Professional Web Applications Themes

Text-to-HTML processing program - UNIX Programming

Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia markup would be ideal)? -- "It's easier to find people online who openly support the KKK than people who openly support the RIAA" -- comment on Wikipedia (Email: <co.ku>, but first subtract 275 and reverse the last two letters)....

  1. #1

    Default Text-to-HTML processing program

    Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
    written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
    modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
    and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
    markup would be ideal)?

    (Email: <co.ku>, but first subtract 275 and reverse
    the last two letters).

    phil Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Text-to-HTML processing program

    email.address (phil hunt) writes:

    I really wish Wikipedia, BBCodes, and all that would just use regular
    HTML instead of continually inventing new "simplified" markup codes
    for users to remember. The one thing they do that's useful is convert
    blank lines to <p>.
    Paul Guest

  3. #3

    On 02 Jan 2004 22:18:56 -0800, Paul Rubin <http://invalid> wrote:

    >I really wish Wikipedia, BBCodes, and all that would just use regular
    >HTML instead of continually inventing new "simplified" markup codes
    >for users to remember. The one thing they do that's useful is convert
    >blank lines to <p>.[/ref]

    Wikipedia markup is significantly easier to use than HTML. Compare:

    This is a ''list'':
    * A list
    * [http://www.cabalamat.org/ my website]
    * [http://slashdot.org/ Slashdot]

    With:

    <ul>
    </ul>

  4. #4

    phil hunt:

    "reStructuredText is an easy-to-read, what-you-see-is-what-you-get
    plaintext markup syntax and pr system. The reStructuredText pr is
    a component of Docutils. reStructuredText is a revision and
    reinterpretation of the StructuredText and Setext lightweight markup
    systems."
    http://docutils.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html#what-is-restructuredtext

    "Structured Text is a simple plain text markup format used by Zope and
    many Zope products, invented by.. JimFulton? ? The idea is to have text
    that is easy to read both in source and rendered form."
    http://dev.zope.org/Members/jim/StructuredTextWiki/FrontPage/

    --
    René Pijlman
    Rene Guest

  5. #5

    phil hunt wrote:

    How about troff? Or if you really want to keep it simple, why not use
    the <pre> tag in HTML?

    Jeff Guest

  6. #6

    "phil hunt" <email.address> wrote in message

    There's an old saying that's attributed to a lot of people:

    For every hard problem, there is a solution that is simple,
    obvious and wrong.

    Markup seems to be one of those problems. Lots of people
    look at the existing markup languages out there, go "oh, yuck!,"
    and invent a simpler markup language that promptly starts growing
    until it reaches the state of the languages they originally rejected
    as too complex.

    John Roth

    John Guest

  7. #7

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:05:54 -0500, Jeff Schwab <net> wrote:

    >How about troff? Or if you really want to keep it simple, why not use
    >the <pre> tag in HTML?[/ref]

    I wasn't aware troff did HTML output.

    Yuk.

  8. #8

    phil hunt wrote:

    >>How about troff? Or if you really want to keep it simple, why not use
    >>the <pre> tag in HTML?[/ref]
    >

    > I wasn't aware troff did HTML output.[/ref]

    There are separate utilities to do the translation. I have
    groff/grohtml on my linux machine; I think there's something different
    on my Solaris box.

    > Yuk.[/ref]

    Simple.

    Of course, one *could* just use HTML, and stop whining. :)

    Jeff Guest

  9. #9

    phil hunt wrote:

    Last time I looked for it, I Googled for

    txt2html

    and found a program of that name based on

    txt2tex

    I haven't used them heavily.

    There are other "plaintext with conventions" text formats out there,
    but I can't find my pointers to them.

    --
    Reinier
    Reinier Guest