Professional Web Applications Themes

Throttling bandwidth? - Mac Applications & Software

Is there an app or a config setting that I can change, so my iMac running 10.2.6 will limit the speed of it's network connection? I'm getting a T1 feed from a friend, but I don't want to use the whole thing; how can I tell my system only to use a specific amount as a maximum? Dave Hinz...

  1. #1

    Default Throttling bandwidth?

    Is there an app or a config setting that I can change, so my
    iMac running 10.2.6 will limit the speed of it's network connection?

    I'm getting a T1 feed from a friend, but I don't want to use the whole
    thing; how can I tell my system only to use a specific amount as a maximum?

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Throttling bandwidth?

    The only throttle app i could find seems to be in early development, but is worth a look:

    http://www.intrarts.com/throttled.html

    Andrew.

    Andrew Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:37:23 -0400, Andrew A <com> wrote:

    Thanks, I'll take a look.

    Did you know that your long line-lengths make your text wrap strangely,
    by the way?

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    I haven't seen Panther (previews) yet, but I assume Apple will implement
    something like this. As Panther will allow multiple users to be active
    at the same time I suppose Apple will give not only cpu, but also
    network-priority to the front-most user. To accomplish this, they would
    need something that controls the maximum network-speed.

    If Apple doesn't implement this multiple users will be seriously limited
    in my opinion (I do want my downloads to continue in the background, but
    I don't want my wife to complain about a slow connection when she is the
    frontmost user :-) )

    Jaco Guest

  5. #5

    In article <3f6a2d40$0$58716$xs4all.nl>,
    Jaco Schoonen <noway> wrote:

    > I haven't seen Panther (previews) yet, but I assume Apple will implement
    > something like this. As Panther will allow multiple users to be active
    > at the same time I suppose Apple will give not only cpu, but also
    > network-priority to the front-most user. To accomplish this, they would
    > need something that controls the maximum network-speed.
    >
    > If Apple doesn't implement this multiple users will be seriously limited
    > in my opinion (I do want my downloads to continue in the background, but
    > I don't want my wife to complain about a slow connection when she is the
    > frontmost user :-) )[/ref]

    I don't know what's going on under the hood with the user-switching
    feature, but I'd be really surprised if they implemented something like
    this. Especially the CPU priority idea; that would involve messing with
    the Unix kernel at a very low level, changing process-scheduling
    algorithms that have evolved over years.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  6. #6

    Default Re: Throttling bandwidth? (and CPU)

    >>I haven't seen Panther (previews) yet, but I assume Apple will implement
    >>something like this. As Panther will allow multiple users to be active
    >>at the same time I suppose Apple will give not only cpu, but also
    >>network-priority to the front-most user. To accomplish this, they would
    >>need something that controls the maximum network-speed.
    >>
    >>If Apple doesn't implement this multiple users will be seriously limited
    >>in my opinion (I do want my downloads to continue in the background, but
    >>I don't want my wife to complain about a slow connection when she is the
    >>frontmost user :-) )[/ref]
    >

    > I don't know what's going on under the hood with the user-switching
    > feature, but I'd be really surprised if they implemented something like
    > this. Especially the CPU priority idea; that would involve messing with
    > the Unix kernel at a very low level, changing process-scheduling
    > algorithms that have evolved over years.
    >[/ref]

    Would it? I wouldn't call it "messing" with the kernel. It's more like
    "using" the kernel...

    Isn't it as simple as re-"nice"-ing all processes of the user that
    switches to the background? I think the UNIX-scheduler is quite capable
    of this. At least all the UNIX workstations I worked with at the
    university always had higher priority for the person behind the
    keyboard/screen than the persons who were logged in remotely or through
    an X11-session.

    UNIX has evolved quite well over the years, so it's really no big deal
    to deal with CPU priority. I do it myself as well when I want to
    compress large files in the background. Just enter "nice" in front of a
    terminal-command and the process will only consume spare CPU-time. The
    computer will feel fast and responsive like the nice-process isn't
    running at all.

    I can remember that our university the big systems had 3 CPU reserved
    for a specific department, the other 3 CPU's of that system were for
    general use. However when the 3 reserved CPU's were not in use by
    members of the department who reserved them they were available for
    other users. UNIX is quite flexible in it's scheduling you know...

    Jaco Guest