like config.bbx or termcap.
    > Do you think it could be the solution?
    > Thanks very much.
    Ok. Forget the slave printer for now and try the following:
    edit the config.bbx file to contain
    alias T5 /dev/tty term

    In the shell:
    TERMCAP=path_to_bbx/config.bbx
    BBTERM=T5

    export TERMCAP BBTERM

    then invoke bbx.

    I see that you have posted on the bbx-list. Any future discussion really
    belongs there.

    Ron

    Ronald J Marchand Guest