Professional Web Applications Themes

textarea value - ASP Database

I am trying to collect the value of an HTML textarea. The problem I am having is that I only can get he first line in the textarea. When a user uses a return/enter at the keyboard, asp won't pick up the textarea value after the first line of the textarea. Any suggestions [email]jbarnesci.mcminnville.or.us[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default textarea value

    I am trying to collect the value of an HTML textarea. The problem I am
    having is that I only can get he first line in the textarea.

    When a user uses a return/enter at the keyboard, asp won't pick up the
    textarea value after the first line of the textarea.

    Any suggestions

    [email]jbarnesci.mcminnville.or.us[/email]

    John B Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: textarea value

    How are you determining that that is what's happening, and what code are you
    using to insert the value and display it then after the fact?

    Ray at home

    "John B" <barnesjtsl> wrote in message
    > I am trying to collect the value of an HTML textarea. The problem I am
    > having is that I only can get he first line in the textarea.
    >
    > When a user uses a return/enter at the keyboard, asp won't pick up the
    > textarea value after the first line of the textarea.
    >
    > Any suggestions
    >
    > [email]jbarnesci.mcminnville.or.us[/email]

    Ray at Guest

  3. #3

    I use the code below to updata the database with the textarea.value
    ("sugg").
    I then open the database in Access and see that it is only updating the
    first line.
    I am not displaying the data on a page as yet. I will view it through an
    Access form.

    Thanks for your help,

    JB

    strconn = "DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=" &
    server.MapPath("pagedata.mdb")
    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.Open strconn
    Set recset = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    recset.Open "suggest", conn, 2, 2

    recset.AddNew
    recset("suggestions") = Request.Form("sugg")
    recset.Update
    recset.MoveLast

    Set conn = nothing
    Set recset = nothing

  4. #4

    Are you sure it's not just that the Access form is only displaying one line?
    Look in the table itself and increase the height of your eyes to be sure.

  5. #5

    "John B" wrote:
    : I use the code below to updata the database with the textarea.value
    : ("sugg").
    : I then open the database in Access and see that it is only updating the
    : first line.
    : I am not displaying the data on a page as yet. I will view it through an
    : Access form.

    It's not textarea.value. It's textarea.innerHTML. Perhaps showing your
    form would help?!
    [url]http://kiddanger.com/lab/textarea.html[/url]

    --
    Roland

    This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    or fitness for a particular purpose.
    -Technet Knowledge Base-
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=TECH&ln=EN-US&FR=0[/url]
    -Technet Script Center-
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp[/url]
    -MSDN Library-
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp[/url]

    Roland Hall Guest

  6. #6

    :
    : It's not textarea.value. It's textarea.innerHTML. Perhaps showing your
    : form would help?!
    : [url]http://kiddanger.com/lab/textarea.html[/url]

    Ok, strike that. It appears textarea.value also works even though there is
    no value= for textarea. *throws hands in the air* My example still works
    but apparently your error is somewhere else.

    [url]http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/wilbur/form/textarea.html[/url]
    To supply default text for the text area, put it inside the TEXTAREA tag.
    You may not use markup for this default value.

    [url]http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#edef-TEXTAREA[/url]

  7. #7

    You are using an Access database. What do you have the field properties set
    to? If text, the field won't accept any more characters than the field is
    setup to accept. The default is 50, maximum is 250. If you are not already
    doing so, I would suggest that you set the field to memo, instead of text.

    Steve G

    "John B" <barnesjtsl> wrote in message
    > I use the code below to updata the database with the textarea.value
    > ("sugg").
    > I then open the database in Access and see that it is only updating the
    > first line.
    > I am not displaying the data on a page as yet. I will view it through an
    > Access form.
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > JB
    >

    > strconn = "DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=" &
    > server.MapPath("pagedata.mdb")
    > Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > conn.Open strconn
    > Set recset = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    > recset.Open "suggest", conn, 2, 2
    >
    > recset.AddNew
    > recset("suggestions") = Request.Form("sugg")
    > recset.Update
    > recset.MoveLast
    >
    > Set conn = nothing
    > Set recset = nothing
    >

    > "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myFirstNameATlane34dotKOMM> wrote in message
    > > How are you determining that that is what's happening, and what code are
    > you
    > > using to insert the value and display it then after the fact?
    > >
    > > Ray at home
    > >
    > > "John B" <barnesjtsl> wrote in message
    > > > I am trying to collect the value of an HTML textarea. The problem I
    am
    > > > having is that I only can get he first line in the textarea.
    > > >
    > > > When a user uses a return/enter at the keyboard, asp won't pick up the
    > > > textarea value after the first line of the textarea.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions
    > > >
    > > > [email]jbarnesci.mcminnville.or.us[/email]

    Steve G Guest