How about trying our product, Nested Templates and Menus? [url]http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/[/url] Free 30-day evaluation version Considering the complexity of your site, this product is just for you. The demos show 3 levels of nesting and and also with 4 levels.....I can most probably go as deep as you want in the nesting levels. dc decloak.com p.s. This product is now able to handle foreign languages ......see the TONGUES of FIRE demo web site at [url]http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/Demos/NestedT_Tongues_of_Fire/[/url] "GGirlando" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message news:beteum$e0g$1forums.macromedia.com... > I'm building a site right now for a small university using templates, and relying heavily on the Halstead & ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Three levels of templates with conditional navigation menus

    How about trying our product, Nested Templates and Menus?

    [url]http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/[/url]

    Free 30-day evaluation version

    Considering the complexity of your site, this product is just for you. The
    demos show 3 levels of nesting and and also with 4 levels.....I can most
    probably go as deep as you want in the nesting levels.

    dc
    decloak.com

    p.s. This product is now able to handle foreign languages
    ......see the TONGUES of FIRE demo web site at
    [url]http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/Demos/NestedT_Tongues_of_Fire/[/url]

    "GGirlando" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I'm building a site right now for a small university using templates, and
    relying heavily on the Halstead & Summers book about Templates.

    > While I am having success using parameters with a single template and
    child pages, I keep hitting road blocks when I try to integrate these things
    into a nested template system. I'm about ready to give up and just have 12
    different templates for each of the sections of our site, yet I would so
    much prefer to get the nested system working--I am certain it would be of
    much benefit down the road to be able to update all twelve templates at
    once.

    > Basically, the navigation is the same on all pages, with the exception
    that on each of our six primary navigation sections of the site (e.g.
    "Academics", "Student Services", etc.) there is a different pull-down text
    navigation menu that opens in the down-state for each section.

    > Thus, I need to implement a multipleIf statement which displays the proper
    sub-nav menu for each section. In this, I was successful, and appreciated
    the feedback I received from Murray on this forum. However, I'm having
    problems getting this to work in a nested structure.

    > Second problem is that each of the six primary navigation sections has a
    rollover image, while the pull-down subnav menus are in text. Thus, I have
    to integrate parameters for both images and text--and all within nested
    templates.

    > The third problem is that templates 7 thru 12 (one for each of the
    programs our university offers) are all sub-nested underneath the primary
    nav section titled "Academics". After having problems with just one layer
    of nesting, I am leery of having to add another set of nested templates
    below the first level.

    > I've been searching forum archives trying to find comments which pertain
    to these issues. I have seen some suggestions that seem like they might
    apply---such as to make each of the subnav menus a Library Item. However,
    when i tried that one, it wouldn't let me add conditional parameters to the
    first nested template level, especially when all six of the first level
    nested templates are based on conditional parameters from the Master parent
    template. (Is it even possible to have conditional parameters in a child
    template that is based in conditional parameters from it's parent template?)

    > Yet, on the other hand, when I take a different approach and try to have a
    simple editable region called "navigation" on the master parent template,
    and then add in the conditional parameters to generate the child pages from
    each child template, it won't let me do that either--I get the following
    error message:

    > "You have made changes to code that is not marked as editable." Yet, it
    is right smack dab in the center of an editable region! Plus, when I try
    to save the changes anyways, I get another error message: "Access to
    undefined template parameter "page_id"." Yet, up in the head that very
    parameter exists, as follows:

    > <!-- InstanceParam name="page_id" type="text" value="home" -->
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > This is getting very frustrating! :-)
    >
    > Has anyone attempted a project like this who can give me some feedback?
    Basically, the challenge is to integrate three layers of templates (Master,
    Primary Nav, Secondary Nav) with different pulldown text menus under each of
    the templates which involve both text and graphic elements.

    > Big request I know--just having an example of something like this would be
    very helpful though!

    > Thank you.

    dc Guest

  2. #2

    GGirl:

    Obviously this is a very complex issue. Your question is also quite
    complex.

    I will need to study it in detail to post a good answer. Please let me do
    that today and I will reply tomorrow.

    It would help me if you could post a URI to some of your pages, or even
    email me a zip file of your templates....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Hey there!

    Just updated the decloak.com web site....

    increase the product to a 60-day evaluation.

    If you are wanting to do nested templates and you want to do it the "right"
    way,
    [url]http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/[/url]

    FIRST OFF, you are not buying a "tie-me-down" proprietary solution.

    And you can't go wrong here. You will at least get an 83 page instruction
    manual with 34 pictures, and nine (9) functional web sites.....technically
    you don't even need the extension..it was created to make things easier but
    you can still work with templates just as you do now.

    Nevertheless, we are the first and only company to offer and recommend a
    nested template solution that uses Dreamweaver MX templates AND also the
    first and only company to offer a Multi-Lingual Template and Menu system via
    nested templates.....that's real power, via its simplicity.....

    If you care to do a Google search within this newsgroup on terms "nested
    templates", its been highly NOT-recommended, shunned, outcast, deemed too
    complex. You name it, its been called it. Ever since Dreamweaver MX came
    out last year, its new template features have been highly shunned by those
    trying to help you and all the gurus associated with Macromedia.

    If you asked this same question before our product came out just a few weeks
    ago, you would have been told NOT to use nested templates.......see for
    yourself and search
    Google-->Macromedia Groups
    [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=nested+templates&meta=group%3Dmacromedia.*[/url]
    (watch out for word wrap and include the asterisk)

    You can easily see for yourself that there has recently been a 180 degree
    turn here regarding nested templates. You should ask yourself why this
    sudden change...actually pure silence as opposed to outright, "don't try it,
    or you will regret it" answer.

    Also, for our product, this is like the 5th version since Dreamweaver MX was
    released. So all this trial and error has been already done for you and
    you're getting a well developed template and menu system.

    IMO, you are simply wasting your time with those who do not have a working,
    in-production nested template solution in the first place.

    And even if you do get a solution from someone here in this group, compare
    the Pros and Cons.

    Can they easily swap things in and out? Make entire site changes with one
    click AND also section-only changes with one click as well? Has it got an
    Organized structure for a vast web site? What about the design view? Does
    it look WYSIWYG or are there menu items all over the place where you can't
    even tell what your web page looks like? Does it include an extension to
    make things easier to update? Does it have a 3 way menu system? Is the
    instruction manual tailored specifically for your problem? How easy is it to
    add another section? What about making tailored sections as opposed to just
    menu item changes to parts of a web site? What about the option to go
    multi-lingual in the future? How about going Multi-Lingual right now? The
    lists goes on and on.....

    What have you got to lose?....try the 60-day evaluation...see the power of
    nested templates.

    dc
    decloak, Inc.
    [url]http://www.decloak.com[/url]

    "GGirlando" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Wow, Murray, what an offer! I just tried to send a zip to you at the
    following address--is this correct?

    > [email]forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com[/email]
    >
    > Glenn

    dc Guest

  4. #4

    Wow, Murray, what an offer! I just tried to send a zip to you at the following address--is this correct?

    GGirlando webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Glenn:

    I got it....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "GGirlando" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Wow, Murray, what an offer! I just tried to send a zip to you at the
    following address--is this correct?

    > [email]forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com[/email]
    >
    > Glenn

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  6. #6

    Wow, Murray, i'm looking forward to hearing more!

    I will be out for the next couple hours, then i'll check back when i can to see what you came up with.

    It will be great if this is squared away--our completion date is getting a little close for comfort, and i've been torn over the last few days over which route to take--nested or not nested.

  7. #7

    Glenn:

    Frankly, I'd use non-nested as a first approximation simply because nested
    gets so complex so quickly.

    Do have a look at decloak's nested template thing. I have and it looks like
    a solid implementation.

    Meanwhile, I'll continue to make time to look at your pages.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Wow, Murray, i'm looking forward to hearing more!
    >
    > I will be out for the next couple hours, then i'll check back when i can
    to see what you came up with.

    > It will be great if this is squared away--our completion date is getting a
    little close for comfort, and i've been torn over the last few days over
    which route to take--nested or not nested.

    > Glenn

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  8. #8

    What!!! Vacation!!!

    Are you allowed to go on vacation?

    Is this group aware of that you are going on vacation? If not, you need to
    let them know about it. You will need to get your co-author to help out
    then, unless that person is also going on vacation.

    dc
    decloak, Inc.
    [url]http://www.decloak.com/[/url]

    [url]http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/Demos/NestedT_Tongues_of_Fire/Default.html[/url]

    > > "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > > > Glenn:
    > > >
    > > > Frankly, I'd use non-nested as a first approximation simply because
    > nested
    > > > gets so complex so quickly.
    > > >
    > > > Do have a look at decloak's nested template thing. I have and it
    looks
    > > like
    > > > a solid implementation.
    > > >
    > > > Meanwhile, I'll continue to make time to look at your pages.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > > > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > > > ==================
    > > > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO
    > GET
    > > > ANSWERS
    > > > ==================
    > > > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > > > ==================
    > > >
    > > > "GGirlando" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message

    > can
    > > > to see what you came up with.

    > getting
    > > > little close for comfort, and i've been torn over the last few days
    over
    > > > which route to take--nested or not nested.

    dc Guest

  9. #9

> [...]

    > > ANSWERS
    > > ==================
    > > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > > ==================
    > >
    > > "GGirlando" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > > > Wow, Murray, i'm looking forward to hearing more!
    > > >
    > > > I will be out for the next couple hours, then i'll check back when i
    can
    > > to see what you came up with.
    > > >
    > > > It will be great if this is squared away--our completion date is
    getting
    > > little close for comfort, and i've been torn over the last few days over
    > > which route to take--nested or not nested.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  10. #10

    8) - I'm not even taking my laptop. My horse doesn't have a grounded plug.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > What!!! Vacation!!!
    >
    > Are you allowed to go on vacation?
    >
    > Is this group aware of that you are going on vacation? If not, you need
    > let them know about it. You will need to get your co-author to help out
    > then, unless that person is also going on vacation.
    >
    > dc
    > decloak, Inc.
    > [url]http://www.decloak.com/[/url]

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  11. #11

    Ok, based your comments below regard the setting of template parameter, I
    have added some additional figures on template parameters. Including some
    TIPS and HINTS on if there are being set correctly.

    This is available on the free download off the web sites. You just click
    for it, no need for e-mail, name, etc....

    [url]http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/EvalDownloads.aspx[/url]

    dc
    [url]http://www.decloak.com/[/url]
    decloak, Inc.
    Tongues of Fire

    dc Guest

  12. #12

    Well, you said something along the lines that that the "pass through" of
    template parameters was very tricky and complex to understand with respect
    to nested templates.

    Accordingly, I added 2 pictures and more detailed explanations regarding
    this, "pass through" of template parameters in the Instruction Manual,
    Chapter IV - Template Parameters.

    There were already several pictures and a table in that same chapter.

    Just wanted to make sure users had some tips and tricks that they could
    easily remember when working with that "pass through" thing.

    dc
    [url]http://www.decloak.com/[/url]
    decloak, Inc.
    Tongues of Fire

> [...]
    > > > from a 10-day jaunt to the horse trails of Montana....
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > > > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > > > ==================
    > > > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO
    > GET
    > > > ANSWERS
    > > > ==================
    > > > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > > > ==================

    dc Guest

  13. #13

    Sounds like a nice trip!

    From where are you going to Montana? Er, that is, where are you from? And would you do me a favor while you're up there and see how Phil Jackson thinks he is going to handle the addition of Gary Payton and Karl Malone to the Lakers! ;-)

    GGirlando webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  14. #14

    Glenn:

    Philadelphia area - it's about a 5 hour flight through Minneapolis....

    I'll give Phila a call as soon as I land! 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Sounds like a nice trip!
    >
    > From where are you going to Montana? Er, that is, where are you from?
    And would you do me a favor while you're up there and see how Phil Jackson
    thinks he is going to handle the addition of Gary Payton and Karl Malone to
    the Lakers! ;-)

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  15. #15

> [...]

    > > > IMO, the multi-lingual ability of Nested Templates (Tongues of Fire)
    can
    > > > only help the Internet and quite possibly bring the complex frontier
    of
    > > web
    > > > sites in multiple foreign languages into the mainstream.
    > > >
    > > > And to think from the beginning, all I really wanted to do was create
    > > easy
    > > > to use and easily manageable navbar for my web site. Handling multiple
    > > > languages was never intended nor even dreamed of.
    > > >
    > > > dc
    > > > [url]http://www.decloak.com/[/url]
    > > > decloak, Inc.
    > > > Tongues of Fire

    [url]http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/Demos/NestedT_Tongues_of_Fire/Default.html[/url]

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  16. #16

    Default Re: One of four similar audio links does not play

    Thanks for your response, farazy.

    When I checked out the link on my other computer, I got a broken icon (QuickTime). That would seem to parallel what you got on Windows.

    What is frustrating to me is that the file plays fine when activated by double clicking.

    Unfortunately, the original file from which it was made has been descarded. It would seem ludicrous to me to make a wav file from the mp3 (which contains the same music), but that appears to be my only option. Either that or just get by with the mp3 version on that paragraph.

    I'll hang for a bit to see if anyone else has an idea.

    GeeRay webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  17. #17

    dc:

    OK - that was not obvious to me from the content of the page.

    Have you read my chapter on passthrough parameters in my book with Brad? I
    have to go back to it each time I think about using these....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

> [...]
    > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > > ==================
    > >
    > > "dc" <dc-re-m-o-v-e-me-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Ok, based your comments below regard the setting of template
    parameter,
    > > > have added some additional figures on template parameters. Including
    > some
    > > > TIPS and HINTS on if there are being set correctly.
    > > >
    > > > This is available on the free download off the web sites. You just
    > click
    > > > for it, no need for e-mail, name, etc....

    [url]http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/EvalDownloads.aspx[/url]

    > > > dc
    > > > [url]http://www.decloak.com/[/url]
    > > > decloak, Inc.
    > > > Tongues of Fire
    > > >

    > > > "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message

    Murray *TMM* Guest