Professional Web Applications Themes

Thomas Rooney..and others, New Camera - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Just wondering if you had decided on a new Digital and if so, which one. I have been sitting back and picking up pointers on different models and all the other good info. here on the forum. I have not made a decision yet on my first digital. At first I was leaning to the Nikon Coolpix 4300, then from Jodi's expereience, the Fugi s5000, then the Minolta Diamage s414, now the Kodak DX6490. I am now totally confused. Maybe by Santa Claus time, I will make a decision. I'm sure any of the above would be a great choice, ...

  1. #1

    Default Thomas Rooney..and others, New Camera

    Just wondering if you had decided on a new Digital and if so, which one. I have been sitting back and picking up pointers on different models and all the other good info. here on the forum. I have not made a decision yet on my first digital. At first I was leaning to the Nikon Coolpix 4300, then from Jodi's expereience, the Fugi s5000, then the Minolta Diamage s414, now the Kodak DX6490. I am now totally confused. Maybe by Santa Claus time, I will make a decision. I'm sure any of the above would be a great choice, but I do like the features of the Kodak DX6490. Maybe it's at the head of the list now. Comments welcome.
    Earl_Alexander@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Thomas Rooney..and others, New Camera

    PC Magazine best digital camera :
    http://pcmag.pricegrabber.com/home_catpage.php/catzero=76/ut=18c91ff6c31d0130

    Just because a camera is on top of the list doesn't mean it's the best, but I suppose it helps...
    ;-)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  3. #3

    in my honest opinion, Kodak is on top when it comes to color. I upgraded to the Fuji because i wanted more than a point and shoot and my older kodak DX3500 didn't have an optical zoom or any other user settings for that matter. I'm thrilled with the color I get from my Fuji but still amazed at what my Kodak can capture color-wise. They know their stuff.. imo.
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Earl,

    I'll be ordering the Kodak ASAP (meaning when I can scrap together $500). I'm upgrading from my old Kodak DC290 which I've been pretty happy with. I agree with Jodi on the color thing. The DC290 has it's faults, but IMO the color and fidelity of my pictures isn't one of them. I too was considering the Fuji S5000 but this review <http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx6490-review/index.shtml> tipped the scales for me in favor of the Kodak. Steve's <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/dx6490.html> also gave the Kodak a favorable review (scroll down to the bottom of the page for page 2,3,4 and his conclusion).

    I can't wait! :-)

    Joe
    Joe_Henry1000@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Earl, i just went and took a look at the new Kodak you spoke of. Looks like a mighty fine piece of equipment for the price. Now I want that one too ;)
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Earl,

    I haven't made any definate decisions yet. I am still trying to do a lot of research, but I am leaning toward a canon. My other delema is if I should stay with the point and shoot, or take it to the next level with an SLR. For point and shoot I would probably get the S400 from canon, for SLR I have been looking at the new digital rebel. Sorry I can't be more of a help.

    Tom Rooney
    Thomas_Rooney@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Just only my opinion, for what it is worth.

    My choice would be:

    -the Minolta Dimage A, because of its image stabilizing function and excellent optics,
    -the Fuji 7000 or 5000 because of its extended exposure latitude, or
    -the Canon G5, just because its traditional looks appeal to me and it has a great lens too-and it's smaller than the others.

    So, best advice probably, buy them all. ;-)

    Leen
    Leen_Koper@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks to everyone with all the good advise. I can see, it's not going to be an easy and quick decision.
    Earl_Alexander@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    How does the canon 300 D (rebel) fit in all this?
    I understood it supposed to be the hottest thing under the sunand for under $1000, but none of you mention it.

    Robert
    Schraven_Robert@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I did a lot of research and ended up buying the Canon 300D. I am
    extremely happy with it and I don't think you would be
    disappointed. All of the pictures in the galleries linked below
    are from the 300D. My second choice would have been the Canon G3
    over the newer G5. The reviews I read said it had a better
    picture even though or perhaps because it has 1 less megapixel.
    There seems to be a point of the CCD size becoming to small for
    the larger number of pixels which leads to more noise.

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I've concluded it's much easier to pick a perfect wife than a perfect
    camera, but it's much less expensive to change cameras.

    For what it's worth, after reading dozens of reviews and shopping for two
    days, and bought a Kodak 4330. About two weeks later, it stopped working.
    After waiting nine weeks for the shop to repair it, I decided to give it to
    my grand daughter.

    Then I selected a Kodak DX 6340 and waited weeks for it to come out. I was
    thrilled - simple, powerful and easy to use. My first batch of
    "never-to-be-available-again" pics of the big (sail) boat races in San
    Francisco Bay came out badly blurred. Kodak was very prompt and generous in
    OK'ing a replacement at Best Buy.

    I reluctantly decided Kodak may have QC problems and decided on either a
    Canon or an Olympus Stylus. The Canon was too small for my fingers to easily
    use all the buttons, so I settled on the Stylus 300 (3mpx), no, wait - the
    400 (4 mpx) for only $50.00 more. So far, the Stylus pics seem to be
    excellent and it's easy to use.

    Morals:
    -There are no perfect cameras, but $400 - $500 will get you close.
    -Small is not necessarily good.
    -Buy with a full replacement guarantee and shoot lots of pics as soon as
    possible.
    - If you have a good wife, keep her.

    <com> wrote in message
    have been sitting back and picking up pointers on different models and all
    the other good info. here on the forum. I have not made a decision yet on my
    first digital. At first I was leaning to the Nikon Coolpix 4300, then from
    Jodi's expereience, the Fugi s5000, then the Minolta Diamage s414, now the
    Kodak DX6490. I am now totally confused. Maybe by Santa Claus time, I will
    make a decision. I'm sure any of the above would be a great choice, but I do
    like the features of the Kodak DX6490. Maybe it's at the head of the list
    now. Comments welcome.

    Michael Guest

  12. #12

    I'm really happy with my G3 - the G5 is prettty much the same with more megapixels and reviews suggest that this may not be entirely a good thing. The downside of the digital rebel is the extra size and the cost of extra lenses which would be too, too tempting- the big plus would be the fact that it focuses like an SLR, not like a compact and has much lower levels of noise at high ISO settings - these are the big downside to me for the compact cameras. The G3 is a nice compromise with size - I don't like too small a camera as I find them hard to hold steady. The G3's ability to take an external flash is a big plus - particularly as I have now worked out how to use fill flash on the G3 properly. At the moment I can't justify the additional expense of the 300D, having paid $A prices for the G3 which does most of what I want to do - but it would have been a different story I think if the 300D had been available at its current price when I was first looking.
    susan S.
    Susan_S.@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Joe,

    I too have a DC290 (wife's camera now) and love Kodak color. The only downside of the latest Kodak is the high degree of jpeg compression which gets you smaller file sizes than you might expect.

    Still, it will have that wonderful "Kodachrome" color. I miss it on my Canon 10D. I try to come close by cranking up the saturation two notches.

    Steve
    Stephen_C._Smith@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    The only downside of the latest Kodak is the high degree of jpeg compression
    which gets you smaller file sizes than you might expect.

    Yeah Steve I was a little concerned about that but after reading those reviews, I decided it'd be ok. I wonder why Kodak did that?

  15. #15

    Joe,

    To fit more images on that built-in memory? I dunno. I would have to give that camera a serious look as a DC 290 replacement. It looks wonderful and the closest thing to a 290 successor. I played with one the other day at a local Best Buy. I did npt have the eyepiece diopter adjusted properly so the images were blurry in the EVF. They looked great in the LCD. I don't remember much shutter lag and the startup time made the 290 feel like a snail.

  16. #16

    To fit more images on that built-in memory

    I suppose but I would have thought that if this is Kodaks newest, high-end, SLR looking point and shoot camera they would have give users an option of reducing the compression and/or shooting in RAW/Tiff. I thought I read somewhere that they were targeting the camera at the intermediate to advanced amateur photographers who might want the option of having more control (and controls) then their current line of EasyShare cameras.

    Anyway, I too think it'll make a good replacement for my DC 290.

  17. #17

    I just did what I said I wasn't going to do and had a play with the Canon 300 D. I'm afraid my G3 is never going to seem quite as attractive again. The speed of focus in particular is absolutely striking and it is so much easier to manual focus.....

    But then at the price that they currently charge for a G3 if you can find one, that is also very attractive (more than 25 percent less that I paid for one four months ago!)

  18. #18

    Susan, I can relate to that... When we bought our current digital camera, we went at the store with
    the intention of trying the G3, see how it felt in our hands, take some shots and come home to see
    what they would look like on the computer / printer. Then, the sales clerck offered us to discover
    the 10D for a few moments, while he was querrying / updating the inventory system for our G3.

    We went home with no camera, but with an order confirmation for the 10D... ;-)

    Having a lot of EOS equipment (lenses, flashes, filters), we only had the body to buy (well.. only
    doesn't exactly fit the price tag of the 10D here..!!). BTW, if you're (or anyone else) interested
    in a good review on the 300D, check out Popular Photography & Imaging - November 2003 edition (a
    magazine).

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  19. #19

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/
    http://www.dpreview.com/
    rec.photo.digital

    I own several Sonys (DSC-S70, f717) and a Canon (A300, cuz I can throw it in
    my purse); am going for a DSLR (have Pentax lenses...but may buy a Canon)
    and am definitely buying a Panasonic DMC-FZ10. If you want to do post
    processing and control your image, then a point and shoot is not for you; if
    you want a longer zoom capability, then most point and shoots don't fill the
    bill; if you want to snap a shot at the drop of a hat then you probably want
    a point and shoot. You also want a decent LENS, the thing that makes the
    most difference in a camera's image.
    HTH
    <com> wrote in message
    have been sitting back and picking up pointers on different models and all
    the other good info. here on the forum. I have not made a decision yet on my
    first digital. At first I was leaning to the Nikon Coolpix 4300, then from
    Jodi's expereience, the Fugi s5000, then the Minolta Diamage s414, now the
    Kodak DX6490. I am now totally confused. Maybe by Santa Claus time, I will
    make a decision. I'm sure any of the above would be a great choice, but I do
    like the features of the Kodak DX6490. Maybe it's at the head of the list
    now. Comments welcome.

    nuttin Guest