Professional Web Applications Themes

The 10.5 mm Fish-eye - Photography

Okay, I have been playing around with Nikon's 10.5 mm fish-eye on the D70 for a few days now. My intention is to eventually use this lens to take instructional photos inside the airplane, but meanwhile I have been experimenting with interior shots and some scenics. The worst problem I have had is learning to keep my own fingers out of the picture. The lens seems to work very well as an extreme wide angle or even a panoramic. There is some noticeable vignetting at the smallest aperture, but it is not terrible. It is probably easiest to remove the ...

  1. #1

    Default The 10.5 mm Fish-eye

    Okay, I have been playing around with Nikon's 10.5 mm fish-eye on the D70
    for a few days now. My intention is to eventually use this lens to take
    instructional photos inside the airplane, but meanwhile I have been
    experimenting with interior shots and some scenics.

    The worst problem I have had is learning to keep my own fingers out of the
    picture.

    The lens seems to work very well as an extreme wide angle or even a
    panoramic. There is some noticeable vignetting at the smallest aperture, but
    it is not terrible. It is probably easiest to remove the vignetting first
    before doing any other post-processing.

    Of course, being a fish-eye, there is a lot of barrel distortion. This is a
    rectangular fish-eye, so it fills the whole sensor instead of making a round
    spot, but the distortion is very evident nonetheless. Also, the lens greatly
    exaggerates vertical perspective tilting.

    Nikon Capture removes this distortion in one step. You can choose to either
    keep a very wide angle view with some cropping or you can keep the whole
    picture, but with an hourglass shape. In the latter case some items that are
    not recognizable or are just lines on the edge of the picture suddenly take
    on recognizable shape, as if the unadjusted photo contained more information
    than is visible. This is important, because things that you thought were not
    in the picture might suddenly become a noticeable distraction.

    ImageAlign is available both standalone and as a PS plug-in. The interface
    is identical either way. It allows you to correct out all the barrel
    distortion -- or even go past a complete correction if you wish. Skew and
    tilt sliders allow correction of all kinds of perspective errors. I find
    that the order in which you use these controls makes a big difference in how
    effective the other sliders are. You can leave the hourglass shape or zoom
    into a crop to achieve an effect like Nikon Capture. Overall, ImageAlign is
    far more versatile, but Nikon Capture's one click correction is very nice.
    Capture also allows you to choose a background color to fill the hourglass
    sections, which can be very handy if you plan to knock the image out of its
    background.

    It would be interesting to try to stitch a few fish-eye shots together to
    make a huge panorama. It would take some doing and a lot of work, probably
    with ImageAlign, but it might be possible.

    A third adjustment tool is Pano Tools, which is free. I have not tried it,
    but will probably get around to it one of these days.

    --
    Christopher J. Campbell
    World Famous Flight Instructor

    Ne Obliviscaris

    C Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: The 10.5 mm Fish-eye

    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote in message

    And so modest.

    Stu Guest

  3. #3

    "Stu Dapples" <com> wrote in message

    > And so modest.[/ref]

    It is a joke, son. If I was really world famous, I wouldn't have to say so,
    eh? In fact, if I was really world famous, I would have to stop calling
    myself that because it would not be funny any more.

    It is my way of poking a little fun at so many of the roadside attractions
    of my youth, where you would see hundreds of billboards saying "World Famous
    Ball of Twine" and like that.

    It is also a little self-deprecatory. After all, when I started calling
    myself "world famous" my sister in law lived in France. She knew me,
    therefore I was world famous, right?

    Besides, anyone who posts on USENET is world famous. :-) Your posts are read
    by people all over the world. Therefore you are "World Famous Photographer,
    Stu Dapples." You may call yourself that from now on.

    And, last of all, I am a great admirer of P.T. Barnum. It is my way of
    honoring him. <starting to giggle uncontrollably now>

    C Guest

  4. #4

    "C J Campbell" <com> writes:

    Has anybody figured out what focal length one would need in a
    rectilinear lens to give the same angle of view of the 10.5 corrected
    to rectilinear and cropped to a rectangular image? That is, what does
    the extra work of correcting buy you relative to the Nikon or Sigma
    12mm-24mm zooms? (Other than, presumably, less corner falloff).
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Guest

  5. #5

    C J Campbell wrote:

    >> And so modest.[/ref]
    >
    > It is a joke, son. If I was really world famous, I wouldn't have to
    > say so, eh? In fact, if I was really world famous, I would have to
    > stop calling myself that because it would not be funny any more.
    >
    > It is my way of poking a little fun at so many of the roadside
    > attractions of my youth, where you would see hundreds of billboards
    > saying "World Famous Ball of Twine" and like that.
    >
    > It is also a little self-deprecatory. After all, when I started
    > calling myself "world famous" my sister in law lived in France. She
    > knew me, therefore I was world famous, right?
    >
    > Besides, anyone who posts on USENET is world famous. :-) Your posts
    > are read by people all over the world. Therefore you are "World
    > Famous Photographer, Stu Dapples." You may call yourself that from
    > now on.
    >
    > And, last of all, I am a great admirer of P.T. Barnum. It is my way of
    > honoring him. <starting to giggle uncontrollably now>[/ref]

    Owe shewt. Here I was imagining C.J. Campbell, trainer of airline
    marksmen, two down and xx?? to go ...

    Frank ess

    "Because of the Swiss Cheese nature of everyone's life experience and
    education, the Whoosh Bird can drop a load on anyone's head, without
    warning." —Albrecht Einstein

    Frank Guest

  6. #6

    David Dyer-Bennet <net> wrote:

    Well, I don't know the answer to that, but one thing you *lose* is some
    quality. Converting to the rectilinear projection involves stretching
    the image, and thus interpolating it.

    Plus, since you're cropping, the framing you see is far from what you'll
    end up with.

    A fisheye is really best used as a fisheye.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  7. #7

    C J Campbell wrote:

    Er, we* don't know if Mr. "Dapples" is a photographer at all. And
    'famous' does imply some continuity in order to be known..... <s>

    But your response was the most patient and kindly I have read to date.

    * well, not the Royal We, nor editorial; really, I just haven't seen
    any photos. He may be superb, World-renowned in his own right outside of
    usenet, etc. etc., hedge, hedge, hedge.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John Guest

  8. #8

    > > And so modest.[/ref]
    >
    > It is a joke, son. If I was really world famous, I wouldn't have to say[/ref]
    so,

    Yawn. So boring.

    Stu Guest

  9. #9

    > > And so modest.[/ref]
    >
    > It is a joke, son.[/ref]

    It deeply gratifies me that I am not, and cannot possibly be, your son.
    I set rather higher standards when I selected my parents.

    Stu Guest