Professional Web Applications Themes

Text Frame Contents keep disappearing - Adobe Indesign Windows

Whenever I change the size of a text frame, the content keeps disappearing. HELP!!!! Windows ID CS...

  1. #1

    Default Text Frame Contents keep disappearing

    Anthony_Yavasile@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Text Frame Contents keep disappearing

    Is the text set to non-breaking? Highlight it and check it in the
    character palette.

    Do you have align to baseline grid turned on?

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Is it near any object (above or below) with text wrap turned on?
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    No - There are no text wraps. How to I check the Align to Baseline Grid. This is a very annoying quirck
    Anthony_Yavasile@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You'll find align to baseline in the paragraph format menu. Ctrl-M. It looks like 2 sets of venetian blinds, and you want the ones that are uneven.

    HTH
    AG
    Alan_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Check out the clue that Bob gave you.

    If you resize the text frame down so that there is a word that's too long to fit on a line and you have no break set (either explicitly or in a paragraph style), InDesign will show a blank text frame.

    This can also happen if you inadvertently delete a space between two words and thereby create a "word" that's too wide and can't be broken.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks Guys. Align to Baseline is Off and it is still doing it. The text frame is an okay size both vertically and horizontally. When I put a carriage return in the middle of a paragraph, everything after the return disappears. BUT - it doesn't do it all the time.
    Anthony_Yavasile@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Anthony--

    From what you've said, I'd guess that the Start Paragraph setting of your paragraph format is either Next Frame, Next Column, or Next Page. When you enter a return, InDesign pushes the start of the next paragraph to the next frame, column, or page. If you don't have another frame, column, or page, the text will be invisible.

    Try this--select all of the text and press Ctrl-Alt-K. InDesign displays the Keep Options dialog box. If you see anything other than Anywhere in the Start Paragraph pop-up menu, you've found the culprit.

    Another thought--left indents can also push text out of a text frame when the frame is narrower than the indent. It's possible that the "next style" setting contains a style with a large left indent. When you press Return/Enter, InDesign applies the next style paragraph style, and your text disappears.

    Thanks,

    Ole
    Olav_Kvern@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Anthony

    This is the first time you've mentioned carriage return.

    Are you using the enter key in the numeric keypad? If so you are invoking
    the keyboard shortcut for a frame break, so everything after the carriage
    return gets pumped into the next frame. The fact that the problem isn't
    consistent is probably because part of the time you are using the numeric
    keypad enter key and part of the time the other (correct) one.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Thank you guys for all your wonderful comments. Let me see if this fixes the problem!!! You all are my heros!
    Anthony_Yavasile@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    You just need to turn off the "Bloq Num" Key =)
    And... problem solved
    I've just read it in a forum
    Unregistered Guest

  12. #12

    I had a similar problem until i realized my text box was set to multiple columns.
    To fix this I went to Object > Text Frame Options > Columns and set Number to 1
    theodor.giesel Guest

  13. #13

    I had the same problem and tried all the solutions none worked for me. Then I shut off the text wrap and that did the trick. Object/Text Frame Options.../Ignore Text Wrap
    Unregistered Guest

  14. #14

    Same thing happened to me the other day on a Mac, but only on my MacBook Pro.
    I found that the key commands were changed. So, I just made new shortcuts to InDesign.
    I still have 5.0 and it works fine. It only happened in the 5.5 version. Not sure if it was there from when I upgraded or just happened. Haven't had the 5.5 for more than 2 weeks and I guess it was there all the time, since I've been doing a lot of soft returns instead.
    But now it works with my new key commands.
    Unregistered Guest