Professional Web Applications Themes

The LABEL in the filesystem table doesn't work - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

The LABEL directive is a very good idea, which replaces the older /dev/sda format in the /etc/fstab file. However, I can't find a way to make the LABEL work with an additional disk, the only LABELs that work properly are those added by the RedHat installation procedure. This is what I tried: # e2label /dev/sdb /home/client and I placed this line in the fstab file: LABEL=/home/client /home/client ext2 defaults 1 2 but when I tried to mount, I got this error message: # mount /home/client mount: no such partition found How can I make the LABEL work? TIA, -Ramon F. ...

  1. #1

    Default The LABEL in the filesystem table doesn't work

    The LABEL directive is a very good idea, which replaces
    the older /dev/sda format in the /etc/fstab file.

    However, I can't find a way to make the LABEL work with
    an additional disk, the only LABELs that work properly are
    those added by the RedHat installation procedure.

    This is what I tried:

    # e2label /dev/sdb /home/client

    and I placed this line in the fstab file:

    LABEL=/home/client /home/client ext2 defaults 1 2

    but when I tried to mount, I got this error message:

    # mount /home/client
    mount: no such partition found

    How can I make the LABEL work?

    TIA,

    -Ramon F. Herrera
    Ramon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: The LABEL in the filesystem table doesn't work

    On 24 Sep 2003 13:50:45 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    It is not when you try to have two redhat release on the same
    disk.

    Hmmmm, too much of a newbie here, but I have never seen a /home/client
    mount point, but if it is supposed to work, if you do a
    cd /
    ls
    do you see a mount point /home/client
    Bit Guest

  3. #3

    net (Ramon F Herrera) writes:

    Try rebooting your box so the kernel will reread the partition table.

    Vilmos
    Vilmos Guest

  4. #4

    net (Ramon F Herrera) said:

    It looks slightly suspicious that you're using a raw disk for the e2label,
    instead of having partitions. This might be throwing off some of the
    programs.

    So, even if you only want to have a single filesystem on the disk, create
    a partition (spanning the whole disk) for the fs, and label that partition
    (/dev/sdb1).

    Just guessing, but as it's rather unconventional to use the whole-disk
    devices for filesystems, this might be the reason for your problems.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland
    (GC 3.0) GIT d- s+: a C++ ULSH++++$ P++ L+++ E- W+$ N++ !K w !O !M V

  5. #5

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    /dev/sdb is the MBR of the disk. You need to make a partition on
    it such as /dev/sdb1 and use that for the e2label device.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

    David Guest

  6. #6

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    It isn't a very good idea.
    It is an extremely bad idea,
    which has caused endless problems,
    and whose merit is miniscule.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: maths.tcd.ie

  7. #7

    In article <8vHcb.33345$indigo.ie>, Timothy Murphy <maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

    >It isn't a very good idea.
    >It is an extremely bad idea,
    >which has caused endless problems,
    >and whose merit is miniscule.
    >[/ref]
    IMHO LABELs and and mounting by labels is a god send!

    Especially since RedHat 8 has broken something with their "kernel
    security" patches that makes the system install USB drives before
    SCSI drives -- meaning if my USB CF reader is plugged in, it gets
    /dev/sda instead of SCSI0 ID0. Were it not for having mounted /
    and everything else by label my system would be dead and I'd
    still be wondering why! Too bad labels don't work for swap as
    that stays broken if the CF reader is plugged in when booting.

    --wally.
    wally Guest

  8. #8

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > It isn't a very good idea.
    > It is an extremely bad idea,
    > which has caused endless problems,
    > and whose merit is miniscule.[/ref]

    Umm. Not true. It's *extremely* useful if you image and reorder
    partitions or add disks or swap them from machine to machine, and it's
    especially useful for dual or triple-boot systems.

    Nico Guest

  9. #9

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:50:45 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    I think you need to label the partitions of your HD accordingly. Meaning
    that the partitions need to get a name, for instance using Partition Magic
    or whatever partitioning program. Or else the partition can't be found and
    you'd have to refer to "hdd1" etc. in your fstab.

    Flip

    flap Guest

  10. #10

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > Umm. Not true. It's *extremely* useful if you image and reorder
    > partitions or add disks or swap them from machine to machine, and it's
    > especially useful for dual or triple-boot systems.[/ref]

    On the bad side, it is obvious from postings on the linux newsgroups
    that many people have problems because of disk-labels.

    So what can you say on the good side?

    To start with, very few people "image and reorder" partitions,
    whatever that means, so we can ignore that.

    How exactly does it help with dual-boot systems?

    As for adding or swapping disks, far from helping
    it is obvious from many posts
    that it causes great confusion,
    basically because the same label may be used in two places.
    eg someone adds a disk and either they
    or more likely the installation process
    labels one partition /usr ,
    and it turns out there is already a partition
    on another disk labelled /usr .

    Or another cause of confusion is where the labels
    in /etc/fstab and lilo.conf don't match.

    I can't think of any situation where labelling saves
    more than 5 seconds _once_ when you are adding a disk, etc.

    I repeat -- using disk-labels instead of proper names like /dev/hda3
    is a very bad idea,
    and whoever thought of it should be sent to Guantanomo Bay.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: maths.tcd.ie

  11. Moderated Post