Professional Web Applications Themes

Termlite Problem - SCO

I am using Termlite 1.1 to access my SCO OSE 5.05 server over the internet. Transparent print works to a remote printer which is directly connected to the remote PC but not to a remote network printer. Any suggestions? -- ________________ Kevin F. lane 978-281-5263 com...

  1. #1

    Default Termlite Problem

    --
    ________________
    Kevin F. lane

    Kevin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Termlite Problem

    "Kevin F. Lane" <com> wrote in message
    internet.

    I occasionally use TermLite 1.0.7 from home, but telnet through a VPN to my
    office. I assume that you are doing likewise, or using port forwarding of
    telnet port 23 on an ssh connection to your server with PuTTY, Cygwin ssh or
    similar for security reasons.

    Printing to a printer directly connected to the SCO box would work from
    within OpenServer, but a network printer on your office LAN would only be
    accessible within OpenServer if it was on a print server configured with
    OpenServer, such as an HP JetDirect, either directly or via lpd.

    Some posters have preferred netcat to configure the print servers, but the
    HP software within OpenServer (5.0.6 and now 5.0.7) works well for me.
    Configuration is fairly easy; just search on "JetDirect" at the SCO
    Knowledge Center.

    None of your network printers would be available as a Windows printer to
    TermLite unless you use the VPN approach, and install the drivers through
    Windows. They would also be available for your other applications.

    Windows RDC would also work. You can access an XP box on your network, with
    secure access to all network resources. TermLite could be run on the XP box.
    I use RDC when I need an X desktop, as X11 is too slow with asymmetric
    broadband.

    David P. Lurie

    David Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your reply.

    The problem is getting TermLite to print to a shared network printer.
    (Error: "Cannot open Ne02: for the printer.")

    I can't get it to print to a shared printer on my LAN or to a remote
    networked printer from a remote PC running TermLite.

    The only thing that works is printing to a printer directly connected to the
    Lpt1 port of a Windows machine running TermLite.

    Any further suggestions?

    "David P. Lurie" <net> wrote in message
    > internet. [/ref]
    >

    > I occasionally use TermLite 1.0.7 from home, but telnet through a VPN to[/ref]
    my
    or
    with
    box.

    Kevin Guest

  4. #4

    You could try of different telnet client. I have clients who have had
    success with "netterm". You can download it from the Internet.

    Yves

    "Kevin F. Lane" <com> wrote in message
    the
    > > internet. [/ref][/ref]
    connected

    > > I occasionally use TermLite 1.0.7 from home, but telnet through a VPN to[/ref]
    > my [/ref]
    of [/ref]
    ssh [/ref]
    be [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    through
    > with
    > box.
    >
    >[/ref]

    Yves Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, your problem is the printer destination is a remote network printer and
    termlite doesnt print to a printer based on its UNC name.
    However you can around that by mapping a LPTx port number to the UNC name
    and making that LPTx the default printer for that Termlite user. Note:
    Termlite will only print to the PC's default printer.

    If that is impractical, you may have to consider replacing termlite with
    Netterm which is a satisfactory product.

    Regards
    Dave

  6. #6

    All Windows printers shared on your LAN should be available for printing
    from all Windows apps on your PC on the LAN.

    Have you checked printer configuration eg Printers and Faxes > right click
    on Printer_Name > Properties > Print Test Page ? If that works, test
    printing from other Windows apps.

    If the target printer is off line for some reason, such as the system off or
    on standby (for printers not connected to a print server), your problem
    could occur. Uninstalling and reinstalling the printer/drivers may help if
    the other system is not off line.

    Printing to a shared printer connected to a PC on standby or shut down gives
    a different, more verbose error in XP than you obtained. I don't remember
    the ogous error message in W2K or NT.

  7. #7

    Connect/Print Setup on my system gives a drop-down box with all available
    Windows printers; an HP1220 on a JetDirect box also shows up as a shared
    printer on the SCO box (via Samba) and as a shared printer from a few other
    Windows boxes that mistakenly shared it on installation. All other network
    printers show up as well. I can print to the HP1220 from TermLite without
    problem.

    The Network/Connect to Printer option at the lower left hand corner only
    shows the two JetDirect Printers shared by Samba on the SCO box, likely
    because no printers are directly connected to my PC.

    Part or all of the problem may be related to adding/configuring the printer
    for TermLite from within TermLite, rather than directly through Windows.
    TermLite is an old 16 bit Windows 3.1 app, with internal configuration
    restrictions as noted, but can access printers previously configured in
    Windows XP .

    "David Font" <co.nz> wrote in message
    and
    > internet. [/ref]