Professional Web Applications Themes

This probably aint the right place . . . but there's no real newsgroup for MySQL - PERL Miscellaneous

Hope you don't mind me crossposting this but I'd really like to get a few responses as my lame ISp never so much as answers my questions. My ISP has given me a shell and 5meg to play with, I want to run a football tipping website for me a nd a few friends next season - Trivial stuff. HTML and Perl basically, maybe a few cron jobs to update the round table. I haven't used MySql and need to set up a few tables for rounds, punters and tips scoring etc . . . simple database . . . ...

  1. #1

    Default This probably aint the right place . . . but there's no real newsgroup for MySQL

    Hope you don't mind me crossposting this but I'd really like to get a few

    My ISP has given me a shell and 5meg to play with, I want to run a football
    tipping website for me a nd a few friends next season - Trivial stuff. HTML
    and Perl basically, maybe a few cron jobs to update the round table.

    I haven't used MySql and need to set up a few tables for rounds, punters and
    tips scoring etc . . . simple database . . . easy relations, not rocket
    science to design and implement using Perl. I imagine once I have set this
    up the Perl side of it puts any sort of interface with MySQl to bed.

    Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to define a database,
    from the UNIX prompt and interact with MySQL to do this - where typically do
    they place the binaries for MySQl in the UNIX scheme of things, (could be
    Linux but I have a Bourne Shell so I'm assuming UNIX).

    Thanks very much in advance,
    Bob.

    Bob Guest

  2. #2

    Erik Max Francis wrote in message <com>...
    :Michael Budash wrote:
    :
    :> > Hope you don't mind me crossposting this but I'd really like to get
    :> > a few
    :>
    :> change isps, life's too short...
    :
    :Why should it be his ISP's responsibility to teach him programming?
    :

    Well it's not my ISP's responsibilty to 'teach me programming' I agree but
    some sort of info as to where and if I can create a database might be
    considered considerate given the money I pay them for the service.
    :--
    : Erik Max Francis && com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
    : __ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && &tSftDotIotE
    :/ \ Sometimes there's no point in giving up.
    :\__/ Louis Wu

    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Budash wrote in message ...
    :In article <com>,
    : Erik Max Francis <com> wrote:
    :
    :> Michael Budash wrote:
    :>
    :> > > Hope you don't mind me crossposting this but I'd really like to
    :> > > get a few responses as my lame ISp never so much as answers my
    :> > > questions.
    :> >
    :> > change isps, life's too short...
    :>
    :> Why should it be his ISP's responsibility to teach him programming?
    :
    :he said: "my lame ISp never so much as answers my questions", not: "my
    :lame ISp won't teach me programming and it's their responsibility".
    :
    Thanks for taking the time and consideration to answer my questions Mike, it
    is much appreciated.

    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    :Michael Budash wrote:
    :
    :> he said: "my lame ISp never so much as answers my questions", not: "my
    :> lame ISp won't teach me programming and it's their responsibility".
    :
    :That's right. Yet the question he had was about programming, not
    :something related to his ISP's technical support.
    :
    No, it wasn't a programming question in fact, more a question as to 'where
    is typically', rather than 'how to' and I regard a 'where is' question a
    technical support question, you know, something someone new in a job might
    ring a sys admin to ask, I have tried my 'sys admin' but they are out having
    a smoke by the loook of things.

    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    In article <T9obb.3950$pacific.net.au>,
    "Bob" <com> wrote:

    change isps, life's too short...

    your isp should have given you the mysql host (which may be
    'localhost'), dbname, username and password for your db. since the mysql
    binaries may well be in your shells' default path, try this from the
    command line:

    mysql -h hostname -u username -ppassword dbname

    if it can't find the mysql binary, you'll need to call your isp (sorry).

    alternatively, many isps give you a controlled interface to your db.
    some use something called phpMyAdmin, a nice tool (even if it isn't
    written in perl!).

    from there, rtfm:

    http://www.mysql.com/doentation/

    i'm sure you'll be back to ask about using perl to interact with your
    db, so this'll get you started:

    perldoc DBI
    perldoc DBD::mysql

    if they (the DBI and DBD::mysql perl modules) are not installed, your
    isp is less than lame... but you can install them yourself. let's only
    go there if we have to...

    that should get you started. good luck!
    --
    Michael Budash
    Michael Guest

  6. #6

    Michael Budash wrote:

    > change isps, life's too short...[/ref]

    Why should it be his ISP's responsibility to teach him programming?

    --
    Erik Max Francis && com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
    / \ Sometimes there's no point in giving up.
    \__/ Louis Wu
    Erik Guest

  7. #7

  8. #8

    if you have a full time connection (cable | dsl) , just set up you're own
    web server.

    no linux box? cygwin (GPL=free)!!! or get a junk box and put redhat on it.

    both cygwin and redhat come with apache. you could run mysql on cygwin or
    get the win32 binary. redhat comes with mysql.

    got pppoe? use a (free) dynamic dns like www.dyndns.org

    then you're web site can be something like http://fbtipping.ath.cx

    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    Michael Budash wrote:

    That's right. Yet the question he had was about programming, not
    something related to his ISP's technical support.

    --
    Erik Max Francis && com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
    / \ Show me this is / A love forever
    \__/ Nik Kershaw