Professional Web Applications Themes

Testing plugin in Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro - Adobe Acrobat SDK

Hi, I am trying to use Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro to test a plug-in I have created. I have previous loaded and tested this plug-in in Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro Extended and it works. Is there something I need to do to load this plug-in in Acrobat 9.0 Pro? Thanks, Jesse Perry...

  1. #1

    Default Testing plugin in Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro

    Hi,

    I am trying to use Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro to test a plug-in I have created.
    I have previous loaded and tested this plug-in in Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro Extended and it works.

    Is there something I need to do to load this plug-in in Acrobat 9.0 Pro?

    Thanks,

    Jesse Perry
    Jesse Perry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Testing plugin in Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro

    Put the plug-in in the plug-in folder of Acrobat 9.0 Pro.
    Bernd Alheit Guest

  3. #3

    Bernd,

    Thanks for the reply.

    The plug-in doesn't work in Pro even though it is in the correct directory. My question is regarding any other settings that need to be changed to make it work besides putting it into the correct directory, i.e. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\

    Is there some licensing issue or is there perhaps a way I can see what kind of error caused the plug-in not to load?

    Thanks,

    Jesse Perry
    Jesse Perry Guest

  4. #4

    Also, the "Use only certified plug-ins" in the General tab under Preferences is "not" checked. Currently in Certified Mode: is No.

    Jesse Perry
    Jesse Perry Guest

  5. #5

    Do you run Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro on the same system? Did you debug your plug-in? Do you use any feature which isn't available in Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro?
    Bernd Alheit Guest

  6. #6

    Bernd,

    I have a test box with Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro Extended installed which I have used for testing with this plug-in for 3 months. I developed this code using Visual Studio 2005. The plug-in works on this system. I loaded Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro on another test machine and copied the same plugin to the plug_ins directory of this machine from the Pro Extended plug_ins directory on the previous machine. When I start Acrobat 9.0 Pro, I don't see the menu that I created for the plug-in as I do on the original test machine.

    Is it wrong to test it on a different machine from where it was compiled?

    Jesse Perry
    Jesse Perry Guest

  7. #7

    I developed this code using Visual Studio 2005.

    Did you use the debug mode? May be that the plug-in requires some DLL's. You can check it with the Dependency Walker:
    <http://www.dependencywalker.com/>
    Bernd Alheit Guest

  8. #8

    Bernd,

    I compiled the plug-in in Debug mode in Visual Studio but the other test machine does not have Visual Studio. Is there a way to use Debug Mode in Acrobat Pro?

    Jesse
    Jesse Perry Guest

  9. #9

    I compiled the plug-in in Debug mode in Visual Studio but the other test
    machine does not have Visual Studio.

    This has nothing to do with Acrobat. It's like compiling any other application in debug mode in VS2005. If the machine you're running it on does not have Microsoft's debug libraries installed (they get installed with Visual Studio), the application won't run. You need to compile in Release mode.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    One other option is to compile the plug-in in Debug mode and Select "Use of MFC in a Static Library"

    under the Project Defaults section in the View->Project Properties->Configuration Properties->General Tab
    Atin Wadehra Guest

  11. #11

    PDL, Atin,

    Thanks for pointing out the build option in Visual Studio. I hadn't thought of it since the project was only set up for Debug target.

    I was able to create another configuration for Release after changing some project settings.

    It worked on the 2nd test machine. I was just thrown off by the plug-in working on my 1st test machine with Visual Studio installed.

    Both options you described are useful and thanks again,

    Jesse Perry
    Jesse Perry Guest