Professional Web Applications Themes

Text Overprint Default - Macromedia Freehand

When I convert black text to paths it automatically sets the black to overprint. I do not want it to do that. How do I change the default for this so that when I convert black text to paths it will not overprint?...

  1. #1

    Default Text Overprint Default

    When I convert black text to paths it automatically sets the black to
    overprint. I do not want it to do that. How do I change the default for this so
    that when I convert black text to paths it will not overprint?

    RonCWilliams Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Text Overprint Default

    RonCWilliams wrote:

    You can't.

    You can use black text Styles in which overprint is unchecked for the black
    ink. However, if you change the text color to any other color and then back
    to black, overprint will once again automatically apply.

    I have repeatedly asked for a Preference to disable automatic overprinting
    of Black text when converted to paths, but have never had my wish granted.
    Since the future of FH is currently in limbo, I don't know if it's any use
    to make wishes. Send a wish if it makes you feel better:

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/?6213=10

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    > You can't.[/ref]

    That is the way it should be. Specially if you make files for print.

    Non-overprinting black text over a backcground is virtully impossible to register and always leaves a white contour which makes the text illegible and ugly.

    Jukka
    Armadillo Guest

  4. #4

    Armadillo wrote:

    >> You can't.[/ref]
    >
    > That is the way it should be. Specially if you make files for print.[/ref]

    Ah, but therein lies the rub. Not everyone makes files for print. A number
    of us make files for other manufacturing processes, and we'd like a
    preference -- just a preference -- to turn off black text overprinting.

    You'd never have to touch it if you have no need for it.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, Jukka, I am aware of the need to overprint black for offset printing, and
    this feature has been an invaluable help to me in the past. However, in what I
    am doing now, the vast majority of my work is either printed on a high end
    color copier or saved to PDF, and while the overprinting feature is not always
    a problem in these scenarios, it can be at times. So, I was hoping to solve the
    problem by being able to turn the feature off -- then I never have to worry
    about whether it's going to be a problem or not. Thank you for your help, Jukka.

    Judy: Thank you for your insight on this. I was hoping to avoid having to set
    up a style in order to not overprint black text, but it sounds like I'm not
    going to have much choice at this point. I have been using Freehand since 1994
    and this is the first time I have found this to be an obstacle. I certainly
    hope that Macromedia addresses it in the future, or more to the point, that
    they don't abandon Freehand all together (I'm not a very big fan of
    Illustrator).

    RonCWilliams Guest

  6. #6

    maybe freehands find&replace tool becomes handy in this subject also. there is an option to remove overprinting from the doc/page or selection. never used it but assume it is working.
    veeall Guest

  7. #7

    OK, I see.

    If you create pdf files with Acrobat just turn off "Preserve overprint settings" and you'll get a file with no overprinting. You can of course print the pdf file on color copier - probably will get better color matching too.

    Jukka
    Armadillo Guest

  8. #8

    Just don't use 'Black'.

    Try one of the blacks in the Pantone swatches such as 'Pantone Black' or
    'Pantone Black 6'
    A.Poster Guest

  9. #9

    Don't use 'Black'.

    Try using one such as 'Pantone Black' or 'Pantone Black 6'.
    Glars Guest

  10. #10

    If the text is small enough to be rendered illegible by misregister,
    then you should be doing everything you can to avoid converting to paths
    anyway, but yes, it's almost always best to overprint black text.

    But the most common scenario where I'll convert text to paths is when
    i'm creating a logo. I'll design in black & white, using live type. Then
    I'll convert to paths to tweak the letterforms, kerning etc, then
    finally colour it up. There was an instance a few years ago where one
    such logo was to be yellow on a dark green background. Somebody didn't
    check the proof/films properly, and we wound up having to overprint the
    whole run with an opaque white/yellow, which didn't look exactly beautiful.

    I've learned to be very aware of this behaviour, but for the vast
    majority of my work (virtually all for offset print), it would be better
    to switch it off. But while people are still converting to paths
    willy-nilly, I can understand why this is the default.

    --

    Danny
    Danny Guest

  11. #11

    Glars wrote:

    A Pantone Solid Black won't overprint, but it will print to its own plate
    when making separations, which is often undesirable. It's no use creating
    another big problem trying to solve a little one.

    I leave Preferences/Display/'Show overprinting objects' checked. That way
    the overprint o's pattern warns me to manually turn off overprint.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  12. #12

    You can edit the Style Behavior of “Normal Text” and uncheck overprint.

    RonCWilliams wrote:

    Ruben Guest