Professional Web Applications Themes

Terminal Server in 2003 Recommendation - Windows Server

Since SBS 2003 does not support terminal server, what is recommended to get remote access to the SBS server? For the small guys the SBS 2000 was great - remote access in to diagnose any issues. Now it's not supported?!?! So is the small guy now have to buy 2 servers for remote access? I don't think so. What is someone's recommendation? Microsoft says to just install another server in the network with SBS 2003. Great there goes costs, plus can I even get full remote access to the SBS 2003 server? Please don't say we go back to PC ...

  1. #1

    Default Terminal Server in 2003 Recommendation

    Since SBS 2003 does not support terminal server, what is recommended to get remote access to the SBS server? For the small guys the SBS 2000 was great - remote access in to diagnose any issues. Now it's not supported?!?! So is the small guy now have to buy 2 servers for remote access? I don't think so. What is someone's recommendation? Microsoft says to just install another server in the network with SBS 2003. Great there goes costs, plus can I even get full remote access to the SBS 2003 server? Please don't say we go back to PC Anywhere..........

    What about Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on the same machine? Costs go up AGAIN, but it that such a bad thing if you have firewalls/etc

    Multiple options/opinions are VERY welcome. Thank you

    Joel
    CrossCon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Terminal Server in 2003 Recommendation

    Hi CrossCon,

    You may want to post your questions and any additional ones you have in the
    main SBS 2003 newsgroup. Since it looks like you're using the web
    interface, you can get there from the following URL:

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/community/default.mspx[/url]

    SBS 2003 does not support Terminal Services in Application Mode, that's
    true.
    However, it DOES support Terminal Services in Remote Administration mode,
    which allows 2 remote connections to the server itself for precisely the
    reasons you mention below.
    Additionally, SBS 2003 has a feature called the Remote Web Workplace, which
    helps faciliate a secure connection to the server desktop for remote
    administration purposes, and allows users access to their e-mail through
    OWA, help them set up a VPN connection or Outlook via the Internet (RPC over
    HTTP), and additionally connect to their desktop at work directly if it is
    running XP Pro.

    Running Terminal Services in Application Mode, where any domain user can log
    in, is a security risk when used on a domain controller such as SBS. That
    was one of the primary reasons it is now no longer available in SBS 2003.
    As I've explained above though, there are still a variety of methods to get
    remote access to the server and the SBS network.

    Please feel free to post in the SBS 2003 newsgroup with any other questions
    you have, and check out the main SBS 2003 website which has additional
    information about the product:

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx[/url]

    David Jones
    SBS Product Team

    "CrossCon" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Since SBS 2003 does not support terminal server, what is recommended to
    get remote access to the SBS server? For the small guys the SBS 2000 was
    great - remote access in to diagnose any issues. Now it's not supported?!?!
    So is the small guy now have to buy 2 servers for remote access? I don't
    think so. What is someone's recommendation? Microsoft says to just install
    another server in the network with SBS 2003. Great there goes costs, plus
    can I even get full remote access to the SBS 2003 server? Please don't say
    we go back to PC Anywhere...........

    > What about Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on the same machine? Costs go
    up AGAIN, but it that such a bad thing if you have firewalls/etc?

    > Multiple options/opinions are VERY welcome. Thank you.
    >
    > Joel

    David Jones [MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    TS is supported in Admin mode, you can have two sessions running at once,
    this should be enough. TS is also improved a bit, if you start the TS client
    with a /console switch, you can now takeover console0, & see error messages
    it displays. TS in Application mode is not supported, but then was a crap
    solution on SBS2K anyway.

    Mal Osborne
    MCSE MVP Mensa

    "CrossCon" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Since SBS 2003 does not support terminal server, what is recommended to
    get remote access to the SBS server? For the small guys the SBS 2000 was
    great - remote access in to diagnose any issues. Now it's not supported?!?!
    So is the small guy now have to buy 2 servers for remote access? I don't
    think so. What is someone's recommendation? Microsoft says to just install
    another server in the network with SBS 2003. Great there goes costs, plus
    can I even get full remote access to the SBS 2003 server? Please don't say
    we go back to PC Anywhere...........

    > What about Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on the same machine? Costs go
    up AGAIN, but it that such a bad thing if you have firewalls/etc?

    > Multiple options/opinions are VERY welcome. Thank you.
    >
    > Joel

    Mal Osborne Guest

  4. #4

    CrossCon wrote:
    > Since SBS 2003 does not support terminal server, what is recommended
    > to get remote access to the SBS server? For the small guys the SBS
    > 2000 was great - remote access in to diagnose any issues. Now it's
    > not supported?!?! So is the small guy now have to buy 2 servers for
    > remote access? I don't think so. What is someone's recommendation?
    > Microsoft says to just install another server in the network with SBS
    > 2003. Great there goes costs, plus can I even get full remote access
    > to the SBS 2003 server? Please don't say we go back to PC
    > Anywhere...........
    Perhaps you misunderstood what you read or heard. For admins, just turn on
    Remote Desktop on SBS2003, and there you go - it supports two (?)
    simultaneous TS/RD logins, just as TS in admin mode did on prior versions of
    Windows server.

    For user access, you don't need another SBS server (and can't install one in
    an existing SBS domain anyway). You can buy W2k or W2k3 server to use for
    Terminal Services. Or, lower budget option, use Remote Desktop on WinXP
    computers... although note that you can't have more than one user logged in
    at a time on XP- whether at the console or remotely.

    > What about Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on the same machine? Costs
    > go up AGAIN, but it that such a bad thing if you have firewalls/etc?
    Not sure what you mean - if you're running Exchange 2003, you need to be
    running it on either W2k or W2k3 anyway -

    > Multiple options/opinions are VERY welcome. Thank you.
    For TS access for users, note that you should never ever [1] use a DC as a
    "workstation" for them anyway. You shouldn't install any workstation
    software on a DC/Exchange box (never install Outlook on a server running
    Exchange, for example), you should never let users log into a DC -
    regardless of OS version. It will make Bad Things happen eventually. Not
    sure if this is/was an issue/question for you, but thought I'd mention it.

    > Joel
    [1] ever!

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] Guest