Professional Web Applications Themes

Text intermittently 'vibrates' in X - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm using Mandrake 9.1 with a Hitachi CM715 monitor. There is a subtle problem with my X display: it is slightly 'wavy.' Or you could say the text vibrates. It is not terrible (some users don't notice it), but I'd like to fix it. I've googled and browsed HOWTOs, but haven't quite figured this out. I'm using the sync rates suggested by Hitachi. I've fiddled with settings in Mandrake Control Center with no luck. MCC doesn't seem to allow you to change refresh rate or polarity; could these be relevant? Changing the screem dimensions and # of colors doesn't help. ...

  1. #1

    Default Text intermittently 'vibrates' in X

    I'm using Mandrake 9.1 with a Hitachi CM715 monitor. There is a subtle problem with my X
    display: it is slightly 'wavy.' Or you could say the text vibrates. It is not terrible
    (some users don't notice it), but I'd like to fix it. I've googled and browsed HOWTOs, but
    haven't quite figured this out.

    I'm using the sync rates suggested by Hitachi. I've fiddled with settings in Mandrake Control
    Center with no luck. MCC doesn't seem to allow you to change refresh rate or polarity; could
    these be relevant?

    Changing the screem dimensions and # of colors doesn't help. This problem is not evident in
    console mode. This monitor did not behave this way with my old computer.

    Any pointers appreciated. Thanks.
    ignatius@notreal.net Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Text intermittently 'vibrates' in X

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:38:01 GMT, Ignatius (net) <> wrote:

    Maybe it's EMI. try moving the computer away from the monitor. Move
    anything else that might produce a magnetic field -- anything with an
    electric motor or unshielded speaker.
    TCS Guest

  3. #3

    On 25 Sep 2003 21:37:09 GMT, TCS wrote:

    > Maybe it's EMI. try moving the computer away from the monitor. Move
    > anything else that might produce a magnetic field -- anything with an
    > electric motor or unshielded speaker.[/ref]

    Have seen moving the video cable helps.
    Bit Guest

  4. #4

    On 25 Sep 2003 21:37:09 GMT, TCS <The.Central.Scrutinizerp.o.b.o.x.com> wrote:

    > Maybe it's EMI. try moving the computer away from the monitor. Move
    > anything else that might produce a magnetic field -- anything with an
    > electric motor or unshielded speaker.[/ref]

    It happens with me when a fluorescent desk lamp is too close to the
    monitor.

    --
    Bob Parnes
    net

  5. #5

    Bob Parnes wrote:

    .... or too many drugs/alchohol :))
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    Mencken and Nathan's Fifteenth Law of The Average American:
    The worst actress in the company is always the manager's wife.

    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for all the good suggestions. Unfortunately none worked.

    I've noted that the problem is exacerbated if I use the mouse to select
    text, or if the HD is working hard. Any other ideas?
    ignatius@notreal.net Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:39:52 GMT, Ignatius (net)
    <> wrote:

    Get a new video card.

    --
    Commander Spiral Pyjama Pseudo-Rhinocerous Feline Thingamajig Bill Mar
    (the First)

  8. #8

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:39:52 GMT, Ignatius (net) <> wrote:

    Are you an intel 815 chipset for video?

    It's a real p.o.s. and it's linux support is minimal.
    Spend the fifteen dollars and get a decent video board.
    TCS Guest

  9. #9

    TCS <The.Central.Scrutinizerp.o.b.o.x.com> wrote:

    I'm not sure what exactly is inside, perhaps I should take a look. I got the computer without
    manuals. It was running windows with a driver for 'ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X.' Mandrake
    recognizes it as such, and suggests Mach 64 Utah as my X-server.

    I've solved the problem, though, by downgrading to xfree 3.3.6! That made the display
    rock-steady in Icewm. However, doing this prevents KDE from working. The screen goes black,
    then wipes down white, back to black, wipes down white, etc. When in Icewm, I can't run
    Konqueror, either. It opens a window very briefly then disappears.

    If this chipset is hopeless I guess I should just buy a new card, though I'm still wondering
    if I've overlooked something. Since I've now seen it work perfectly (sans KDE) I'm still
    thinking the problem must be with the configuration.

    ignatius@notreal.net Guest

  10. #10

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:11:34 GMT, Ignatius (net) <> wrote: [/ref]

    never mind. the ati rage pro chipset is totally different than that intel
    815 that I suffered w/ work a few years ago.

    TCS Guest

  11. #11

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:38:01 -0400, net wrote:

    Well, just so that you are not completely isolated on this, I have had a
    similar issue, though probably (from the sound of what you wrote) not the
    exact same issue. And firstly, I am running Redhat. If I understand
    correctly, this box has an onboard i810 video, for whatever that is worth,
    but probably not much. This worked fine without issue with the RH7.2
    distro. I upgraded a bunch of packages (and kernel's) over about a year's
    time, and all still was fine with the video.

    When I upgraded to the RH7.3, the video got a strange issue, right away.
    When coming back up after apm display powerdown, sometimes right away and
    sometimes after several minutes, more quickly after I am actually using
    stuff, the video flickers for just about 20 seconds, then is all done and
    fine.
    Starts with the display slightly narrower than full screen, - then
    flickers maybe 200 times between that and full width. The vertical size
    does not bother at all. 20 seconds later, the display is at full width
    and stays there, stable and no problem, until the next apm display
    shutdown and powerup. It drives `The Lady` absolutely bonkers, but I
    figure I still have quite a few 20 seconds's left in my life (hopefully)
    to wait, and just tolerate it, especially since it is easier than figuring
    out what else to do about it, other than reverting to 7.2. ...Could
    disable apm, I suppose, ... ;)
    So, sorry that I have no solution to suggest. My answer is just some
    additional patience, 20 seconds at a time. I could go back to 7.2, but
    after all the upgrades, do not want to do that. But, thought I'd share
    that with you in this thread, even if it is not the exact same issue. Too
    much drugs or booze could probably produce a similar effect, but would
    probably not stop after 20 seconds every time. Just because it is an
    unusual issue, does not mean it is not a real bug of some sort. My issue
    might not be the same as yours.
    BTW, I have pretty much determined that my issue is probably and purely
    a software issue, rather than a hardware issue. I say this because, if I
    do a <Ctl>-<Alt>-<F1> or -<F2> thru -<F6> to go into a console (on mt RH
    system), the flickering stops immediately. Doing a <Ctl>-<Alt>-<F7> to
    return to my X session, restarts the 20 second video dance. Go figure,
    but don't worry too much.

    ...Also, if your video is doing this continuously, there could be a RFI
    (Radio Frequency Interference) issue. The RFI can impact the video
    performance directly and continuously, or can impact the upstream CPU
    processes adversely and thereby afflict the video. You _do_ want to chase
    this down until you understand your particular issue. I had an experience
    once where keying the transmit key on a radio, too near the display, did
    actually and totally, completely destroy the CPU of my workstation. No
    joke, it was _total_ toast. Not to worry unnecessarily; be happy, if
    possible; and hope your problems are superficial, at worst.

    Best wishes.
    Newsbox Guest