Professional Web Applications Themes

terminal sessions over vpn tunnel getting dropped - SCO

Using Icetcp over tunnel between Cisco PIX and VPN concentrator in Openserver 5.0.6. Some, but not all, sessions are getting dropped. I have not had this problem before, but in this case there are lots (40 - 50) users with active sessions all day long. Cisco's words of wisdom include 2 choices. 1. Up the amount of time before a keepalive timeout or 2. Configure the system to send Unicast keepalives. Is #2 doable in SCO? Anyone have any similar problems. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default terminal sessions over vpn tunnel getting dropped

    Using Icetcp over tunnel between Cisco PIX and VPN concentrator in
    Openserver 5.0.6. Some, but not all, sessions are getting dropped.
    I have not had this problem before, but in this case there are lots
    (40 - 50) users with active sessions all day long.

    Cisco's words of wisdom include 2 choices.

    1. Up the amount of time before a keepalive timeout
    or
    2. Configure the system to send Unicast keepalives.

    Is #2 doable in SCO?

    Anyone have any similar problems.

    Thanks
    David Fenske Guest

  2. #2

    David Fenske wrote:
    > Using Icetcp over tunnel between Cisco PIX and VPN concentrator in
    > Openserver 5.0.6. Some, but not all, sessions are getting dropped.
    > I have not had this problem before, but in this case there are lots
    > (40 - 50) users with active sessions all day long.
    >
    > Cisco's words of wisdom include 2 choices.
    >
    > 1. Up the amount of time before a keepalive timeout
    > or
    > 2. Configure the system to send Unicast keepalives.
    >
    > Is #2 doable in SCO?
    >
    > Anyone have any similar problems.
    >
    > Thanks
    I just set up cron to send a ping to the remote vpn router every 10
    minutes. That is enough for my vnp to stay up permanently.

    bill

    bill Guest

  3. #3

    > Cisco's words of wisdom include 2 choices.
    >
    > 1. Up the amount of time before a keepalive timeout
    > or
    > 2. Configure the system to send Unicast keepalives.
    >
    > Is #2 doable in SCO?
    I do not know if #2 is doable but you can check TA 107691
    to see if that will help you with #1.

    > Anyone have any similar problems.
    I have the same problem with a Checkpoint VPN also with telnet and SSH
    sessions.

    I am beginning to wonder if the problem is with the client connections.

    What type of client connections do you have?

    I currently have three DSL (with PPPOE) connections and about
    10 clients that use AOL dialup.

    I have begun looking at the the "Do not Fragment" bit and figuring
    out how to set it to the same thing on both sides.

    To handle fragmentation, I currently have my MTU set at 1380 to handle all
    of the overhead for the VPN encryption and PPPOE.

    I am wondering if using a DSL connection without PPPOE might
    help.

    I am not the low level networking genius, but I am learning from
    my trial and tribulations.

    moncho

    moncho Guest

  4. #4

    "moncho" <monchoinyc.com> wrote in message news:<2UuTa.540$603.28029iad-read.news.verio.net>...

    > > Anyone have any similar problems.
    >
    > I have the same problem with a Checkpoint VPN also with telnet and SSH
    > sessions.
    >
    > I am beginning to wonder if the problem is with the client connections.
    >
    > What type of client connections do you have?

    Closest to the Openserver box is a Cisco 3000 vpn concentrator. There
    are at 3 other locations a Cisco PIX 50x. So the tunnels are setup
    between sites as opposed to a dialup-one-tunnel-per.

    I have since sopke with JRiver who makes ICETCP and they thought it
    might be timouts in the tunnels and suggested looking into the routers
    and/or firewalls.

    To make matters even more interesting, it now appears as though the
    concentrator is flaky and it is being replaced later today. I will
    post a follow up once the unit gets replaced.

    Apparently this is not a common Unix-related problem. As I searched
    the Net for info, I found a lot of postings on dropped sessions for
    Terminal Services (Microsoft) and even AS400s. I will post what we
    end up doing so the next searcher might have less to dig through.
    > I am not the low level networking genius, but I am learning from
    > my trial and tribulations.

    Welcome to the club.
    David Fenske Guest