Professional Web Applications Themes

The mysterious case of the image that isn't. - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I've been sent an Indesign CS doent for printing, all nicely packaged, images present and correct. As usual with jobs from this customer, I checked the separations preview first (it's a spot colour job) and found a large background image showing up in both separations. Ho hum, RGB again, thinks I. So, I go to open it and turn it to greyscale - and it's not there! What I mean is, it doesn't show up in the links palette. Nothing in the package of images matches it. I can copy it and place it into a new doent. It shows ...

  1. #1

    Default The mysterious case of the image that isn't.

    I've been sent an Indesign CS doent for printing, all nicely packaged, images present and correct.

    As usual with jobs from this customer, I checked the separations preview first (it's a spot colour job) and found a large background image showing up in both separations. Ho hum, RGB again, thinks I. So, I go to open it and turn it to greyscale - and it's not there!

    What I mean is, it doesn't show up in the links palette. Nothing in the package of images matches it.

    I can copy it and place it into a new doent. It shows up on screen, it even prints from a laser printer - but the links palette is empty.

    How can this be?

    (It's not a problem because he's used the same image before and I still have a working copy, but I'm intrigued).
    Kath_Howard3@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: The mysterious case of the image that isn't.

    I don't think pasted images show up in links, (unless they're pasted from another ID doc in which they are linked) so he probably just copy pasted it from photoshop or some such, instead of linking it as he ought.
    Heather Bell Guest

  3. #3

    OK, thanks, I'll bend his ear ;)
    Kath_Howard3@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    You will want to copy the image to a new doc, export to PDF, open in the appropriate software, save, then place your new file
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks, I'll remember that, excellent workaround.

    Same guy came back with another file today, he said he'd preflighted and packaged, but several images did show up MIA when I opened the doent - at least this time they were in the links palette, but with the red warning sign. I explained about not pasting from Photoshop or wherever and he's gone back to try again. He complained about not getting a warning in Preflight, but I suppose that checks for linked images, and these aren't. (I get a rough-ish layout to tidy up and render printable).
    Kath_Howard3@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Since when does packaging miss some links?

    I've never heard of it
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    User error is a distinct possibility here. He insists he pre-flighted and got no warnings, yet the images were indeed missing from the package and the red warnings were there in the links palette beside the missing images (this time - last time they weren't even in the palette). When I get chance I'll go along and see exactly what he's doing, he's only up the road. It's worth finding out in case the same problem crops up with someone else.
    Kath_Howard3@adobeforums.com Guest