Professional Web Applications Themes

Text frame created on master pages is notselectable on doent pages? - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Mr Levine: I believe have read (glup!) that author Sandee Cohen sustained that this practice of placing text frames in master pages was essential for some operations related to flow perfect text (text with very specific align to grid specifications) because it avoids the manual reposition of frames in each page: as get aligned to the top margin. This practice makes the flowing of text perfectly aligned to the top margin without spaces... that is something that happens when you flow text with strict align to grid conditions. I am confused now....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Text frame created on master pages is notselectable on doent pages?

    mariana_henao@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    As much as I admire Sandee, and if she did indeed write that, I
    disagree. If you set up your margins properly as well as your baseline
    grid it simply doesn't matter if you have a master text frame or not.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    The only way to obtain perfectly top margin aligned pages (with baseline grid attributes) has been using this procedure of placed text frames in master pages; otherwise, the flowed text appears in all pages misaligned with the top margin -showing a little space of white space-

    For us this is a good reason to believe in frame text related to master pages. And MS Cohen, almost sure, wrote something in this forum, but could not find it. I hope I am not creating a mess...
    mariana_henao@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    That's because you haven't set your text frame defaults to match what you want (notably the first-line baseline offset settings). Change your defaults to match the settings in your master frame and the problem will go away when you don't use master frames.

    Using master frames for this kind of work is an invitation to downstream problems if you ever have to shuffle pages around. The only time it is worth making master frames for this kind of thing is when you have non-standard flow requirements, like more than one frame on a page or two different text flows on the facing pages.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Mr Saunders:

    It sounds very good.

    Using text frames in master pages is an extra step. Your suggestion means to be so careful with the setting of the first frame, before flowing text... Perhaps we are erroneous thinking that the best way to manage perfectly bottom aligned footnotes is through align to grid-align to baseline. Anyway, we always have the deep of text area matching exactly the leading of text to guarantee the backing up of text in the printing.

    We will tray. Thank you very much. This forum is like an daily upgraded version of ID.

    M.
    mariana_henao@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    sorry. we will try.