Professional Web Applications Themes

the best ethernet switcher/router? - Mac Networking

Do people have on opinion on what's the best ethernet switcher/router to create a network of 3 macs and a printer and connect to a cable modem? I'd appreciate actual hardware names/moodel. I can't figure out how to go about buying one of these things. Also, about cables -- is there a reason *not* to use extra long Ethernet cables for this purpose (or for that matter, long Firewire cables with Firewire external drives)? Any insight will be greatly appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default the best ethernet switcher/router?

    Do people have on opinion on what's the best ethernet switcher/router to
    create a network of 3 macs and a printer and connect to a cable modem?
    I'd appreciate actual hardware names/moodel. I can't figure out how to
    go about buying one of these things.

    Also, about cables -- is there a reason *not* to use extra long Ethernet
    cables for this purpose (or for that matter, long Firewire cables with
    Firewire external drives)?

    Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
    Charlie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: the best ethernet switcher/router?

    In article
    <east.earthlink.net>,
    Charlie <net> wrote:

    Well, I think you might see a slight speed increase with shorter
    cables, but frankly, I have about 100 ft of cable from a router that's
    located downstairs, going upstairs to my computer and it works just
    fine. I really can't see any appreciable speed loss on DSL. If you have
    to run a whole lot of cable, however, you might want to go wireless.
    It'd be a whole lot easier, speaking from personal experience.<grin>

    --
    Mamamia
    ---

  3. #3

    Charlie wrote:

    I'm using a 5-port gigafast ethernet ez500s
    http://www.gigafast.com/Support/Switches/EZ500-S/EZ500-S.htm

    I don't know how it compares to other switches, as it's the first one I
    used, and I chose it by price in maplin. I just plugged in a 17" iMac,
    g3 powerbook and an old 7200 and they all worked fine. Then I tried
    internet sharing from the iMac, again no problems. I have connected it
    to another network, though not to a cable modem (though I imagine this
    would be similar). It has automatic sensing for an uplink. not having
    used another switch I don't know if thats a big advantage or not.

    Its a testament to OS X and what apple have done that a dimwit like me
    who tried on three separate occasions to get linux working and failed
    dismally, can easily set up a network of 3 machines, hook them up to the
    internet and another network, and still get to bed before 3 am. (linux
    limped along for two days before dying in a series of catch-22s 'you
    need to know what the solution to this problem is already in order to
    understand the explanation') I'm not knocking linux at all, just my own
    abilities.

    nospamatall Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <east.earthlink.net>,
    Charlie <net> wrote:

    I like the D-Link products. For a wireless router get the DI-514, and
    wired, DI-604. I think you should get a DI-514 regardless, since it has
    the same number of wired ports (4) as the DI-604 plus wireless in case
    you go wifi later, for about the same price.

    Amazon was sellling new DI-514's for $29 after rebate. Can't beat that.
    fishfry Guest

  5. #5

    In article <9sQXb.2909$indigo.ie>,
    nospamatall <net> wrote:

    > I'm using a 5-port gigafast ethernet ez500s
    > http://www.gigafast.com/Support/Switches/EZ500-S/EZ500-S.htm
    >
    > I don't know how it compares to other switches, as it's the first one I
    > used, and I chose it by price in maplin. I just plugged in a 17" iMac,
    > g3 powerbook and an old 7200 and they all worked fine. Then I tried
    > internet sharing from the iMac, again no problems. I have connected it
    > to another network, though not to a cable modem (though I imagine this
    > would be similar). It has automatic sensing for an uplink. not having
    > used another switch I don't know if thats a big advantage or not.[/ref]

    It's a great switch but it's not a router, which the OP needs if he
    wants to have all the switched computers connect to the internet via a
    cable modem.

    I got mine about 18 months ago for $4.95 after a $20.00 rebate.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  6. #6

    Charlie <net> writes:

    I found the NetGear RP614v2 to be cheap ($50 at CompUSA) and pretty
    easy to set up (< 15 minutes). I turned of DHCP and used internal
    static addresses since one of my computers is a Web server and it was
    easier to set up NAT this way.

    Shorter is better- less line noise, faster transmission times, and
    less clutter around the room.
    Tim Guest

  7. #7

    Charlie <net> wrote: