Professional Web Applications Themes

TiBook video weirdness - Mac Portable

Greets - TiBook 867, after running for several hours, begins to throw static onto the screen in varying degrees of intensity. I can remove the static by pressing on the front-right edge of the computer -- about where the cd-rom sits. Further, I can pretty well eliminate the problem by placing something underneath that corner, propping the computer slightly. At the moment I've got a staple remover under there. Seems to me that heat is causing some kind of connection to loosen -- this based on the fact that the computer has to run for awhile to act up (the ...

  1. #1

    Default TiBook video weirdness

    Greets -

    TiBook 867, after running for several hours, begins to throw static
    onto the screen in varying degrees of intensity. I can remove the
    static by pressing on the front-right edge of the computer -- about
    where the cd-rom sits. Further, I can pretty well eliminate the
    problem by placing something underneath that corner, propping the
    computer slightly. At the moment I've got a staple remover under
    there.

    Seems to me that heat is causing some kind of connection to loosen --
    this based on the fact that the computer has to run for awhile to act
    up (the heat) and that I can resolve the issue by pressing on the case
    (the looseness). Anybody else experience this? Presumably I've got to
    take it to the shop for hardware repair, but thought I'd throw it out
    here first....

    Muchos gracias,
    Zeph Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: TiBook video weirdness

    Zeph <zephnospam.nowhere.net> wrote:
    > Greets -
    >
    > TiBook 867, after running for several hours, begins to throw static
    > onto the screen in varying degrees of intensity. I can remove the
    > static by pressing on the front-right edge of the computer -- about
    > where the cd-rom sits. Further, I can pretty well eliminate the
    > problem by placing something underneath that corner, propping the
    > computer slightly. At the moment I've got a staple remover under
    > there.
    >
    > Seems to me that heat is causing some kind of connection to loosen --
    > this based on the fact that the computer has to run for awhile to act
    > up (the heat) and that I can resolve the issue by pressing on the case
    > (the looseness). Anybody else experience this? Presumably I've got to
    > take it to the shop for hardware repair, but thought I'd throw it out
    > here first....
    >
    > Muchos gracias,
    I would suspect a broken conductor in one of the video ribbon circuits.
    They are encased in mylar and if the conductor breaks will usually
    remain in contact unless heated or moved. Just a guess. Did you see if
    it occurs in an external monitor?

    --
    Paul Fuchs
    paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net

  3. #3

    In article <1g0d5kn.1md4l6u5aqq2oN%oink>, Paul
    Fuchs <oink> wrote:

    > I would suspect a broken conductor in one of the video ribbon circuits.
    > They are encased in mylar and if the conductor breaks will usually
    > remain in contact unless heated or moved. Just a guess. Did you see if
    > it occurs in an external monitor?[/ref]

    No problem in an external monitor, which I regularly have plugged in.
    I can use the computer for about six hours at the office, after which
    the LCD will begin to go wonky, while the CRT continue to provide good
    viewing.

    Zeph Guest