Professional Web Applications Themes

"The RPC service terminated unexpectedly" system shutdown - Windows Networking

Hi all, I have a problem with my XP on Sony Vaio laptop, when ever I connect to internet (after a few minutes)a dialog window appears with a message 'System shutdown inetiated by NT AUTHORITY / SYSTEM' and the system shutsdown in 1 min.The actual message is something like this.. "Windows must restart because the RPC service treminated unexpectedly". I checked the Event Viewer and the detailed message is [/ref][/ref] this 1 time(s).The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 mi.sec.: Reboot the machine" http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp <<<< the eventID is 7031. the FileName is netevent.dll File Version 5.1.2600.0 source Service control ...

  1. #1

    Default "The RPC service terminated unexpectedly" system shutdown

    Hi all, I have a problem with my XP on Sony Vaio laptop,
    when ever I connect to internet (after a few minutes)a
    dialog window appears with a message 'System shutdown
    inetiated by NT AUTHORITY / SYSTEM' and the system
    shutsdown in 1 min.The actual message is something like
    this.. "Windows must restart because the RPC service
    treminated unexpectedly". I checked the Event Viewer and
    the detailed message is [/ref][/ref]
    this 1 time(s).The following corrective action will be
    taken in 60000 mi.sec.: Reboot the machine"
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp <<<<
    the eventID is 7031. the FileName is netevent.dll File
    Version 5.1.2600.0 source Service control manager! I'm in
    France and using Wanadoo as my ISP and whenever I connect
    to internet I have the above problem.Pls.
    I'm having this problem only since 13th of this month and
    before that everything was OK!,give me some directions in
    this regards.. Thanks in advance...

    Venu Guest

  2. #2

    Haven't u heard?
    Sounds like you've been blasted (blaster virus)
    - see net
    Steve [/ref]
    >this 1 time(s).The following corrective action will be
    >taken in 60000 mi.sec.: Reboot the machine"
    >http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp <<<<
    >the eventID is 7031. the FileName is netevent.dll File
    >Version 5.1.2600.0 source Service control manager! I'm in
    >France and using Wanadoo as my ISP and whenever I connect
    >to internet I have the above problem.Pls.
    >I'm having this problem only since 13th of this month and
    >before that everything was OK!,give me some directions in
    >this regards.. Thanks in advance...
    >
    >.
    >[/ref]
    Steve Guest

  3. #3

    Where have you been for the last few days?

    This is the Blaster Worm.....

    Read:

    http://www.updatexp.com/msblast-exe.html

    and if you have problems installing the patch:

    http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html

    Regards

    Marc Liron
    www.updatexp.com

     [/ref]
    >this 1 time(s).The following corrective action will be
    >taken in 60000 mi.sec.: Reboot the machine"
    >http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp <<<<
    >the eventID is 7031. the FileName is netevent.dll File
    >Version 5.1.2600.0 source Service control manager! I'm in
    >France and using Wanadoo as my ISP and whenever I connect
    >to internet I have the above problem.Pls.
    >I'm having this problem only since 13th of this month and
    >before that everything was OK!,give me some directions in
    >this regards.. Thanks in advance...
    >
    >.
    >[/ref]
    Marc Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Mark and Steve..
     [/ref][/ref]
    done [/ref]
    in [/ref]
    connect [/ref]
    and [/ref]
    in
    >.
    >[/ref]
    Venu Guest

  5. #5

     [/ref]
    >this 1 time(s).The following corrective action will be
    >taken in 60000 mi.sec.: Reboot the machine"
    >http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp <<<<
    >the eventID is 7031. the FileName is netevent.dll File
    >Version 5.1.2600.0 source Service control manager! I'm in
    >France and using Wanadoo as my ISP and whenever I connect
    >to internet I have the above problem.Pls.
    >I'm having this problem only since 13th of this month and
    >before that everything was OK!,give me some directions in
    >this regards.. Thanks in advance...
    >
    >.Sounds like you have the Blaster Worm Virus. Get a fix[/ref]
    from Symantec. Follow the instructions carefully.
    Austin Guest

  6. #6

    My name is Sara Tahir and I have some fairly simple steps
    that should help you with this problem.

    As I understand, you have received the following error
    messages when using your computer:

    "This system is shutting down. Please save all work in
    progress and log off. This shutdown was initiated by NT
    Authority/System."

    "Windows must restart because the Remote Procedure Call
    (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly."

    This is a known security issue which was first found on
    July 15. There is currently an Internet Worm that is
    taking advantage of this security issue. Microsoft
    published the patch to fix this issue on July 16 for all
    of the affected systems on our web site. For more
    information, please refer to the following page:

    Microsoft's latest Information on the Blaster Worm
    including links for other Windows Operating Systems

    For the latest information on this security bulletin
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-
    026.asp

    The resolution to this issue is to clean the worm from
    your system and install the patch mentioned above.

    Do this In Order:
    1) Turn on your Internet Connection Firewall (Windows XP)
    2) Install the patch from Microsoft to remove the
    vulnerability
    3) Run a removal Tool from an Anti-Virus company to
    remove all traces of the virus from your system
    4) Go to Windows Update and get all other needed Critical
    Updates
    Alternate Download Sites are located at:
     http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
    FamilyID=2354406c-c5b6-44ac-9532-
    3de40f69c074&displaylang=en

    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/updat
    e/v3-19990518/cabpool/WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-
    ENU_1d296adab6699e66210e5a350236381.exe

    IMPORTANT
    __________

    Whenever your computer attempts to shutdown or reboot,
    quickly:
    Click the Start Button and then click RUN and type in
    shutdown -a
    and hit enter.
    This should halt the rebooting problem temporarily.

    You can also disconnect your computer from the internet
    while you do the first step of turning on the Internet
    Connection Firewall.

    1)
    Turn on the Internet Connection Firewall (Windows XP)
    For XP Pro Users
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/network
    ing/icf.asp

    For XP Home Users
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/home/using/howto/homene
    t/icf.asp

    Generic Instructions for XP Users:
    1. In Control Panel, double-click "Networking and
    Internet Connections", and then click Network Connections.
    2. Right-click the connection (your internet connection)
    on which you would like to enable ICF, and then click
    Properties.
    3. On the Advanced tab, click the box to select the
    option to "Protect my computer or network".
    4. If you want to enable the use of some applications and
    services through the firewall, you need to enable them by
    clicking the Settings button, and then selecting the
    programs, protocols, and services to be enabled for the
    ICF configuration.

    2)
    Install the Patch from Microsoft for your Operating System
    Windows XP (32-bit)
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/b/98bcfad8-
    afbc-458f-aaee-b7a52a983f01/WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU.exe

    3)
    Run a removal Tool from an Anti-Virus Company to get the
    Virus off your system
    Network Associates
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Trend Micro
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Symantec
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w3
    2.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

    Computer Associates
    http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=36265

    4)
    When you get a chance after everything calms down, with
    Internet Explorer up and running, go to the top menu and
    click Tools and click Windows Update and install all the
    latest Critical Updates.
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

    You can also configure Automatic Updates to automatically
    download updates for you. How to Configure and Use
    Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
    us;306525

    t-sarat online.microsoft.com
    t-sarat [MSFT]

    Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions.
    Please use respond to this thread to let me know if the
    steps and suggestions helped you to resolve the issue.

    Disclaimer:
    confers no
    rights.

     [/ref][/ref]