Professional Web Applications Themes

Things that I don't like about Illustrator - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Feel free to add on. Gripe list: -why, oh why, after 11 versions, am I unable to use eyedropper functionality to set the color for a gradient stop point? i am tired of temporarily memorizing rgb values and inputting them into the gradient panel. I click on a stop point, and the color panel color changes. I click on that, and it changes the object to solid at the color of the stop point. brilliant. (sarcasm) -speaking of gradients, it is downright silly that I can't set the transparency of a gradient stop point. Positively loony. -why are there 400 ...

  1. #1

    Default Things that I don't like about Illustrator

    Feel free to add on.

    Gripe list:

    -why, oh why, after 11 versions, am I unable to use eyedropper functionality to set the color for a gradient stop point? i am tired of temporarily memorizing rgb values and inputting them into the gradient panel. I click on a stop point, and the color panel color changes. I click on that, and it changes the object to solid at the color of the stop point. brilliant. (sarcasm)

    -speaking of gradients, it is downright silly that I can't set the transparency of a gradient stop point. Positively loony.

    -why are there 400 million panels. come on. a context-sensitive panel in the way of photoshop's options panel or InDesign's top panel or even the dreaded Fireworks panel would eliminate about 200 million of them. for God's sake, people, cut the red tape and just fix the stupid stuff. My favorite is the doent info panel. I keep that stretched to half my screen most of the time.

    -why can't i set transparency by hitting a number like photoshop. we're all adobe, here. share with photoshop.

    -why can't I alt-~ or ctrl-tab to switch windows. i am sick of hitting window and scrolling waaay to the bottom and picking out my file.

    -why are files bigger just because of a bigger canvas size. I thought we were talking vector graphics here.

    -why can't I copy the appearance from one object to another? think PS layer styles.

    -why does linking graphics (apparently) embed a full-resolution preview of the linked graphic? This almost defeats the purpose of linking. I should be able to set a low res preview of my linked graphics.

    -I would rather save the extra startup time in Illustrator CS and turn off WYSYWIG font menus. I can't see them big enough to decide anyway and it lags just to display the menu. And it's not consistent between adobe products. another fine example of an idea that looked great on paper.

    -why do strokes always stroke outside AND inside an object? I want to be able to decide, like on photoshop's stroke layer style dialog.

    to be continued...
    mikedfunk@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Things that I don't like about Illustrator

    Things that I don't like about Illustrator

    It's a free country. Get a different program.

    Bert
    Bert Philippus Guest

  3. #3

    Use Microsoft Paint
    shawnp80@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Mike:

    Add your "wish list" items to the official Adobe Feature Request form page:

    <http://www.adobe.com/support/feature.html>

    You can also add these to the separate thread "Feature Requests" which is a better place for this type of content.

    Most software companies prioritize some of the new feature development based on the demand. If you don't officially tell them, they won't know how important it is to the masses.

    Regarding some of your other comments, there are already methods in place (like Ctrl+F6 to switch windows).

    Some of the other comments I don't see in the latest version (CS), like bloated file sizes if the page size is larger (assuming your content is identical).
    Eric_Schwartz@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I will add my wish list. Thanks for the tip. Please describe any other methods besides the helpful ctrl-F6 that I may be missing.

    Regarding using another program such as the ubiquitous and comprable Microsoft Paint: although it's tempting, I'll stick with adobe for now. what kind of advice is that: if Illustrator does something poorly, instead of criticizing how poorly it does something, just say at least it's better than paint? seriously, this was titled "things I don't like about illustrator," not,"reasons I'm giving up illustrator in favor of another program that does things better." I am comparing illustrator to how I think it should be, not to another program. Having said that, I will post my list in the feature request forum so that this post can be potentially productive and not just a gripe.
    mikedfunk@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    GOOD IDEA
    Bert Philippus Guest

  7. #7

    If I'm interpreting you correctly, this suggestion may solve your 1st gripe. Try this: With the Gradient Palette open, highlight any gradient slider by clicking on it. Next, with the Eyedropper Tool, hold the Shift key down and click on any color. Your chosen gradient slider will now change to the color you clicked on without having to copy/insert any values. Eddie
    Eddie_Ostrowski@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Eddie:

    I really don't think the original poster was interested in finding out HOW to do all the things he says are impossible in Illustrator (90% of his gripes are due to lack of knowledge), he just wanted to gripe.

    Actually, you need to use the Alt key to apply a swatch to a gradient slider.

    Bert
    Bert Philippus Guest

  9. #9

    thanks eddie!!! That helps a lot! I always wondered if I was missing that somehow.
    mikedfunk@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I am not trying to apply a swatch to a gradient slider, I am trying to eyedrop a color on the canvas. although that is helpful.

    and yes, I am griping. but I am also interested in finding out how to do these things, even if I'm wrong.

    Do you have solutions to 90% of my questions? if not, how are 90% of my gripes due to lack of knowledge? break it on down:

    #1: solved, this was due to my lack of knowledge.

    #2: I know I could implement an opacity mask, but I am looking for transparency functionality on a specific gradient slider ala photoshop. posting in feature request...

    #3: you gotta admit the panels are a bit out of control. Although this is more organizational than anything. The only panel mess that tops Illustrator is InDesign.

    #4: still can't set transparency numerically with the keyboard that I know of.

    #5: gripe solved. This was also due to my lack of knowledge.

    #6: I recently recreated a file from Illustrator in InDesign with all linked graphics. The same file in Illustrator was 400mb. In InDesign it was 50mb.

    #7: unless I'm mistaken, you can't turn off wysywig menus. I'd rather ctrl-shift-. to go through the larger-size fonts to preview them with custom text.

    #8: Once again, unless I'm mistaken, you can't specify where the stroke is applied. You can say how the corners are rendered, but not inside, outside, or both.

    Please let me know if I'm wrong
    mikedfunk@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I know Illustrator is better than Paint ..Mikey!
    shawnp80@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    #1: solved, this was due to my lack of knowledge.

    That's 10%

    #2: I know I could implement an opacity mask, but I am looking for transparency
    functionality on a specific gradient slider ala photoshop. posting in
    feature request...

    OK

    #3: you gotta admit the panels are a bit out of control. Although this
    is more organizational than anything. The only panel mess that tops Illustrator
    is InDesign.

    That one doesn't count. I like lots of panels. 20%

    #4: still can't set transparency numerically with the keyboard that I
    know of.

    OK

    #5: gripe solved. This was also due to my lack of knowledge.

    30%

    #6: I recently recreated a file from Illustrator in InDesign with all
    linked graphics. The same file in Illustrator was 400mb. In InDesign it
    was 50mb.

    OK

    #7: unless I'm mistaken, you can't turn off wysywig menus. I'd rather
    ctrl-shift-. to go through the larger-size fonts to preview them with
    custom text.

    I don't really see the problem...40%

    #8: Once again, unless I'm mistaken, you can't specify where the stroke
    is applied. You can say how the corners are rendered, but not inside,
    outside, or both.

    Offset Path, or Effects>Transform, 50%

    OK So it wasn't 90%.

    Bert
    Bert Philippus Guest

  13. #13

    LOL

    so you like lots of panels and you don't see the problem. That means my gripes are due to my lack of knowledge.

    Brilliant deduction.
    mikedfunk@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Panels shmanels, toggle them with tab or call them with shortcuts as needed.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    all i'm saying is what a pain it is to have probably twice as many panels as necessary, as compared to photoshop's slim panel layout. I have a dual 19" setup so I put them all on the right screen, but still it's a pain because there's so much crap to sift through. Even if it weren't all up at the same time, I would have to select a certain panel for a certain job instead of having a slim context-sensitive panel that displays the mutually exclusive key attributes of what I have selected. why is that such a big deal? photoshop, indesign, fireworks, and dreamweaver do it.
    mikedfunk@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    -speaking of gradients, it is downright silly that I can't set the transparency
    of a gradient stop point. Positively loony.

    While I am fore this implementation, show me one VECTOR application that has this ability.

    #7: unless I'm mistaken, you can't turn off wysywig menus. I'd rather
    ctrl-shift-. to go through the larger-size fonts to preview them with
    custom text.

    Edit>Preferences>Type and Auto Tracing: Uncheck font preview. (though with this setting in conjuction with persistant swatch menus causes Illustrator to crash)

    #6: I recently recreated a file from Illustrator in InDesign with all
    linked graphics. The same file in Illustrator was 400mb. In InDesign it
    was 50mb.

    There are ways to save a small file size. Mainly saving without pdf compatibility and not including links.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    thanks John, that helps.
    mikedfunk@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    While I am fore this implementation, show me one VECTOR application that
    has this ability.

    Although it's a hybrid vector-raster application, Macromedia Fireworks has this ability.
    Stéphane_Bergeron@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    #7: unless I'm mistaken, you can't turn off wysywig menus. I'd rather
    ctrl-shift-. to go through the larger-size fonts to preview them with
    custom text.

    You are mistaken. The font previews can be turned off in the preferences.
    Robert_Oliver@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    The font previews can be turned off in the preferences.

    Nobody ever reads post 15. ;)

    Although it's a hybrid vector-raster application, Macromedia Fireworks
    has this ability.

    I will give you half credit for this answer. What formats can it save/export out to and retain the transparency?
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast