Professional Web Applications Themes

Thoth - filter to kill Troll not working - Mac Networking

I'm trying to kill all posts coming from a troll in a newsgroup that I lurk in. The posts have the following line: "Organization: alias.net" In Thoth, I've created a filter for the newsgroup with the following: Matching: Organization Contains the String "alias.net" That line isn't matching any of the posts even though the line is right there on every post when viewing "show details". Any suggestions? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Thoth - filter to kill Troll not working

    I'm trying to kill all posts coming from a troll in a newsgroup that I
    lurk in. The posts have the following line:

    In Thoth, I've created a filter for the newsgroup with the following:

    Matching: Organization Contains the String "alias.net"

    That line isn't matching any of the posts even though the line is right
    there on every post when viewing "show details". Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    NN Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Thoth - filter to kill Troll not working

    On 2/22/04 11:27 AM, in article 220220041127049853%nn1.org, "NN"
    <nn1.org> wrote:

    I'm dealing with the same garbage in rec.photo.digital. I found that
    setting up the filter to kill any message where the "Path" contains the
    string "nym.alias.net!mail2news" works with the news.individual.net
    newsserver, anyway. According to some threads in that newsgroup about
    filtering, it depends on whether the newsserver supports Path, or
    Organization? This method did not work when I tried using it with my other
    newsserver, news2.news.adelphia.net.
    Good Luck,
    NB

    nellybly Guest

  3. #3

    In article <BC5E4905.493D4%net>, nellybly
    <net> wrote:

    Right. See Thoth > Preferences > Filtering > Warn of missing headers.

    F'ups to .comm.

    --
    Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois
    org | Finger/Web for PGP & S/MIME

  4. #4

    In article <220220041127049853%nn1.org>, NN <nn1.org> wrote:

    I'm unsure but here are a few ideas. Do you have filtering disabled in
    the preferences > filtering panel?

    You could use "contains" instead of "is", and make sure you check the
    ignore case box.

    In previous incarnations there use to be a toggle for "filter on
    extended header information" or some such. This allowed filtering to
    be more rapid if you're NOT looking at such things. Maybe that's still
    in there somewhere and you have it turned off. I'd check the manual.
    Just read that whole chapter. It's good for you anyway.

    --
    First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
    care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.

  5. #5

    <net> wrote:

    > I'm dealing with the same garbage in rec.photo.digital. I found that
    > setting up the filter to kill any message where the "Path" contains the
    > string "nym.alias.net!mail2news" works with the news.individual.net
    > newsserver, anyway. According to some threads in that newsgroup about
    > filtering, it depends on whether the newsserver supports Path, or
    > Organization? This method did not work when I tried using it with my other
    > newsserver, news2.news.adelphia.net.
    > Good Luck,
    > NB[/ref]

    It's the same person. He's crossposting to rec.photo.digital and
    rec.photo.equipment.35mm. That's exactly who I want to get rid of.
    NN Guest

  6. #6

    <net> wrote:

    > I'm dealing with the same garbage in rec.photo.digital. I found that
    > setting up the filter to kill any message where the "Path" contains the
    > string "nym.alias.net!mail2news" works with the news.individual.net
    > newsserver, anyway. According to some threads in that newsgroup about
    > filtering, it depends on whether the newsserver supports Path, or
    > Organization? This method did not work when I tried using it with my other
    > newsserver, news2.news.adelphia.net.
    > Good Luck,
    > NB[/ref]

    I just tried "Path contains the string "nym.alias.net!mail2news"" and
    it still doesn't work. I've turned on the show missing headers option
    suggested by Adam also, but no warnings yet. Filtering is active.
    NN Guest

  7. #7

    NN <nn1.org> writes:

    Not all news servers provide that information when you use them, so
    filtering based on Organization and other 'internal' headers doesn't work
    with all servers. You can either use another server or you will have to go
    through and match strings in the from and subject lines. I read the
    rec.photo newsgroups, too, and it took 5 or 10 minutes to match his rather
    limited word list and get rid of him. I also killed threads.

    He's not very good, so it's fairly simple to use the brute force method of
    string matching. He's started putting nonalphanumeric characters between
    letters, so here are a couple of tips:
    STOP
    can be filtered by putting that string in as either subject or from,
    depending on where he's using it. Ignore case will get STOP and stop. NOTE,
    that I'm using 'stop,' and of course he's using other four letter words, so
    the fact that other people use stop in a subject is of no matter.

    S.T.O.P.
    can be filtered by S[^a-zA-Z0-9]T[^a-zA-Z0-9]O[^a-zA-Z0-9]P[^a-zA-Z0-9]
    where [^a-zA-Z0-9] is a regular expression that matches all alphanumeric
    charactors -- so when he switches to S^T^O^P^, it still gets killed.

    He's beein using SToP and the like, so
    [sS][^a-zA-Z0-9][tT][^a-zA-Z0-9][oO][^a-zA-Z0-9][pP]
    will catch such instances no matter which letters are capitalized or lower
    case.

    Just copy [^a-zA-Z0-9] and paste it in to save typing. It takes longer to
    filter this way than from the headers we can't have access to, but it's not
    too onerous due to the limited vocabulary. If it's easier to use a free
    newsserver and filter on Organization, by all means go for it. As for now,
    though, he's completely gone from my rec.photo experience. Now if I could
    only killfile all the posts about how he's ruined things for other people,
    I'd be set.

    As an aside, welcome to Usenet. Knowing how to set up killfiles and filter
    is a good thing. Knowing a bit about regular expressions is also nice, and
    you may find it spills over into the rest of your life. See
    http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/
    for more info on filtering and regexp.
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  8. #8

    In article <tdl.com>, Phil Stripling
    <zzn.com> wrote:

    > Not all news servers provide that information when you use them, so
    > filtering based on Organization and other 'internal' headers doesn't work
    > with all servers. You can either use another server or you will have to go
    > through and match strings in the from and subject lines. I read the
    > rec.photo newsgroups, too, and it took 5 or 10 minutes to match his rather
    > limited word list and get rid of him. I also killed threads.
    >
    > He's not very good, so it's fairly simple to use the brute force method of
    > string matching. He's started putting nonalphanumeric characters between
    > letters, so here are a couple of tips:
    > STOP
    > can be filtered by putting that string in as either subject or from,
    > depending on where he's using it. Ignore case will get STOP and stop. NOTE,
    > that I'm using 'stop,' and of course he's using other four letter words, so
    > the fact that other people use stop in a subject is of no matter.
    >
    > S.T.O.P.
    > can be filtered by S[^a-zA-Z0-9]T[^a-zA-Z0-9]O[^a-zA-Z0-9]P[^a-zA-Z0-9]
    > where [^a-zA-Z0-9] is a regular expression that matches all alphanumeric
    > charactors -- so when he switches to S^T^O^P^, it still gets killed.
    >
    > He's beein using SToP and the like, so
    > [sS][^a-zA-Z0-9][tT][^a-zA-Z0-9][oO][^a-zA-Z0-9][pP]
    > will catch such instances no matter which letters are capitalized or lower
    > case.
    >
    > Just copy [^a-zA-Z0-9] and paste it in to save typing. It takes longer to
    > filter this way than from the headers we can't have access to, but it's not
    > too onerous due to the limited vocabulary. If it's easier to use a free
    > newsserver and filter on Organization, by all means go for it. As for now,
    > though, he's completely gone from my rec.photo experience. Now if I could
    > only killfile all the posts about how he's ruined things for other people,
    > I'd be set.
    >
    > As an aside, welcome to Usenet. Knowing how to set up killfiles and filter
    > is a good thing. Knowing a bit about regular expressions is also nice, and
    > you may find it spills over into the rest of your life. See
    > http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/
    > for more info on filtering and regexp.[/ref]

    Thanks Phil. That'll all take a bit to learn but I'm onto it.
    NN Guest

  9. #9

    In article <tdl.com>, Phil Stripling
    <zzn.com> wrote:

    I've looked at this page and it hasn't helped me figure out how to do
    what I want. I'm trying to set up filters for groups that contain
    alt.binaries. but not multimedia. If you can point me to the
    appropriate part of the page or explain it to me I would appreciate it.

    --
    Norman Sylvia
    Norman Guest

  10. #10

    Norman Sylvia <net> writes:

    Hi, Norman,

    The original poster said, "I'm trying to kill all posts coming from a troll
    in a newsgroup that I lurk in." Thus, the page I pointed to answered (I
    hope) his question.

    Your question appears to be different, but you are starting in the
    middle. Please start from the beginning. Are you trying to eliminate
    alt.binaries? Are you trying to kill a particular troll in alt.binaries
    groups, but not in multimedia groups? What newsreader? More questions come
    to mind, but that's a start. I suggest a new thread to cover your specific
    queries. You may get more and better answers with a specific subject line
    in your post, as opposed to NN's.

  11. #11

    Default Thoth Filter was Re: Thoth - filter to kill Troll not working

    <zzn.com> wrote:

    > Hi, Norman,
    >
    > The original poster said, "I'm trying to kill all posts coming from a troll
    > in a newsgroup that I lurk in." Thus, the page I pointed to answered (I
    > hope) his question.
    >
    > Your question appears to be different, but you are starting in the
    > middle. Please start from the beginning. Are you trying to eliminate
    > alt.binaries? Are you trying to kill a particular troll in alt.binaries
    > groups, but not in multimedia groups? What newsreader? More questions come
    > to mind, but that's a start. I suggest a new thread to cover your specific
    > queries. You may get more and better answers with a specific subject line
    > in your post, as opposed to NN's.[/ref]

    I posted my question in this thread because you addressed regular
    expressions in Thoth. That is what my question referred to.

    What I am trying to do is set up spam filters in Thoth. I currently
    have several filters set up to block spam in all the alt.binaries.
    groups. Most of the spam doesn't appear in the alt.binaries.multimedia
    groups and the filters block a lot of legitimate posts. I would like to
    exclude the multimedia groups from these filters. Sorry I wasn't clear.

    --
    Norman Sylvia
    Norman Guest

  12. #12

    Norman Sylvia <net> writes:

    If your filters are killing legitimate posts, you need to give some thought
    to how to refine them.

    I'm sorry to say I'm not familiar with the multimedia news groups, so I
    can't be as helpful as some others. To block only certain newsgroups, you
    have two choices, as far as I know. One is to create a filter for each
    newsgroup individually. On my version of Thoth, the New Filter dialogue box
    does this by default. (I'm assuming you know how to create a New Filter,
    Kill this Subject, and so on; that seems to be the case from your post.)

    The other way is to make the newsgroup name a regular expression, and
    here's where I lose my ability to help you. If your alt.binaries.multimedia
    newsgroup is named that, but all the other binaries newsgroups you are
    subscribed to are named alt.binaries.something or other, you can't just use
    alt.binaries.* to filter all newsgroups beginning with those two words. So
    look at the names of the groups to see if you can filter alt.binaries.p* or
    alt.binaries.s* or whatever. If so, be sure to check the box called "Name
    is a Regular Expression" below that top window for newsgroup names.

    Again, though, if your filters are catching articles you want to read, you
    need to rethink how they are set up and refine them. This is part of every
    learning experience, so it's a Good Thing. Have fun, and I hope this is of
    some help.

  13. #13

    <zzn.com> wrote:

    > If your filters are killing legitimate posts, you need to give some thought
    > to how to refine them.
    >[/ref]
    These posts are only legitimate in the multimedia groups. That is why I
    am trying to exclude these groups from the filters. In the other binary
    groups, they don't catch enough good posts to worry about.

    I do know how to create New Filter and so on. The New Filter dialogue
    box automatically includes the currently selected newsgroup. To apply
    a filter to many groups, it was easier to filter all the alt.binaries.
    groups than to create the same filter for each seperate group.

    That is exactly my problem.

    The current filters use alt.binaries. as the newsgroup name with the
    box checked. Unfortunately, the groups are not all in one heirarchy
    which makes it difficult to get all or most of them with a
    "alt.binaries.s*" type filter. I could get certain sets of groups that
    way and then create individual filters for the rest. I am trying to
    avoid the redundancy of having the same filter for several different
    groups. That may not be possible.

    I have spent a lot of time rethinking and refining the filters. I try
    to catch the most junk in the most efficient way. Using regular
    expressions has made that much easier. You've given me a lot to think
    about. Thanks for the input.

    --
    Norman Sylvia
    Norman Guest

  14. #14

    In article <240220042151314846%net>, Norman Sylvia
    <net> wrote:

    > > If your filters are killing legitimate posts, you need to give some thought
    > > to how to refine them.
    > >[/ref]
    > These posts are only legitimate in the multimedia groups. That is why I
    > am trying to exclude these groups from the filters. In the other binary
    > groups, they don't catch enough good posts to worry about.

    > I do know how to create New Filter and so on. The New Filter dialogue
    > box automatically includes the currently selected newsgroup. To apply
    > a filter to many groups, it was easier to filter all the alt.binaries.
    > groups than to create the same filter for each seperate group.

    > That is exactly my problem.

    > The current filters use alt.binaries. as the newsgroup name with the
    > box checked. Unfortunately, the groups are not all in one heirarchy
    > which makes it difficult to get all or most of them with a
    > "alt.binaries.s*" type filter. I could get certain sets of groups that
    > way and then create individual filters for the rest. I am trying to
    > avoid the redundancy of having the same filter for several different
    > groups. That may not be possible.

    > I have spent a lot of time rethinking and refining the filters. I try
    > to catch the most junk in the most efficient way. Using regular
    > expressions has made that much easier. You've given me a lot to think
    > about. Thanks for the input.[/ref]

    Does this spammer post to more than one group? Try this:
    "kill" if "newsgroups" "Matches Regular Expression" ,.*,.*,.*,.*,
    This will kill if posted to 5 groups. If more or less groups are needed
    add or subtract one ,.*,
    This filter looks at the "Newsgroups" header and sees if it contains
    two commas separated by any amount of text.
    Craig Guest

  15. #15

    In article <240220042150323846%net>, Craig D. <net> wrote:

    snipped

    In some cases it is a spammer. In others it is a certain type of
    content. When the same message is posted to several groups, this would
    be useful. I would have to use it carefully, though. Sometimes I read
    three or four groups on the same subject and the same posts are made to
    all the groups. I wouldn't want to lose valid posts because they are
    excessively cross-posted.

    --
    Norman Sylvia
    Norman Guest