Professional Web Applications Themes

Things that I don't like about Illustrator - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Playing with a program called Artistry on Linux - Has the ability to set transaprency on a stop point of a gradient. Of course, you can only set a start and end point, but still... A Vector program that can do it... -kaz...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Things that I don't like about Illustrator

    Karl_Cartwright@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    Mike,

    Perhaps some of the problems you are seeing as gripes come from not fully understanding how things sometimes work in Illustrator. Many effects, as a result of previous wish lists result in raster effects, as an example, so if you enlarge things you are enlarging a raster in those instances and that accordingly will expotentially increase the file size. Even having the ability to do raster and other effects will increase of filesizes due to information that is carried with the file. The way to reduce that is to reduce that information, which means turning off the ability prior to working on the image, perhaps. A gradient effect is raster. However if you work with blends, for instance instead of shadowing (a raster effect) you won't get raster, as blends are vector. I'm not a programer, by any means, but the more we ask to be included in Illustrator, the more we have to expect the size of a file to be as well as the more working memory will be required. As for Linux, to get something you sacrifice a lot. That wheel is still very much not round and sturdy enough for prim time graphics IMNOHO.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    I had some very large drop shadow effects in that file, and upon reading this I think that was the major culprit. I will try to use blends instead. But am I right in that Illustrator embeds a full-resolution preview of a linked doent?
    mikedfunk@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    Hey Bob

    I agree about Linux. Just giving an example. The program is no where near Illustrator, but it's free. Just saw that its available for Windows as well. <http://www.sodipodi.com/> if interested.

    Personally, I don't want to see things in Illustrator unless Adobe feels confident enough that the implementation is solid and will be printable. No use having it if you can't use it...
    Karl_Cartwright@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    Mike,

    No a linked only image in Illustrator only has a "placemat", not the full original. However, if you send that file anywhere, then you NEED to also include the original image file or it's useless and not printable or viewable as you created it. Only embedded images will include the image with the Illustrator file.

  6. #26

    Karl,

    The only caveat to your "unless Adobe feels confident enough that the implementation is solid and will be printable" would be to say that today not ALL Illustrator creations are for PRINT. More and more they are being created and then converted for use on the WEB for a variety of uses. No print there. At least as we normally think of as "print".

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12