Professional Web Applications Themes

The final winner between Nikon and Canon will be... - Photography

Probably because the D70 with kit lens is half the price of a Canon 20D with the 17~85 kit lens. They could have gone Pentax or Olympus and save a few bucks. But the D70 is the best camera in that price level. "C J Campbell" <com> wrote in message news:com...  does ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: The final winner between Nikon and Canon will be...

    Probably because the D70 with kit lens is half the price of a Canon 20D with
    the 17~85 kit lens. They could have gone Pentax or Olympus and save a few
    bucks. But the D70 is the best camera in that price level.

    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote in message
    does

    Darrell Guest

  2. #2

    More easily explained, business you can get 2 D70 kits for the price of the
    Canon 20D kit, Canon has no cameras in the price point of the D70 .. at this
    time.

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    Nikon
    does

    Darrell Guest

  3. #3

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message
    news:cuj36f$6c6$gazeta.pl... [/ref]
    Nikon [/ref]
    does

    > The sidelines of the Olympics last summer had something like 90% Canon[/ref]
    cameras
    Canon
    decision for
    contract
    More likely business economics, 2 Nikon D70/18~70 kits for the price of a
    Canon 20D/17~85 kit. Canon doesn't have any cameras in the price class of
    the D70.

    Darrell Guest

  4. #4

    "John Francis" <com> wrote in message
    news:cujqnt$ktk$panix.com... [/ref]
    with

    > That's one opinion.
    >[/ref]
    Based on fact...

    Fact: The D70/18~70 with kit lens is almost half the cost of the 20 with
    the 17~85.

    Fact: The AD Nikkor 18~70mm is a better lens than any of the other cameras
    at a similar price point.

    So effectively the Canon 20D and the D70 is the only brands that were likely
    considered. In business Disney went for the most bang-for-the-buck. I sell
    more D70s than 20D every week based on smaller scale economics.

    Note I own the Pentax *ist D, but I didn't buy either of the kit lenses. I
    opted for the Pentax DA 14/2.8 (IF) ED.

    Darrell Guest

  5. #5

    (If you are humor impaired, don't read this.)

    Epcot Center, Disney's showcase of future technology, has issued the Nikon
    D70 to all of its photographers. Not a Canon in sight. Obviously, Canon does
    not exist in the World of the Future. :-)

    --
    Christopher J. Campbell
    World Famous Flight Instructor

    Ne Obliviscaris

    C Guest

  6. #6

    That easily explained. Disney is fantasyland !

    --
    Dave

    | (If you are humor impaired, don't read this.)
    |
    | Epcot Center, Disney's showcase of future technology, has issued the Nikon
    | D70 to all of its photographers. Not a Canon in sight. Obviously, Canon does
    | not exist in the World of the Future. :-)
    |
    | --
    | Christopher J. Campbell
    | World Famous Flight Instructor
    | Port Orchard, WA
    |

    | Ne Obliviscaris

    David Guest

  7. #7

    My understanding is that this is the way Nikon made it big in the States.
    They practically gave away Nikon F cameras to everybody in the press. Once
    you buy all those lenses, etc., you're now locked into a system.

    That said, they do make an excellent product, like Canon, and Disney could
    have done worse. While I'm a big Nikon fan, I'm sure it came down to money
    and contracts, not necessarily which is the best, although I'd like so <BG>.
    Maybe all the guys and gals had Nikons already, saving them money on lenses
    and accessories.

    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote in message

    Sheldon Guest

  8. #8

    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote in message

    Obviously? And where is this "World of the Future", in Disneyland? I see you
    are a self-described World Famous Flight Instructor. Get a grip.

    Rudy Guest

  9. #9

    "Rudy Benner" <com> wrote in message
    news:supernews.com... [/ref]
    Nikon

    > Obviously? And where is this "World of the Future", in Disneyland? I see[/ref]
    you

    People like you were specifically warned not to read my post, and you want
    ME to get a grip?

    C Guest

  10. #10

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:01:39 -0800, "C J Campbell"
    <com> wrote:

    Canon + Mickey Mouse = Over Saturation. The D70 is perfect for this
    environment.

    Anyway consider the alternative:

    Headline: "DISNEY TO SHOOT GUESTS WITH CANNONS"

    ...just don't flame me about the spelling.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga Guest

  11. #11

    C J Campbell wrote:

    The sidelines of the Olympics last summer had something like 90% Canon cameras
    and lenses. Probably more. As trends go that shows a massive swing to Canon
    from Nikon, not the reverse.

    Whatever Disney's motivation to buy Nikon, it was probably the best decision for
    their needs (which may include a legacy of lenses, a tightly negotiated contract
    with Nikon and/or a promotional deal with Nikon).

    Cheers,
    Alan
    Alan Guest

  12. #12

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:25:58 GMT, Owamanga <com> wrote:

    Isn't that what people want on their vacation snapshots?

    No? Coulda fooled me.

    :-P

    --
    Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
    --Josh Micah Marshall

  13. #13

    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote in message

    Okay, since the humor impaired continue to read this post, for the record:

    I know that Disney made whatever business decision they made for their own
    reasons and that Canon is not really about to disappear. In fact, I would be
    severely disappointed should Canon go out of business. Sheesh.

    C Guest

  14. #14

    C J Campbell wrote:

    This kind of 'humor' was funny the first time it broke out in a photo newsgroup
    about 15 years ago. Since then, better comics have been writing fresh material.
    Alan Guest

  15. #15

    "Owamanga" <com> wrote in message

    > Canon + Mickey Mouse = Over Saturation. The D70 is perfect for this
    > environment.
    >
    > Anyway consider the alternative:
    >
    > Headline: "DISNEY TO SHOOT GUESTS WITH CANNONS"[/ref]

    <LOL>

    Sheldon Guest

  16. #16

    Ooooh -- That stings !

    --
    Dave

  17. #17

    > This kind of 'humor' was funny the first time it broke out in a photo[/ref]
    newsgroup
    material.

    Haven't seen it.

    C Guest

  18. #18

    In article <com>, Darrell <dev/null> wrote:

    That's one opinion.

    John Guest

  19. #19

    In article <com>, Darrell <dev/null> wrote: [/ref]
    >with
    >>
    >> That's one opinion.
    >>[/ref]
    >Based on fact...[/ref]

    Or, at least, on a subset of the facts.

    No argument there.

    I've certainly heard good things about it.

    But that's a big qualification. If you're only considering a 20D or D70
    there's no argument that the D70 is the best camera at it's price level.

    So you're familiar with one of the other contenders for "best camera
    at the D70 price level" - the *ist-DS. It's certainly got a much
    better viewfinder than that on the D70. And apparently the 18-55 kit
    lens performs far better than the cost would suggest.

    I'm not saying that buying the D70 was a bad decision. But to suggest
    that it was the only possible choice is rather overstating the case.

    John Guest

  20. #20

    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote in message

    Hmmm all these conspiracies theories

    Humor aside, could it possible be that Disney has an affiliation with Nikon?
    If Nikon is an official sponsor of Disney World I doubt you'd see Disney
    give out Canon Cameras.
    --

    Rob

    Robert Guest