Professional Web Applications Themes

Text Transparant through all layers? - Macromedia Freehand

First, I'm new to Freehand, though I have used Fireworks for awhile... I'm printing a single color (white) logo on a pint glass item for promtions. What I would like to do is have text attached to an elipse around my logo actually show up clear, within the elipse path. I have create an elipse with a wide stroke (white), I created text and attached the text to the elipse. Great. Now how do I make it such that the text effectively creates a hole through the white elipse path (not a color, basically the elipse is transparant where the ...

  1. #1

    Default Text Transparant through all layers?

    First, I'm new to Freehand, though I have used Fireworks for awhile...

    I'm printing a single color (white) logo on a pint glass item for promtions.
    What I would like to do is have text attached to an elipse around my logo
    actually show up clear, within the elipse path. I have create an elipse with a
    wide stroke (white), I created text and attached the text to the elipse.
    Great. Now how do I make it such that the text effectively creates a hole
    through the white elipse path (not a color, basically the elipse is transparant
    where the text is, sort of a negative text effect)?

    Thanks in advance, -Rick

    techbuzz Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Text Transparant through all layers?

    I might be tempted to do the art as a negative and then have the printer
    make a clear positive instead of a neg to print from.

    dp

    D. Guest

  3. #3

    1. If you use the 'Expand Stroke' Xtra, ('Xtras' menu> Path Operations> Expand Stroke) you can convert the stroked path into a shape with paths outlining the inner and outer edges of the elipse.

    2. Then use 'Convert to Paths' (in the 'Text' menu) on your text to allow you to use the font's paths instead of live text.

    3. If any text characters are overlapping, use the Union command ('Modify' menu > Combine> Union') on the text to avoid even-odd fill gapping at the overlapping points.

    4. Lastly, join the expanded stroke object and the unionized text object into a single composite path using the 'Join' command. ('Edit' Menu) This should give you a single object with the inner and outer edges of the elipse and letter-shaped 'windows' through the object.

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

    Bill Guest

  4. #4

    techbuzz wrote:

    I do this by making a composite path of the letters and outer edges of the
    path.

    1. Create a custom spot color, a white named 'Etched glass' or any name
    logical to you. I like to create another spot color, 'glass', in a nice
    amber ale color.

    2. Clone your ellipse, because when you convert text to paths, you lose the
    stroke attributes.

    3. Convert text to paths.

    4. On the other ellipse with the wide stroke, detach text from path. Select
    stroke and use Expand stroke. This gives you a ring made two ellipses.

    5. Now select the ring and the letters. Join. You now have a composite path
    made of the ring and letters. Make it 'Etched glass' color.

    6. Draw a rectangle (or pint glass shape) behind the logo, filled with your
    nice ale color. If you constructed this correctly, you should see the ale
    color through the letters.

    Find out which file format the glassware company prefers. If you export to
    Illustrator 7 or EPS, they will have no trouble working with the file.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    techbuzz wrote:

    Not having experience with that field not withstanding, Plank's idea
    sounds good.

    To get the shape it sounds like you want you will need to clone the
    ellipse and detach the text (delete that freed text block if you want.
    But keep that ellipse on top of the one with the text attached to make
    your job easier.) Then, with the text-less ellipse selected, go to
    Modify/Alter Path/Expand Stroke and click the "Okay" button. Now select
    the ellipse with the attached text and go to Text/Convert To Paths. Then
    select the converted text and the expanded ellipse and go to
    Modify/Join. Now you should have one path with negative text!
    Wes Guest

  6. #6

    Bill wrote:

    That's a good tip to remember! Especially if you kern text on a curved
    path that's bound to happen.
    Wes Guest

  7. #7

    Thank you Judy & Bill. I was halfway down that road with trial & error, but was missing the whole 'expand stroke' feature. Got it now. Still a newbie, but I'm learning. -Rick
    techbuzz Guest