Professional Web Applications Themes

Text contour around objects in Master Pages - Adobe Indesign Windows

InDesign CS. W2000 sp4. 1GB RAM. Zllns GB free space. Hi there. We are migrating from QuarkXPress to InDesign CS. What used to be something quite straightforward in QX seems a bersome task in ID CS. 1. How do you make text in frames contour an object in the master page? We have master pages with a repeating text frame. In live pages, this text frame has to be contoured appropriately by the main text frames. Since the frame is freezed in the master, I have to Ctrl+Shift click to override each frame individually to make it surge to the ...

  1. #1

    Default Text contour around objects in Master Pages

    InDesign CS. W2000 sp4. 1GB RAM. Zllns GB free space.

    Hi there. We are migrating from QuarkXPress to InDesign CS. What used to be something quite straightforward in QX seems a bersome task in ID CS.

    1. How do you make text in frames contour an object in the master page? We have master pages with a repeating text frame. In live pages, this text frame has to be contoured appropriately by the main text frames. Since the frame is freezed in the master, I have to Ctrl+Shift click to override each frame individually to make it surge to the page. In 200-page docs, it is a nightmare. Also, if the master-page frame changes, I have to delete all the old ones, create the new one in the master and then override them all again. Uuff! ´`:O Is there a way of doing this elegantly? Is there any possibility of re-linking and or reverting the frames to the master?

    2. Lesser concern, but still: connected with 1., when I try to override the frame when other objects are over it, Ctrl+Shift click doesn't work unless I move aside the overlaying objects, which is a problem in zlln-paged books. This would be solved if I knew a way to solve the above problem.

    Any ideas as to how to solve mainly question 1.?

    Thank you all and all the best.
    Antonio_Martínez@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Text contour around objects in Master Pages

    Consider if you need that text frame on the master page at all. Why is it there? I almost never have text frames on the master unless they're there to carry information that needs to be repeated on every page.

    Read about InDesign's text frame threading in the Help system.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    1. No and no.
    2. Organize with Layers?

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  4. #4

    Dave, as you said, the text frame is in the master page because it repeats itself all over the book. Anyway, it could be an image or a polygon, and the problem of text not contouring around it on live pages would persist, would it?

    I don't see how such a simple thing that can be done right away in QX for example, is not possible in ID. Doesn't anyone need to place a logo in master pages and then make it so that it is not overwritten by live-page text frames?

    Since you re-direct me there, do you think this has anything to do with frame threading? I think I can manage frame threads, and don't see the point, though.

    Mike, the hint on layers leaves the thing stuck in the need of making repeated, master-placed objects contoured.

    Mike and Dave, thank you guys for your answers.
    Antonio_Martínez@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Antonio, you're right, ID doesn't honor text wraps on master page items. It's an oft-requested feature request.

    If you put just those 2 master page text frames (the ones that need to be wrapped) on a higher layer than the main text on your doc pages -- do this on the master page -- then you can easily Ctrl-Shift-click them to override them on the doc pages, because they're the "top" item. If you set text wraps on the master frames, as soon as you override them on the doc pages, they'll "remember" their text wrap. In ID, stacking order is ignored when wrapping ... items above or below a text frame can force a wrap.

    Overridden text frames still retain some links to their master page source: Their width and height, position, stroke and background color are still linked. Their textual content and text formatting are not.

    If you've overridden a text frame and then you change the textual content or text formatting of its master page source, you can easily get the doc page version to "update" to match. Select the overridden one(s) in the doc page and choose Remove Selected Overrides from the Pages palette menu. The frame will change to match the master page version of itself. Then Ctrl-Shift-click again to override it so that the wrap comes back.

    You can only do this on a spread-by-spread basis. In the unlikely event that these 2 text frames are the *only* master page items, you could use the "All" commands in the Pages palette for this work. First, shift-click all the page icons in your Pages palette (or just the ones you want this applied to), then from the Pages palette menu, choose Override All Master Page Items (to get the frames to wrap) or Remove All Overrides (to update them all to a changed master text frame).

    AM
    Anne-Marie Guest

  6. #6

    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to do, but I don't see why setting the appropriate text wrap options for the frames/objects on the live page wouldn't solve your problem. Text wrap will affect the frame on the master page as well.

    I think Dave's point about threading was just that unless you need the SAME text in the same position on every page, it is usually easier to put your text in threaded frames on the live pages.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Ann-Marie posted while I was typing, so I didn't see her response. I realize now that I probably have it backwards -- you want text on the live page to wrap around a master item.

  8. #8

    One solution is to simply reshape the text frames on the master page so that the frame itself provides the run-around. I keep toying with the idea of a script that would do this for you by reshaping a selected frame to take on the shape of the wrap that intruded into it.

    I don't think it would be that hard to write -- but I have no need for it myself, so I haven't gotten around to it.

  9. #9

    One solution is to simply reshape the text frames on the master page so
    that the frame itself provides the run-aroun

    I was thinking this too; but I'm guessing that he's not using actual master page frames for the "main body frame" ... just pouring text into the doc pages using the margin/column guides.

    but I could be wrong of course. the reshaping method would be easiest.

    AM
    Anne-Marie Guest

  10. #10

    This is a situation where the use of master frames makes eminent sense. You need an oddly shaped frame and you don't want to have to remake it on every page.