Professional Web Applications Themes

There must be a reasonable solution... just can't think it out. - PHP Development

The following table is the result of a query, which is working fine. eventID roundID competitionID classID ------- ------- ------------- ------- 1 1 1 Mod 2 1 1 Pro 1 2 1 Mod 2 2 1 Pro 1 3 1 Mod 2 3 1 Pro 1 4 1 Mod 2 4 1 Pro 1 5 1 Mod 2 5 1 Pro Ultimately, I will need to be able to assign event numbers to each competitionID/roundID/eventID combination, and I don't know whether it would be best to modify eventID to enter sequential numbers, or to add another field to the table, ...

  1. #1

    Default There must be a reasonable solution... just can't think it out.

    ------- ------- ------------- -------
    1 1 1 Mod
    2 1 1 Pro
    1 2 1 Mod
    2 2 1 Pro
    1 3 1 Mod
    2 3 1 Pro
    1 4 1 Mod
    2 4 1 Pro
    1 5 1 Mod
    2 5 1 Pro

    Ultimately, I will need to be able to assign event numbers to each
    competitionID/roundID/eventID combination, and I don't know whether it
    would be best to modify eventID to enter sequential numbers, or to add
    another field to the table, (events are numbered from 1 to xx over whole
    competition), or to generate event numbers on the fly. The latter would make
    it difficult to back reference.

    Event schedule is printed out and posted for competitors to see when they
    compete.

    Problems occur when, prior to competition, last minute alterations are
    required (say 5min before first event), that may see deletion of an event
    each round, addition of an event each round, or a reorganisation based on
    class (classID) which would throw any sequential numbering out the window.
    When modifications are made, the schedule is again printed out to keep
    competitors up to speed.

    Assuming then, that I alter eventID, how would I approach shifting numbers
    around?

    Ideas on how to approach solving this would be immensely appreciated.

    PhilM Guest

  2. #2

    "PhilM" <philmnospam.com.am> wrote in message
    news:40d6b51e$0$25462$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > The following table is the result of a query, which is working fine.
    >
    > eventID roundID competitionID classID
    > ------- ------- ------------- -------
    > 1 1 1 Mod
    > 2 1 1 Pro
    > 1 2 1 Mod
    > 2 2 1 Pro
    > 1 3 1 Mod
    > 2 3 1 Pro
    > 1 4 1 Mod
    > 2 4 1 Pro
    > 1 5 1 Mod
    > 2 5 1 Pro
    >
    > Ultimately, I will need to be able to assign event numbers to each
    > competitionID/roundID/eventID combination, and I don't know whether it
    > would be best to modify eventID to enter sequential numbers, or to add
    > another field to the table, (events are numbered from 1 to xx over whole
    > competition), or to generate event numbers on the fly. The latter would
    make
    > it difficult to back reference.
    >
    > Event schedule is printed out and posted for competitors to see when they
    > compete.
    >
    > Problems occur when, prior to competition, last minute alterations are
    > required (say 5min before first event), that may see deletion of an event
    > each round, addition of an event each round, or a reorganisation based on
    > class (classID) which would throw any sequential numbering out the window.
    > When modifications are made, the schedule is again printed out to keep
    > competitors up to speed.
    >
    > Assuming then, that I alter eventID, how would I approach shifting numbers
    > around?
    >
    > Ideas on how to approach solving this would be immensely appreciated.
    Generally speaking... add another field. The scheduling of an event should
    not affect it's identity.

    More specifically, and without knowing more detail, I'd suggest that you
    generate a schedule and store it separately in its own table(s). Each change
    in schedules might or might not require generation of a new schedule. If you
    have a need to refer to old schedules, then create schedules as needed but
    only use the currently active schedule at any one time. You might need both
    abilities: modify existing schedules directly or generate new schedules
    based upon curent information.

    - Virgil

    Virgil Green Guest

  3. #3

    "PhilM" <philmnospam.com.am> wrote in message
    news:40d6b51e$0$25462$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > The following table is the result of a query, which is working fine.
    >
    > eventID roundID competitionID classID
    > ------- ------- ------------- -------
    > 1 1 1 Mod
    > 2 1 1 Pro
    > 1 2 1 Mod
    > 2 2 1 Pro
    > 1 3 1 Mod
    > 2 3 1 Pro
    > 1 4 1 Mod
    > 2 4 1 Pro
    > 1 5 1 Mod
    > 2 5 1 Pro
    >
    > Ultimately, I will need to be able to assign event numbers to each
    > competitionID/roundID/eventID combination, and I don't know whether it
    > would be best to modify eventID to enter sequential numbers, or to add
    > another field to the table, (events are numbered from 1 to xx over whole
    > competition), or to generate event numbers on the fly. The latter would
    make
    > it difficult to back reference.
    >
    > Event schedule is printed out and posted for competitors to see when they
    > compete.
    >
    > Problems occur when, prior to competition, last minute alterations are
    > required (say 5min before first event), that may see deletion of an event
    > each round, addition of an event each round, or a reorganisation based on
    > class (classID) which would throw any sequential numbering out the window.
    > When modifications are made, the schedule is again printed out to keep
    > competitors up to speed.
    >
    > Assuming then, that I alter eventID, how would I approach shifting numbers
    > around?
    >
    > Ideas on how to approach solving this would be immensely appreciated.

    In addition to Virgil's comments, I would say to not get hung up on
    renumbering the competitions every time there is a change (read deletion).
    If you think people will be confused by the absence of competition 12 when
    it's been cancelled, show it on the schedule as "Cancelled".

    George

    sma1king Guest