Professional Web Applications Themes

The new Adobe... - Macromedia Freehand

You've all read about the merger and have lots of questions. Believe me, so do I! As TMM for FreeHand, I just left a phone conference with Macromedia where we were given the layout of the merger. We couldn't ask questions, which was a little frustrating, but here's what they had to say: First of all, you can find official Macromedia information here: Press Release http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2005/adobe_macromedia.html FAQ and Mini-site http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html I'll post anything else that comes my way. The new company will be called Adobe, and nothing much will change over the next three to nine months. Stockholders and regulatory ...

  1. #1

    Default The new Adobe...

    You've all read about the merger and have lots of questions. Believe me, so
    do I! As TMM for FreeHand, I just left a phone conference with Macromedia
    where we were given the layout of the merger. We couldn't ask questions,
    which was a little frustrating, but here's what they had to say:

    First of all, you can find official Macromedia information here:

    Press Release
    http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2005/adobe_macromedia.html

    FAQ and Mini-site
    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html

    I'll post anything else that comes my way.

    The new company will be called Adobe, and nothing much will change over the
    next three to nine months. Stockholders and regulatory commissions must
    approve the acquisition, and until then it will be business as usual,
    including any product upgrades that are already in the pipeline.

    No one knows (or will tell) what's going to happen to any of the programs,
    including our red-headed stepchild, FreeHand. We can conjecture, conclude,
    opine, guess, bemoan, dream, shudder, and pray all we like, but it's going
    to be awhile before we find anything out.

    I seriously wish I had more to contribute, but you know everything I know.

    Long live FreeHand!

    Ron

    Ron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: The new Adobe...

    Ron,

    Thanks for updating us and looking forward to hearing from you with updated news.

    David

    davecc Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, Ron. Well said. I posted something earlier at the "Adobe to acquire
    Macromedia" thread in this forum that you might wish to check out.

    IMHO, Adobe and MM did not handle this announcement well. I woke up this
    morning to discover a merger I do not trust and do not like, presented in a
    manner that felt (and feels) cavalier.

    My art, business, and ability to pay my bills will be impacted by this
    proposed merger in a major way. Adobe and MM threw an out-of-the-blue brick at
    my work week. I feel abandoned, ignored, and used. Most people do not handle
    this sort of unexpected mystery very well. I tend to lash out. Not good. Not
    good at all. Macrodobe feels more than a little untrustworthy this afternoon,
    despite the pretty Flash "we've merged" graphics at the corporate home page.

    Please keep us posted.

    art101 Guest

  4. #4

    art101 wrote:

    Just so you don't harbor the mistaken belief that the MM has been
    deliberately callous or mean to FH users, remember that both Adobe and MM
    are publicly traded companies. They have to adhere to stock trade
    regulations that prevent insider trading, meaning no advance hints that
    would tip off shareholders.

    We wouldn't want a bunch more Martha Stewart fiascos, would we? :-)

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    What scares me the most is that say Apple upgrades the system to OS X1 (11)
    and something in that code doesn't allow any past versions of FreeHand to
    operate? I just doodled with my calculator and decided that I have over
    20,000 hours of WORK IN FREEHAND! If Adobe either kills FH or sells it to
    someone who can't compete, there won't be any program support, and what do
    we do with all these files? Your best client comes in with a job you did in
    FH 9 and just wants a few changes. You have to recreate the whole job
    because you can't open the files. Who's gonna pay for that?

    Of course, Apple will probably keep the Classic-type OS switch in place, but
    it will still be a major pain because the "new" file will have to be
    translated to AI to be output.

    Why don't we take up a collection and buy FH from Adobe? Let us inmates run
    the asylum for a change!!

    Sorry, it's starting to build up - I have to vent once in awhile. I don't
    mean to step on Pappy and Von's soapboxes. Guess you were right, guys.

    Ron

    Ron Guest

  6. #6

    yikes!

    of course, my first thought when I just hear the news was - what about
    Freehand?

    I've been a loyal user since Aldus v3 and enjoyed many a heated debate
    regarding its vitues over Illustrator (although MX was disappointing - and this
    may sound trivial - but especially the fact that you can no longer toggle to
    crosshair in pen tool with a simple "caps lock")

    to be honest, though I just last week ordered the CS2 upgrade - I guess rather
    fortuitous... Photoshop and InDesign are essentilas to my repetoire.. I shudder
    to think I'll have to add that ol' dust-clollector Illustrator to my bag o'
    tricks.:(

    peteinvancouver Guest