Professional Web Applications Themes

The Future of Macromedia Freehand - Macromedia Freehand

The recent news of OSX Tiger coming out got me to thinking if there would to be a need for an update for Freehand MX to work with Tiger. I did some searching on the web and read some things I found quite disturbing. I will not go into details because who know if it is fact or fiction. But it sure made me wonder if there will be any further development to Freehand or if there will be any continued updates for FH MX 11. I do know the QT FH office in Dallas had a shake up but ...

  1. #1

    Default The Future of Macromedia Freehand

    The recent news of OSX Tiger coming out got me to thinking if there would to be
    a need for an update for Freehand MX to work with Tiger. I did some searching
    on the web and read some things I found quite disturbing. I will not go into
    details because who know if it is fact or fiction. But it sure made me wonder
    if there will be any further development to Freehand or if there will be any
    continued updates for FH MX 11. I do know the QT FH office in Dallas had a
    shake up but I do not know to what extent. Does anybody know why there has not
    been an update to fix some of the known bugs? Did they stop development? Or
    is this a rumor? Can we look forward to a new version of Freehand?

    Jere12345 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: The Future of Macromedia Freehand

    I doubt that Macromedia will just dump Freehand. My personal feelings are that
    MM does not know how to or care to carry it forward at this point. Maybe in a
    few months to a year, we should see something new from MM.

    davecc Guest

  3. #3

    Jere12345 wrote:

    According to software company bean counters, bugs fixes need to be completed
    within an accounting cycle, because the work cannot be deducted as an
    expense towards the next release of the product. I don't expect any more bug
    fixes for FHMX.

    Macromedia has not asked for beta testers for a new version of FreeHand.
    Unless all beta testing is being done in-house, that should tell you
    something. Watch this page:

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/programs/beta.html

    I doubt that the Tiger update will affect FHMX. However, if it somehow
    solves the font substitution problems on OSX, that would be a welcome
    surprise.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  4. #4

    In article <d31lci$equ$macromedia.com>,
    "davecc" <com> wrote:

    Hopefully the announcement that FH is being sold to another company

    .... like Apple for instance! ;-)

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  5. #5

    Martin Sammtleben wrote:

    Apple! iDraw for the masses? Oh no, spare me. :-)

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  6. #6

    On 2005-04-06 14:46:58 -0700, "davecc" <com> said:

    It shouldn't take too much to figure out how to carry it forward.
    Fugedabout new features, work on bug fixes and nothing else for one new
    release, issue it free to loyal users, and they're off to the races. It
    could be subsidized from their other profitable products, and would put
    Freehand back on the table as a top-level vector graphics program, one
    that will earn them more money in the future, rather than the slow but
    steady attrition of regular users that they are experiencing now.

    That would attract people like me back (who deserted after version 10,
    and is now getting fairly proficient in that other program, which shall
    remain nameless).

    Paul Harris

    Paul Guest

  7. #7

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User Martin Sammtleben wrote: > Hopefully the
    announcement that FH is being sold to another company > > ... like Apple for
    instance! ;-) Apple! iDraw for the masses? Oh no, spare me. :-) Judy Arndt
    Good one, Judy. David

    davecc Guest

  8. #8

    In article <d333oo$gop$macromedia.com>,
    "davecc" <com> wrote:

    Not sure I can agree with you here.

    Final Cut Pro started out as a MM application. When MM decided web tools
    were the way to go they eventually lost interest in Final Cut and Apple
    snagged it up. Today it's one of the leading apps for video editing.

    Sounds familiar?

    ;-)

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  9. #9

    Martin Sammtleben wrote:

    > Not sure I can agree with you here.
    >
    > Final Cut Pro started out as a MM application. When MM decided web tools
    > were the way to go they eventually lost interest in Final Cut and Apple
    > snagged it up. Today it's one of the leading apps for video editing.
    >
    > Sounds familiar?
    >
    > ;-)
    >[/ref]

    You beat me to it but that was exactly what I was thinking. Final Cut
    Pro might be the most powerful program they've bought up and reworked
    but Apple does have a good track record of acquiring software and
    improving its capabilities while making it easier to use. I would love
    to see what Apple would do with Freehand ... especially free from the
    mandate to shoehorn in web tools.
    Wes Guest

  10. #10

    I would love to see what Apple could do with FreeHand. Unfortunately, Final
    Cut Pro is a Mac-only application and, though Apple obviously can do some
    Windows programming (QuickTime, iPod), I don't know that they would have the
    resources (or desire) to tackle something as large as Windows FreeHand. On
    the other hand, if Apple bought FH, it likely wouldn't be a real hard sell
    to get the MM folks who are really dedicated to FH to come along, too...

    Bill Schuhle

    Bill Guest

  11. #11

    When was the last time anyone from MM visited the Freehand forums?? The only response to questions etc I see here are from users helping each other.
    den-chan Guest

  12. #12

    Bill, I don't know if you forgot or don't know of Filemaker Pro, which is used
    by millions of people and workgroups on both Mac and Windows platform. The
    company Filemaker, Inc., which makes this database software is a subsidiary of
    Apple. Perhaps Freehand can go this route if Apple has the mind to acquire it?
    It would be for Apple's own good to protect its interest in the graphic and
    design field. What would happen if Adobe is the only provider of a major vector
    drawing program for the Mac? Remember how Microsoft had Apple at it's mercy
    with MS Word and used it to manipulate Apple?

    macletosh Guest

  13. #13

    Wes Rand wrote:

    Apple seems to concentrate on software that makes people want buy more Apple
    computers. Easy-to-use consumer software like iTunes sells low-end machines
    and iPods. Video and sound editing software sells high-end machines. I'm not
    sure that FH would fit either of those criteria.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  14. #14

    den-chan;
    You can't read much into that. MM considers these groups as "peer to
    peer" support only, and the Dreamweaver, Flash and Fireworks forums also
    rarely show replies by MM employees (although those applications attract
    more dedicated TMM "volunteers", and greater numbers of enthusiastic users).
    -Tom Unger

    Tom Guest

  15. #15

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    > Apple seems to concentrate on software that makes people want buy
    > more Apple computers. Easy-to-use consumer software like iTunes sells
    > low-end machines and iPods. Video and sound editing software sells
    > high-end machines. I'm not sure that FH would fit either of those
    > criteria.
    >[/ref]

    True and is why I don't think it'll ever happen. But it is fun to
    speculate and Apple does have the touch right now for creating powerful,
    solid but easy to use software.

    Apple seems to be more proactive than reactive in their business. They
    figure out what they want to do and what they need to do it. If they
    can't build it quickly enough they go out and buy what they need.
    Macromedia, on the other hand, seems more reactive: we've got these
    programs ... what do we do with them?

    What we probably need is a company that understands print and wants to
    formulate a suite of programs to rival Adobe's. Macromedia has some of
    the tools to start with. If they were proactive on this, what would they
    need to do? Acquire Quark and then something along the lines of
    Photoshop? Perhaps Painter? Work hard to make them integrate better and
    play with their web programs?
    Wes Guest

  16. #16

    Wes Rand wrote:

    And a company that produces new file formats to rival Postscript and PDF? As
    long as those two proprietary formats rule the print industry, Adobe rules.
    Adobe can change PS or PDF specs as they please, forcing competitors to play
    a never-ending game of catch-up.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  17. #17

    Didn't they try that already? Xres was about as 'along the lines of Photoshop' as you could have gotten at the time, and yet it withered on the vine, very likely due to the simple fact that there already was a Photoshop out there, and nobody wanted another one just like it. Any new raster editor offered by MM would have to sport some pretty amazing features to make it worth a second glance, considering the competition. It would also have to contend with the fact that much of the feature set it would be trying to replace has likely been patented by Adobe.

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

    Bill Guest

  18. #18

    In article <triplej>,
    Bill <com> wrote:

    Even than it's a tough call. Remember Live Picture?
    That program had an amazing way to deal with huge files that put
    Photoshop to shame. Still it never caught on I don't remember seeing any
    note about it being bought by another company.

    That is probably true for parts of it but according to MM they hold
    patents that are violated by Photoshop.

    A few years back, seemingly out of the blue, Adobe sued MM over the
    patent of the tear-off palettes that had been used in practically every
    MM application for years. MM lost, paid 2.8 M USD in damage fees and
    they had to remove the tear-off palettes from their entire product line.

    A little later MM counter-sued Adobe for violation of MM patents in
    Photoshop. That one got a lot less press coverage as far as I recall but
    this time Adobe lost and had to pay 4.9 M USD yet they didn't seem to
    cripple Photoshop.

    Clearly there's more to it than meet's the eye - to wit:

    <http://tinyurl.com/59z78>
    <http://tinyurl.com/5d6j4>

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  19. #19

    I guess I knew FileMaker Pro was cross-platform, but had forgotten about it
    (never use databases personally). I like your points about a subsidiary and
    protecting Apple's interest in the GD field. As far as MS manipulating Apple
    with Word leverage, I'm not familiar with that story. Please fill me in...

    Bill Schuhle

    Bill Guest

  20. #20

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    > And a company that produces new file formats to rival Postscript and
    > PDF? As long as those two proprietary formats rule the print
    > industry, Adobe rules. Adobe can change PS or PDF specs as they
    > please, forcing competitors to play a never-ending game of catch-up.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >
    >[/ref]

    I hear what you're saying but I don't think those formats are quite as
    restrictive as, say, the Autocad or Word formats. It may be different in
    other print fields but where I've worked the compatibility with the file
    specs was never much of an issue.

    That said, I don't really expect any company to make a play for print
    business. Especially with publication circulations on the decline. Guess
    I should start playing with Flash and Fireworks again.
    Wes Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast