Professional Web Applications Themes

Throwing apps away - OK? - Mac Applications & Software

There are a couple of apps in my Applications folder that I don't want, specifically, Acrobat Reader 5 and Internet Explorer. Will throwing them away have any consequences?...

  1. #1

    Default Throwing apps away - OK?

    There are a couple of apps in my Applications folder that I don't want,
    specifically, Acrobat Reader 5 and Internet Explorer.

    Will throwing them away have any consequences?

    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Throwing apps away - OK?

    > There are a couple of apps in my Applications folder that I don't want,

    Yes, the consequence is that you won't be able to use them anymore.
    Other than that, .pdf's will open in Preview and websites in your
    default browser (which I assume isn't IE). No harm done to the system...

    Oh, you may want to loose ~/Library/Caches/MS Internet Cache
    (There are probably some .plists in ~/Library/Preferences, but they are
    so small that you don't even want to spend time on finding and deleting
    them unless you are a very tidy person)

    Jaco Guest

  3. #3

    In article <3f5f074f$0$10783$easynet.co.uk>,
    "David Glover" <org> wrote:

    Not on the system. You may, however, find yourself needing some feature
    some day that Preview or (preferred browser) don't provide, and then
    you'll be up a creek. I wouldn't toss them until/unless you were
    actually hurting for space. And if you're hurting for space enough to
    benefit by tossing those two apps, you've got bigger problems.

    Gregory Guest

  4. #4

    Gregory Weston <com> wrote:

    > Not on the system. You may, however, find yourself needing some feature
    > some day that Preview or (preferred browser) don't provide, and then
    > you'll be up a creek.[/ref]

    ....like searching a large .pdf for a word or a phrase.
    Why cannot Preview do that?

    --
    vxu.se http://www.masda.vxu.se/~pku/
    Pieter Guest

  5. #5

    Pieter Kuiper <vxu.sweden> writes:

    Preview is not a full-n PDF reader. It's a very simple program
    that appears designed primarily as a way to implement the "print
    preview" facility, with everything else being an afterthough.

    -- David
    David Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:50:02 GMT, David C. <com> wrote:

    Right - I think (guessing but reasonably so) that it's the output of
    "ghostview" - random file format goes in, imagemagic converts it to a
    ..ps format, and viewed using ghostview in what we know as "preview".
    It'd be the unix-y way of doing things (I set something up like that
    several years ago, using just those tools, and it smells like the
    same sort of thing).

    Then again, I could be entirely wrong, but it would match with how
    preview behaves. It isn't searchable by text because that's not what
    the app is for - it's showing you what it'll look like if printed. I
    suppose a creative sort could do something with that...but, with acroread
    being free and all, not sure there's much incentive.

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  7. #7

    Dave Hinz <net> writes:

    I'd be surprised if the internal format was .ps. Probably a
    MacOS-specific metafile format. Perhaps PICT or TIFF or even the
    simplified PDF format that you get from the "save as PDF" button of a
    print dialog.

    But I think you're otherwise correct. At least that's how I'd go
    about writing such a program.

    -- David
    David Guest

  8. #8

    "Pieter Kuiper" <vxu.sweden> wrote in message

    I'm fairly sure Preview in Panther can.

    David Guest

  9. #9

    Jaco Schoonen wrote:

    > Yes, the consequence is that you won't be able to use them anymore.
    > Other than that, .pdf's will open in Preview and websites in your
    > default browser (which I assume isn't IE). No harm done to the system...[/ref]

    Or maybe he's just downloaded Adobe Reader 6, and doesn't want to bother
    with version 5 anymore.

    --
    Dr. Susan Kayser SDSS at FermiLab
    Susan Guest

  10. #10

    David C. wrote:

    > I'd be surprised if the internal format was .ps. Probably a
    > MacOS-specific metafile format. Perhaps PICT or TIFF or even the
    > simplified PDF format that you get from the "save as PDF" button of a
    > print dialog.
    >
    > But I think you're otherwise correct. At least that's how I'd go
    > about writing such a program.
    >
    > -- David
    >[/ref]

    Or perhaps it uses the screen imaging model of MacOS X.... which is... PDF.
    In other words, the internal form *IS* PDF.

    See: http://www.apple.com/scitech/imaging/macosx/

    - David (Different from the David and Dave above)
    David Guest

  11. #11

    David Hutchens writes:
    >> "preview".
    >>
    >> I'd be surprised if the internal format was .ps. Probably a
    >> MacOS-specific metafile format. Perhaps PICT or TIFF or even the
    >> simplified PDF format that you get from the "save as PDF" button of a
    >> print dialog.
    >>
    >> But I think you're otherwise correct. At least that's how I'd go
    >> about writing such a program.[/ref]
    >
    > Or perhaps it uses the screen imaging model of MacOS X.... which is... PDF.
    > In other words, the internal form *IS* PDF.
    >
    > See: http://www.apple.com/scitech/imaging/macosx/[/ref]

    This is what I was referring to when I said "the simplified PDF
    format".

    I'm pretty sure that Apple's internally generated PDF does not make
    use of all of the PDF spec's features. It's worth noting that
    MacOS-generated PDFs are significantly larger than PDFs created by
    Adobe's products. (Download a PDF, preview it, print the result
    to a PDF, and compare the file sizes)

    I just did it with Apple's "G5 white paper":
    http://www.apple.com/g5processor/pdf/G5_Processor_WP_072903.pdf

    The original file downloaded is 540K. If I load it into Preview and
    have it print to PDF, the result is 824K (53% bigger). I assume that
    "print to PDF" simply take the internal form and writes it out to
    disk, with some headers to make it syntactically correct.

    (Incidentally, If I load it into the Acrobat Reader and have it print
    to PDF, the result is 3.3M. It appears to render all the text and
    line art into bitmaps prior to printing. If I use Preview and magnify
    the generated PDFs several times, the one from Preview has smooth
    edges around the text, but the one generated by Acrobat Reader has
    jagged edges.)

    -- David
    David Guest

  12. #12

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 19:04:25 -0500, David Hutchens <millersville.edu> wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    > Or perhaps it uses the screen imaging model of MacOS X.... which is... PDF.
    > In other words, the internal form *IS* PDF.[/ref]

    I didn't know that. That's pretty cool, thanks for the info.

    ....and the link.

    Gotta watch out for those Dave and David types, I tell ya.

    Dave "I would know" Hinz

    Dave Guest