Professional Web Applications Themes

Text box tension - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hello, all. I'm currently working with about 980 electrical diagrams in DWG format and converting them to EPSin Illustrator CS. In a can, here are the issues; 1) The engineers have left MASSIVE text boxes around every item of text (hundreds per drawing) I've tried to find a way to reduce the box sizes to the text but have had no luck (resetting bounding boxes just laughs at me) 2) More seriously, as I work with these files, those using text boxes (some do not have the boxes, and those files are much easier to work with)have redundant errors that ...

  1. #1

    Default Text box tension

    Hello, all. I'm currently working with about 980 electrical diagrams in DWG format and converting them to EPSin Illustrator CS. In a can, here are the issues;

    1) The engineers have left MASSIVE text boxes around every item of text (hundreds per drawing) I've tried to find a way to reduce the box sizes to the text but have had no luck (resetting bounding boxes just laughs at me)

    2) More seriously, as I work with these files, those using text boxes (some do not have the boxes, and those files are much easier to work with)have redundant errors that occur randomly. These take the form of some text vanishing from the doent (I have saved temp working files and the text IS gone)or some text locking and becoming uneditable; not like its rastered, like its not even an object.

    It seems both of these problems could be cured by removing the text from the boxes... is there a way to do this while keeping the doent formatting? I can't imagine trying to retype over 100,000 instances of technical text!

    Thanks much for any help you can offer... deadline's are a tickin'!

    -Greg
    Gregory_Hancock@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Text box tension

    Greg,

    Do you need the text boxes?

    If not, if they are in fact independent elements, and if they have a common feature such as a stroke weight differing from everything else, you might select one and then Select>Same>Stroke Weight, delete, and see what happens. Remember to undo/quietly leave the doent without saving/work in a copy to start with.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Jacob,

    No, I don't need the text boxes, but the docs must remain vector. I'll see what happens..... (crossing fingers)
    Gregory_Hancock@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'm curious about the nature of the "text boxes." Are they in fact AreaType textframes; or are they, perhaps, clipping paths?

    You say you don't need the text boxes, but you do need the text in them, correct? If not, you could just Select>Object>Text Object and delete them.

    Another possiblility might be:

    1. Select>Objects>Text Objects.
    2. Object>Transform Each. Enter an appropriate scale factor to reduce each one about the appropriate bounding box corner.
    3. Character Palette: Set the Character size back to as desired.

    You might also try saving the file as a PDF with Preserve Illustrator Editability turned off. Then open the PDF. See if this had an effect on the text objects.

    Once you come up with a workable solution, record the steps in an Action to batch-process the files.

    JET
    James_E._Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Hi, James,

    Unfortunately, the boxes range in size far too much for resizing (some text is literally "A3" while other text is a paragraph of data).

    The text is in textframes; ideally I would like the text on a path... a nice, straight path. :)
    Gregory_Hancock@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Greg,

    It's still unclear what you are dealing with. You say:

    The engineers have left MASSIVE text boxes around every item of text

    Nevermind what the engineers have done. Explain what kind of object you are dealing with. Once you get it into AI, the text objects are native AI objects of some kind. That means if they are live text they are either AreaType text objects or PathType text objects.

    You say:

    some text locking and becoming uneditable; not like its rastered, like
    its not even an object.

    What kind of objects are these? Are any of them selectable? If so, what does the Appearance Palette indicate is selected when you select one?

    It sounds like you have (mostly) a bunch of AreaType objects, many of which have their textframes sized much larger than necessary to contain the text. If so, is there anything consistent about these? For example, are they all set to left align?

    Such a situation could be handled by a script which effectively replaces each AreaType object with a PointType object in at least approximately the same position.

    But it's those other "odd" objects that sound funky. In the electrical schematics I deal with (which are imported DXFs), the text objects are PointType. The objects you are describing still sound like some of them might be text objects (either AreaType or PointType) which are actually contained within clipping paths or groups.

    Did you try the converstion to/from PDF that I suggested? Usually, just the process of saving as PDF with AI Editing Capability turned off, and then re-opening the PDF in AI converts each line of text into a separate PointType object.

  7. #7

    Hey, Jet, the short story is that the PDF conversion did work... thanks bunches! Yeah, the text was in AreaType objects, and they had no common alignment (some were left, others right, still others centered). So far, none of the new PointType objects have reacted by "freezing". Just FYI, they couldn't be selected in any way... they just sat on screen, and if you minimized then maximized Illustrator again random frozen text would simply vanish. Ah... I love technology!

    ;)
    Gregory_Hancock@adobeforums.com Guest