Professional Web Applications Themes

theVolumeSettings folder weirdness - Mac Applications & Software

Hello, I found a wayward download in the theVolumeSettings folder, an invisible folder on my startup hard disk (OS 9.2.2). I made the folder visible using some old freeware utility I found lying around. It turned out the folder had a couple of dozen of doents, apps, .bin and .hqx items in it, of varying ages. Some of them were important doents I had intended to archive. This didn't seem right. I moved them all out to a new, visible folder. I didn't see anything else in the folder, so I made it invisible again, and restarted. The machine seemed ...

  1. #1

    Default theVolumeSettings folder weirdness

    Hello,

    I found a wayward download in the theVolumeSettings folder, an invisible
    folder on my startup hard disk (OS 9.2.2). I made the folder visible
    using some old freeware utility I found lying around. It turned out the
    folder had a couple of dozen of doents, apps, .bin and .hqx items in
    it, of varying ages. Some of them were important doents I had
    intended to archive.

    This didn't seem right. I moved them all out to a new, visible folder.

    I didn't see anything else in the folder, so I made it invisible again,
    and restarted.

    The machine seemed to work okay before and after.

    What is going on? Should I worry about it? I use DiskWarrior pretty
    often, but hadn't run it on this machine for awhile. Would it have moved
    these files to a suitable location?

    I've heard of downloads accidentally ending up in this folder, but these
    files were not all downloads. They might have been Timbuktu transfers
    from my other Macintosh. I don't remember.

    Thanks in indvance.

    Tim Miller

    Timothy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: theVolumeSettings folder weirdness

    Tim,

    This has also happened to me from time to time. In my case it was always
    caused by Netscape Navigator losing its proper default download location.

    Bill K.

    In article <com>, Timothy Miller

    William Guest

  3. #3

    Hello, Bill,

    Well, come to think of it, I do use Navigator, and it did put some of
    those files in that folder. It's possible it put all of them there, come
    to think of it. I sometimes receive MS Word files and such as attachments.

    BTW, I don't remember where, but I saw a similar comment on an email
    list or NG somewhere recently indicating that NS Explorer does the same
    thing at times.

    I can't find a default download location item in Netscape's preferences.
    Maybe I'm overlooking it.

    Anyone have suggestions for preventing this problem?

    Or maybe Ishould just keep the theVolumeSettings folder visible all the
    time, and look inside occasionally. Will this disrupt the proper
    function of this folder, whatever it is?

    Thanks,

    Tim

    William E. Krantz, Jr. wrote:
    >[/ref]