Professional Web Applications Themes

Testing in browser SWFs not loading into levels - Macromedia Flash Sitedesign

Hi, everyone...... I'm working on a project for the company that I'm working with and I'm doing my (gulp) very first Flash project. They sent me to a class and I picked up some useful stuff there. But, I'm having a helluva time with this project on a particular movie.... [url]http://b3com.com/sundance/ownership/homes.html[/url] On this page, there is a base movie that loads the background in the center section, along with the three buttons that fade in on the left. It's also supposed to load into level 1 a separate SWF file for the default text that's there. Then, when you click ...

  1. #1

    Default Testing in browser SWFs not loading into levels

    Hi, everyone......

    I'm working on a project for the company that I'm working with and I'm doing my (gulp) very first Flash project. They sent me to a class and I picked up some useful stuff there. But, I'm having a helluva time with this project on a particular movie....

    [url]http://b3com.com/sundance/ownership/homes.html[/url]

    On this page, there is a base movie that loads the background in the center section, along with the three buttons that fade in on the left. It's also supposed to load into level 1 a separate SWF file for the default text that's there. Then, when you click one of the buttons, that text is supposed to disappear and another SWF file with the appropriate content is supposed to load into level 1.

    When I test it from Flash (ie: CTRL+Enter), it works fine. The default text is loaded as it should be and, when you click on the buttons, the other sections fade in as intended.

    However, when I insert the SWF file into my HTML page using Dreamweaver (Insert->Media->Flash) and test it in a browser (Internet Explorer) it doesn't work at all. The menu fades in but the default text doesn't load nor do the other content sections when you try to click on the buttons.

    The weird thing is that I've tried to test it on a local file server at work, along with uploading it to two different FTP sites and am having the same problem. BUT, someone else uploaded it to their server and it worked ok, which makes NO sense to me whatsoever.

    If anyone could have a look and give me an idea of what might be causing the problem, that'd ROCK!

    Thanks!

    Carly H. Franklin

    [url]http://b3com.com/sundance/ownership/homes.html[/url]

    cfxcreative webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    I just had the exact same problem.
    This has to do with levels and where the file is located.
    When publishing it from flash, the extension of the folder the .swf file is in should be discarded. Say the button links to the .swf in this manner ("../mainfolder/images/movie1.swf"). When testing the movie it'll be able to find it. But when uploading it to the server "wwwroot", the folder named "mainfolder" is not there, because you're copying the files in it to root. Changing "mainfolder" to "wwwroot" is not the solution, but just deleting the first extension. So if it's ("../mainfolder/images/movie1.swf") works while on you're hard-drive, it should be ("../images/movie1.swf") on th server.

    This was my problem, hope that helps.

    Ash

    Ash Sammy Guest

  3. #3

    I think I found your problem.
    [url]http://b3com.com/sundance/movies/thehomes_wloader.swf[/url] you can test your actual base movie and it works fine, because they are called from withing the same folder.
    The problem is that your HTML doent is in /sundance/ownership/ folder
    and your movies are in /sundance/movies/ folder.
    Try eather writing:

    on (press)
    {
    getURL("../yourMovies.swf", "_level1");
    }

    instead of:

    on (press)
    {
    getURL("yourMovies.swf", "_level1");
    }

    or then puting your movies in your ownership folder

    I hope this helped

    the blue of the sea is sometimes so blue that only blood is more red..
    [#]
    TxarŠn webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks to everyone who replied. I guess it was just my logic that prevented me from figuring out what was wrong. I was thinking since the main movie was located in the movies folder that the other ones it'd be looking for to load in should remain in that folder and that it'd call them from there rather than looking in the folder where the HTML file is.

    But, then, upon reading these posts, I realized that the reason that it works testing it in Flash is because it generates an HTML page with the movie on it that's in the same folder as the SWFs.

    I'm learning!

    Thanks again to everyone!

    Carly

    cfxcreative webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest