Professional Web Applications Themes

The Bluest Skies You've Ever Seen... - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am having a weird problem with PE and the files from my Canon s400. When I adjust levels to get a good color on an outdoor photo, the sky is always impossibly, ridiculously blue, like I was overusing a polarizing filter, or like some older books you see where the printer evidently believed there was no such thing as oversaturated color. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this, outside of cutting out the sky and adjusting that separately every time?...

  1. #1

    Default The Bluest Skies You've Ever Seen...

    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: The Bluest Skies You've Ever Seen...

    Barbara,

    It could be because we do get the bluest skies in Florida! :)

    Kidding aside, maybe this would help; try a levels adjustment and setting
    the input to blue, then maybe a little to the right with the middle slider.

    Pete

    Pete_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Barbara, how are you adjusting levels? Are you using the RGB composite or
    adjusting each channel separately? You may want to try tweaking the blue
    channel separately, although too much of that can create a color cast. The
    other idea is to add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, then reduce the
    saturation of the blues by selecting them in the Edit box.

    Chuck (playing hooky from work this morning)

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    'Morning, Pete and Chuck. It's not just the blue channel, it's all of them. I have to mess with each individually and then desaturate to get back to anything remotely realistic.

    If I do it for the whole photo, the rest of it looks like hell, so I have to select out the sky, yadayadayada.

    The superblue skies are very pretty, of course, but I'm beginning to think this camera was tweaked to give nice skies to northerners shooting on dreary gray days.

    It's not a white point thing, I don't think, because if I shoot, say, blue plumbago, the color for that is fine.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Forgot to say it's usually the green channel that's the hest off, FWIW.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    BTW Barbara,

    If your camera is capable of doing this; Meter something low that is not
    affected by the sky when taking the picture. Some cameras can "hold" that
    meter reading if you hold the shutter button half way down. (Guess if you
    can try another metering the sky too and see what works best)

  7. #7

    Barbara, would it be possible to provide a link for one of those pictures?

    Thanks,

    Ray
    Raymond Guest

  8. #8

    Barbara,

    These photos were taken with a Canon S400. I like blue skies and usually
    increase the blue saturation slightly. Don't the skies look pretty natural
    to you (not speaking of the sunrise)? A little emphasis doesn't hurt?!
    http://www.concentric.net/~jdirrigl/ThisThat/

    Juergen

    Juergen_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks, everyone. Ray, I will try to post something later on.

    Pete, if I don't meter off the sky it's always totally n out, no matter how much I stop down.

    Juergen, wow Myrtle Beach has changed in the 20 years since I've been there!
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    PETE,
    Don't know if "Florida Blue Skies" is something to brag about. If I remember some of my geography, the blue is from polution and a white sky is the clearest.
    Oh well, who cares....the blue is prettiest anyway.
    Marty
    Marty_Landolt@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I have got some brilliantly blue skys from both my S30 and S50. Looking at them it seems that they are 'bluer' when ther are little or no clouds in the sky and the sun is more behind.

    I even get them in the UK - top that. ;)

    Paul
    Paul_L_UK@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Barbara,

    Sounds like you know what you are doing and maybe the camera is not doing
    what it should be.

  13. #13

    Here's <http://members.aol.com/bkbrun/northview.jpg> an example. If I tone it down, the sand becomes dull and the foliage colors are wrong, but this was actually a slightly overcast day.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Barbara, FWIW...on my monitor, the sky looks nearly perfect - maybe a little
    on the purple side near the horizon on the right, but that's a lot of miles
    of air absorbing red light before it gets to your camera....

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Chuck, I agree it's very pretty, but the sky that day was actually kind of zinc-colored. (I'm not worried about the purple in this particular photo, since it was taken at mid-day).
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Well, Barbara, I'd say you have a magic camera! I've tried all kinds of
    gimmicks to replace a sky that comes out too light and colorless, and it's
    really tough to make it look convincing. But I know....you want the camera
    to capture what you really see, not what you might want to see.

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    a sky that comes out too light and colorless

    Oh, I get lots of those, too, if I forget and meter off my subject instead of the sky. You'd think I'd learn by now.

    What I'm wondering is, if the sky is that blue now, what's it going to look like when the cooler weather comes and we really do have blue skies?
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Barbara, I found that selecting the sky in your image and adding a
    hue/saturation adjustment layer with approximately -19 saturation and +27
    lightness made the sky less prominent. I also tried Auto Color Correction
    (PE2 feature) and it made the sky even bluer!

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Thanks, Chuck.

    I know I can fix the sky by selecting it separately, but it's a pain to have to do that every time. I was hoping/wondering if there some fix for the lazy person.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Barbara, have you tried playing with the white balance? Maybe Auto doesn't
    work well for this kind of shot. You have a bunch of choices of WB setting
    on your s400, including Custom. Might be worth experimenting a bit.

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast