Professional Web Applications Themes

the best DVD burner - Sun Solaris

I need to use a DVD burner on solaris 8 . Can anybody advice a good and moderate price vendor with good speed ....

  1. #1

    Default the best DVD burner

    I need to use a DVD burner on solaris 8 . Can anybody advice a good
    and moderate price vendor with good speed .
    ehab Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: the best DVD burner

    I dont know how good price is compared with others, but the only DVD burner
    I have been able to make work consistantly under Unix is the HP DVD200i. I
    haven't tried it under Solaris yet, but have it working good under Linux.
    Does Solaris have built in support for DVD burning? Otherwise what software
    will you be using? Would like to try myself also.

    "ehab" <com> wrote in message

    nobody Guest

  3. #3

    It's my understanding that Solaris does not support writing to DVD.
    We were looking at this as a backup solution, and haven't been able to
    find anything on it.

    frogswallow Guest

  4. #4

    On 15 Sep 2003, frogswallow wrote:

    Please don't top post.

    You understand wrong, as I'm sure Jörg Schilling will be happy
    to point out.

    Jörg's DVD pro (or something like that) apparently does the job.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  5. #5

    Rich Teer <com> writes:

    > You understand wrong, as I'm sure Jörg Schilling will be happy
    > to point out.

    > Jörg's DVD pro (or something like that) apparently does the job.[/ref]

    Yeah, but the support isn't from Solaris, it's from add-on
    software. Or to put it another way, Solaris supports Firewire too,
    just the tricky matter of needing some software to talk to any device
    other than one particular webcam.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Morgan
    "Post posting of policy changes by the boss will result in

    - anonymous correspondent
    Chris Guest

  6. #6

    On 15 Sep 2003, Chris Morgan wrote:

    You're correct - but that's like saying Windoze 2000 doesn't
    support writing Word files, because that functionality comes
    from add-on software (i.e., M$ Office).

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  7. #7

    Rich Teer <com> writes:

    > You're correct - but that's like saying Windoze 2000 doesn't
    > support writing Word files, because that functionality comes
    > from add-on software (i.e., M$ Office).[/ref]

    Word is still clearly an application, not part of the OS even by M$
    standards. Disc burning is less clear, because for cd-roms, Sun has
    started to provide the requisite software as part of Solaris, but it
    doesn't do that for dvd-rom.

    So, Solaris doesn't support burning dvd-rom to the extent that it
    supports burning cd-rom, however it is possible with add-in software.

    Chris

  8. #8

    "Rich Teer" <com> wrote in message
    | On 15 Sep 2003, Chris Morgan wrote:
    |
    | > Yeah, but the support isn't from Solaris, it's from add-on
    | > software. Or to put it another way, Solaris supports Firewire too,
    | > just the tricky matter of needing some software to talk to any device
    | > other than one particular webcam.
    |
    | You're correct - but that's like saying Windoze 2000 doesn't
    | support writing Word files, because that functionality comes
    | from add-on software (i.e., M$ Office).

    Bad ogy. Both Win2K and Solaris provide basic SCSI support in the kernel.
    Neither provide MMC burning capabilities in the kernel, it is provided by
    applications that send SCSI commands through the kernel to the hardware.

    Eric Guest

  9. #9

    In article <bloomberg.com>,
    Chris Morgan <net> writes:

    >> You understand wrong, as I'm sure Jörg Schilling will be happy
    >> to point out.
    >>

    >> Jörg's DVD pro (or something like that) apparently does the job.[/ref]
    >
    > Yeah, but the support isn't from Solaris, it's from add-on
    > software. Or to put it another way, Solaris supports Firewire too,
    > just the tricky matter of needing some software to talk to any device
    > other than one particular webcam.[/ref]

    Just for the record - more than just Sun's webcam will work. An ADS Pyro
    (don't know if they're still available) 1394 works just fine, and costs
    a lot less. It may have less features; I don't know about that
    (/usr/demo/1394/dcam1394_demo implies a bunch of features are possible
    that it doesn't have - stuff like iris, focus, zoom, pan, tilt, so you
    have no control over depth of field or magnification, and the control
    of focus and where it's pointed is strictly manual).

    --
    mailto:smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil
    Richard Guest

  10. #10

    The original message was talking about names of vendors ? Did any body
    knows well about a model performance of DVD unit to tell me it the
    best you should beleive me ?
    ehab Guest

  11. #11

    Chris Morgan wrote:

    Wow, I want to see this software that can burn CD-ROM's and DVD-ROM's! :)

    --
    Griff Miller II | I would rather be exposed to the |
    Manager of Information Technology | inconveniences attending too much |

  12. #12

    Griff Miller wrote:

    > Wow, I want to see this software that can burn CD-ROM's and DVD-ROM's! :)
    >[/ref]

    You probably have the hardware... you may need something stronger than
    the normal lighter fluid and charcoal though. Liquid oxygen comes
    to mind... but probably too much. I'd be interested in what others
    use too!

    Chris Guest

  13. #13

    Rich Teer <com> writes:

    > You're correct - but that's like saying Windoze 2000 doesn't
    > support writing Word files, because that functionality comes
    > from add-on software (i.e., M$ Office).[/ref]

    FYI Rich, you appear to be using orbs.dorkslayers.com to bounce
    email. Their list currently includes both my employer and my ISP.

    Chris

  14. #14

    On 16 Sep 2003, Chris Morgan wrote:

    You're right - or at least WAS. I commented out that
    line in my sendmail.mc file about 30 minutes ago.

    I think something must be up with orbs.dorkslayers.com; a lot of
    domains seem to be listed, all of a sudden. Maybe some spammer
    has polluted their database...

    Anyways, email should now get through to me.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  15. #15

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:21:01 -0500,
    Chris Cox <net>, in
    <bk7d9b$airnews.net> wrote:
    +> Griff Miller wrote:
    +> > Chris Morgan wrote:
    +> >
    +> >>So, Solaris doesn't support burning dvd-rom to the extent that it
    +> >>supports burning cd-rom, however it is possible with add-in software.
    +> >
    +> >
    +> > Wow, I want to see this software that can burn CD-ROM's and DVD-ROM's! :)
    +> >
    +>
    +> You probably have the hardware... you may need something stronger than
    +> the normal lighter fluid and charcoal though. Liquid oxygen comes
    +> to mind... but probably too much. I'd be interested in what others
    +> use too!

    Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range...

    James
    isn't looking good, either.
    I Guest

  16. #16

    frogswallow wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    I'm using Sony's DRU-510A, their latest hardware which I got at a local
    computer store. It's ATAPI, so it went in no problem into my Blade 100
    at home. For my Ultra 2, SCSI, it required an adapter from
    http://www.acard.com/eng/ , the top 3 entries (7720u, 7720uw, 7722) are
    ones you could use depending on your scsi bus. The software I'm using
    is "xcdroast", "cdrecord" and "cdrecord-prodvd". Xcdroast was
    downloaded from www.blastwave.org . Xcdroast has no problems working
    with DVD's. There are two methods to work with DVD's, one way is to use
    only cdrecord-prodvd and rename it cdrecord, or the other way is to have
    cdrecord and cdrecord-prodvd both on your computer, and in xcdroast's
    setup/preferences is an menu for the location of cdrecord-prodvd and the
    license key.

    Paul

    Paul Guest

  17. #17

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:

    Guys, you're talking hardware. I wanted to see how *software* could make
    a CD-ROM drive write. :) Now that would be a killer app.

    --
    Griff Miller II | |
    Manager of Information Technology | "This space has been blankly |

  18. #18

    Griff Miller <com> writes:

    > Guys, you're talking hardware. I wanted to see how *software* could make
    > a CD-ROM drive write. :) Now that would be a killer app.[/ref]

    Oh how tedious. yes, the hardware does the writing. Now, for your next
    trick, make it do that without any software.

  19. #19

    Use the HP 200i or 300i. Then download dvd+rw-tools (do a google search).
    You might have to tweak it depending on your actual hardware, but it works
    good, its fairly easy and its reliable. Its only for data though not video.
    If your looking to master video DVDs look elsewhere.

    ScrapMetaL

    "ehab" <com> wrote in message

    ScrapMetaL Guest

  20. #20

    > Use the HP 200i or 300i. Then download dvd+rw-tools (do a google search).

    What about model used for both data and Video . What about Pioneer ?
    ehab Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast