Professional Web Applications Themes

Text tool - text goes white, background changes color - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Bill, Anytime you notice something wierd going on with this program it is a good practice to reset prefs. Shut down PE2 then open again. As soon as the program starts to open grab for Ctrl, Alt, Shift, hold until it asks if you want to delete settings, "Yes". This has helped me quite a few times in the past. Terry...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Text tool - text goes white, background changes color

    Bill,

    Anytime you notice something wierd going on with this program it is a good practice to reset prefs. Shut down PE2 then open again. As soon as the program starts to open grab for Ctrl, Alt, Shift, hold until it asks if you want to delete settings, "Yes". This has helped me quite a few times in the past.

    Terry
    Terry Boyles Guest

  2. #2

    Bill,

    Your problem puzzles me.

    First, from your description, it would appear that you have selected the
    "type mask" tool and not the "type" tool. The color changes and behavior
    you describe are exactly the way the "type mask" tool works. If you look at
    your tool bar, and you see a hollow dashed "T" symbol instead of the solid
    "T" where you select the type tool, the "type mask" tool is selected.

    What puzzles me is how you managed to save the file and have text present
    after re-opening it if the "type mask" tool was the active tool. The "type
    mask" tool just makes a selection which you would have had to have filled
    somehow. Otherwise there would be no text.

    If you have the "type mask" tool selected, to change it to the regular
    "type" tool, click and hold the cursor over the "T" symbol until the popup
    menu appears then select the solid "T" tool. All should be back to normal.

    If you have the regular "type" tool selected and not the "type mask" tool
    and it behaves the way you described, I would suspect the preferences file
    is corrupted. You will need to delete your preferences file. Reinstalling
    will not replace the preference file, you have to delete it.

    Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (MAC)
    immediately after starting PSE. Click Yes, when prompted, to delete the
    preferences file. You may have to try this a few times if you're not quick
    enough. A new preferences file will be used the next time you start PSE.

    I see Terry Boyles told you how to delete preferences while I was writing
    this. Thanks Terry! I would recommend looking at the tool selected as I
    described above first though. You can also try resetting the tool (click on
    the first "T" on the option bar and select reset tool) to see if that clears
    it up. You don't always need to delete the preference file.

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  3. #3

    Bob,

    Glad you chimed in on this one. I have never used the Type Tool myself and have bookmarked this for review in the future. Offered the only advice I knew of at this time.

    Terry
    Terry Boyles Guest

  4. #4

    Bill Barmettler

    I have had this happen when in index color mode. Check to see what mode
    you are in.

    Dave

    Dave Hamer Guest

  5. #5

    Dave,

    Interesting! It does work that way in indexed mode. I hadn't tried placing
    text in an indexed image using PSE before. I usually work in RGB and
    convert at the end -- too constraining otherwise. It also works the same
    way in bitmap mode.

    It's curious that it leaves the text selected like the text mask tool only
    filled in. A bug or a feature???

    Good catch,
    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest