Professional Web Applications Themes

Thoth no longer available! - Mac Networking

site sez "not practical" or some such any more information? --...

  1. #1

    Default Thoth no longer available!

    site sez "not practical" or some such

    any more information?

    --
    Tim Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Thoth no longer available!

    Tim Lance wrote:

    Man, that's sad. Maybe he got sick and tired of being pummelled
    in the newsgroups, or he realised that if only 0.05% of users
    were paying for it, then he can't break even. Anyway, I've been
    trying Unison and I must say, I like it WAYYYYY better than
    Thoth's antediluvian interface.
    George Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>, George Williams
    <com> wrote:

    It is sad--but it will continue to work for those who have it until
    some operating system upgrade someday breaks it.

    Unison has a ways to go before I would buy it. It needs robust
    filtering ability and keyboard shortcuts.

    --
    Charles
    Charles Guest

  4. #4

    George Williams <com> writes:

    Uh, the pummelling _where_?
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  5. #5

    In article <220220041830371191%com.remove.invalid>,
    Charles <com.remove.invalid> wrote:

    > It is sad--but it will continue to work for those who have it until
    > some operating system upgrade someday breaks it.

    > Unison has a ways to go before I would buy it. It needs robust
    > filtering ability and keyboard shortcuts.[/ref]

    I still prefer MT-NewsWatcher. I beta tested Unison, but I could just
    never force myself to use it.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: http://www.mc-development.com/

  6. #6

    The Web site states:

    "Thoth, Rosetta, and Ptah for OS X were introduced in November 2000.

    "Thoth received 40 updates with many new features and
    improvements. Rosetta and Ptah were similarly updated numerous
    times. All updates were free to existing customers. Sadly, publishing
    these programs is no longer practicable.

    "Thoth, Rosetta, and Ptah can no longer be downloaded or purchased."

    Not a lot of information and no actual reason being given.

    There's lots of possibilities- some good, some not: new job, marriage,
    won the lottery, simply got tired of it, or perhaps the dire
    predictions regarding the apparent use of John Norstad's code came
    true. Or maybe the end is coming for Carbon apps in general.

    In any event, these applications are gone and the code does not
    appear to be released so that someone else can carry on. Always a
    loss to the community when that happens. Those who used and liked
    these applications will miss having future development, I'm sure.
    Tim Guest

  7. #7

    In article
    <bellsouth.net>, Mike
    Cohen <com> wrote:

    Unfortunately in today's Usenet robust filtering is a must. Unison's
    filter feature just does not cut it. While I prefer Thoth's method of
    creating filters, MT-Newswatchers filtering is also robust. I realize
    Unison is only at version 1. Hopefully there will be later versions
    that add robust filtering, and correct some other problems.

    --
    Charles
    Charles Guest

  8. #8

    In article <220220041706333786%NotAbitOFspam*rr.com>,
    Tim Lance <NotAbitOFspam*rr.com> wrote:

    Brian Clark is unbelievable. This is the second time that he has
    abandoned his products in a very public way. If his career involves
    programming, doesn't he worry that showing a pattern of abandoning his
    products will raise concerns among potential employers?

    This is really unfortunate because Thoth is a great program. It has some
    UI warts, but overall, it works well.
    tbv Guest

  9. #9

    In article <local>, Tim McNamara
    <net> wrote:

    This has been coming for a while. The truth is that Thoth (and the
    other two apps) just wasn't profitable enough for Brian to keep working
    on it. I guess it's just time for him to move on to other projects.

    Probably because one of its strengths is with binary downloading, Thoth
    was used in great part by people who frequent the warez groups. Of
    course those people tend to use pirated versions, so a lot of revenue
    was lost there. I know this is one of the main reasons Brian has given
    me in the past.

    Indeed, he has been thinking about Thoth's retirement for a few months
    (since the last official update), but I (and maybe a few others)
    advised him to hang in there and see if revenues would eventually get
    better. Unfortunately, it didn't.

    A Cocoa version with an updated interface would probably have been
    needed to create a renewed interest, but it was financially impossible
    for Brian to embark on this. Right now, his computer is not even
    supported by Panther, which of course makes it difficult to even write
    new updates. I also think health issues are involved.

    I'm also saddened by this, as Thoth was of course my newsreader of
    choice, and I worked a lot on it as a tester (I also wrote some
    extensive doentation for it, which was available as a download for a
    little while). I hope it doesn't get broken too quickly by an OS
    update.

    --
    Martin Nadeau
    Martin Guest

  10. #10

    In article <giganews.com>, tbv
    <tbv.org.invalid> wrote:

    If his career involves programming, doesn't he worry that showing a
    pattern of abandoning his products will raise concerns among
    potential employers?

    No, he doesn't.

    If you ever write a program like Thoth, you'll find out why.

    --
    "We're going to rush the hijackers."
    -Jeremy Glick, aboard United Airlines flight 93, September 11, 2001
    Jammer Guest

  11. #11

    Tim McNamara <net> wrote:

    All of which, except the penultimate, would explain ending development,
    support, and sale. But withdrawing the applications from download from
    the various shareware sites suggests that this is another bout of Brian
    Clark pique, perhaps at the enthusiastic reception that Unison has been
    getting.
    Neill Guest

  12. #12

    In article <220220041830371191%com.remove.invalid>,
    Charles <com.remove.invalid> wrote:

    > It is sad--but it will continue to work for those who have it until
    > some operating system upgrade someday breaks it.

    > Unison has a ways to go before I would buy it. It needs robust
    > filtering ability and keyboard shortcuts.[/ref]

    Unison isn't there yet, for serious users. But it will add support for
    more advanced features, or some other slick new Cocoa newsreader will
    emerge with advanced features. Think of the current version of Unison as
    a sort of preview of the future of Mac newsreading. It's a future
    without much room for dinosaurs like Thoth.

    --
    "In my judgment, when the United States says there will be serious consequences,
    and if there isn't serious consequences, it creates adverse consequences."

  13. #13

    Neill Massello <net> wrote:

    > All of which, except the penultimate, would explain ending
    > development, support, and sale. But withdrawing the applications from
    > download from the various shareware sites suggests that this is
    > another bout of Brian Clark pique, perhaps at the enthusiastic
    > reception that Unison has been getting.[/ref]

    Except (a) he doesn't have anything to do whith any alternative
    download sites (except for the french translation), and (b) he's been
    talking about doing this for quite some time, long before Unison was
    released (not to mention that the reception of Unison hasn't been all
    *that* enthusastic).

    --
    J.B. Moreno
    J.B. Guest

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Charles Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. #15

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:06:33 -0600, Tim Lance wrote:

    Gosh, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Personally, I thought it was
    an OK newsreader--except when I was trying to use it with Giganews. I
    still use it to read earthlink.* newsgroups and news.gmane.org (haven't
    bothered yet to set up pan for those tasks). Just hope the next
    "interesting" Mac newsreader has an easier-to-pronounce name. ;-)
    Good-bye, Thoth.

    Emily

    --
    "If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
    Emily Jackson

    Emily Guest

  16. #16

    In article <newsguy.com>, Charles
    Dyer <com> wrote:

    I don't recall issues after every major update. Thoth did not require
    any update to work with Panther. It still works fine. I registered
    Thoth and used it since the OS X version came out, so I feel that I
    have gotten my moneys worth. And again, it still works fine. It is
    impossible to predict what will happen with the next OS update. I am
    not mad at Brian, nor do I feel betrayed. It is sad Thoth is no longer
    available, but he has the right to his life, and what he wants to do
    with his time.

    --
    Charles
    Charles Guest

  17. #17

    In article <230220040753179499%com.remove.invalid>, Charles
    <com.remove.invalid> wrote:

    > I don't recall issues after every major update. Thoth did not require
    > any update to work with Panther. It still works fine. I registered
    > Thoth and used it since the OS X version came out, so I feel that I
    > have gotten my moneys worth. And again, it still works fine. It is
    > impossible to predict what will happen with the next OS update. I am
    > not mad at Brian, nor do I feel betrayed. It is sad Thoth is no longer
    > available, but he has the right to his life, and what he wants to do
    > with his time.[/ref]

    Well said, Charles (II). There is no point getting steamed up over a
    $25 spend that has worked well over many years and many versions.
    I sure got my money's worth.
    So long Brian (and thanks for all the fish) Thoth will be my newsreader
    till it falls over in some future OS X.

    --
    Swen has got to me. I thought I would be the last on earth to mangle my e-mail
    address. fsnospam$elliott$$

  18. #18

    Situations like this do seem to vindicate Richard Stallman's point of
    view...
    Tim Guest

  19. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator