Professional Web Applications Themes

Text Colors Won't Change - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

:disgust; Have many years using Pagemaker. Working within PM what you tell the text to do, it does. Not true with HTML, I am finding out. It is as if we are back in the stone age with this HTML code structure. I have designed a web site for our church www.redhillssbc.org https://www.redhillssbc.org, and have recently added a photo as background to our home page. That necessitated trying to change the font colors to allow for readability. PROBLEM: From Design window, in Page Properties, under Links, the color used for "links" has no effect on most of the linked text. ...

  1. #1

    Default Text Colors Won't Change

    :disgust; Have many years using Pagemaker. Working within PM what you tell the
    text to do, it does. Not true with HTML, I am finding out. It is as if we are
    back in the stone age with this HTML code structure.

    I have designed a web site for our church www.redhillssbc.org
    https://www.redhillssbc.org, and have recently added a photo as background to
    our home page. That necessitated trying to change the font colors to allow for
    readability.

    PROBLEM: From Design window, in Page Properties, under Links, the color used
    for "links" has no effect on most of the linked text. Sometimes the selected
    colors show within Dreamweaver, but when saved and "put" the web site shows
    some previous colors that were selected not the new colors. To verify that the
    changes have been "uploaded", I would make some minor change to the page and
    checked to verify that change. The upload was good every time.

    Sometimes, within DW, the changes to Page Properties/Links/Text Color would
    have no effect on the DW page display. Even tried identfying the text and
    choosing No Color. The old text still shows.
    Have tried in Split Window/in code window, to delete references to color or
    style to have to go back in and add text font, color, and size, and color. Even
    that doesn't change the old color still showing on the web.

    Is there a global setting? Which has priority, page properties, or individual
    settings? If I delete the code references to all the CSS styles, would that
    help? I have not used any CSS style sheets, but DW assigns CSS styles on its
    own.

    Frustrated
    Tony Salso
    com

    ajsmvs Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Text Colors Won't Change

    > Not true with HTML, I am finding out. It is as if we are

    With regard to having the same level of control as you do with a page layout
    program, of course. But the WEB is not like a piece of paper. You cannot
    know what configuration I have on my computer, and so your display must be
    built to accommodate that.

    You cannot work effectively with an HTML authoring program without
    understanding something about HTML, just like you cannot work with a page
    layout program without understanding something about printing. With HTML
    authoring, the answer to ALL layout problems lies in the HTML code on the
    page.

    Please tell us which text on your first link is giving you trouble.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "ajsmvs" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Murray, Thanks for your response.

    As to code, I am beginning to spend time reviewing the code trying to deceifer
    mistakes. It must be admitted that prior to HTML the last time code knowledge
    was necessary was perf tape. I started teaching on dedicated phototypesetting
    machines with perf tape back in the 80's (?). What I have noticed is that this
    HTML code shows up in places it shouldn't. I remember Front Page being accused
    of dumping all sorts of unnecessary code into a project, but from what I see,
    Dreamweaver does the same. Perhaps the nature of the beast, but undeniably
    still very clumsy.

    At the top of the home page http://www.redhillssbc.org the first line below
    the pictures in DW design view is linked and correctly shows the color as Light
    Blue #00ffff. But the web site shows Dark Blue #000066. In DW it is correct,
    but on the web incorrect.

    This next one is different. Three lines down is an email link. In DW design
    view it shows as Dk Bl #000066, the Text Color box correctly shows Lite Blue
    #00ffff, and the web site is Dk Blue #000066. Go figure! I suspect that
    somewhere in the code structure in front of this text is some left over code
    from the original design of using text as dk blue. IN DW the display (Design
    view) is incorrect, and the web is incorrect, but the text color box is correct.

    After writing my original note here, I created style sheets for Main Headings,
    Section hds, text, and links. I then deleted all other styles. I then went
    through the home page attaching the styles to the text. DW created new style
    sheets when I would add any variation to the text as in making a word italics.
    Using styles did help the problem some, but I still am fighting incorrect
    colors. I have also turned off the Page Properties as to text and linked items.

    Thanks for the response.
    Tony Salso
    com

    ajsmvs Guest

  4. #4

    > hat I have noticed is that this

    Only when placed there by users, though. DW doesn't do this.

    What is an example of this? Perhaps you are interpreting the code you see
    incorrectly.

    In looking at the page you have posted, there are so many errors of usage
    and practice, it's hard to know where to begin, really. Running the page
    through the W3 validator - http://validator.w3.org, I find 57 errors -

    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redhillssbc.o rg%2F

    It really doesn't make sense to try to fix layout issues without tackling
    these errors.

    Generally speaking, a valid and complete HTML page contains one each <html>,
    of the tags on the page within the (putative) body are left unclosed. For
    example, the main table (and the page itself) ends like this -

    bgcolor="#333333" style="width: 13%">
    163px"><div align="center"><a href="mailto:org"

    Shall we set about correcting these things before addressing the fact that
    your "body" is where the CSS for the page declares -

    a:visited {
    color: #6699FF;
    }
    a:hover {
    color: #FFFF00;
    }
    a:active {
    color: #00FF00;
    }
    a:link {
    font-family: "Comic Sans MS";
    font-size: 9pt;
    font-style: normal;
    border-top-width: thin;
    border-right-width: thin;
    border-bottom-width: thin;
    border-left-width: thin;
    border-top-style: none;
    border-right-style: none;
    border-bottom-style: none;
    border-left-style: none;
    padding: 5pt;
    height: auto;
    width: auto;
    }

    Now, since the style for a:link is declared last, it has priority over all
    other pseudo-class rules by the CSS cascade, and since it declares NO color
    value, the default (dark blue) color applies. You are right that (in this
    case) DW gets it wrong, being flummoxed by your page code anomalies. On a
    page with SO many errors of usage, you cannot expect DW to render things
    properly.

    So, I'm willing to help you work on this page, but you have to promise to
    stop thinking of DW as a sort of page composition program.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "ajsmvs" <com> wrote in message