Professional Web Applications Themes

Timed out trying to establish connection - Coldfusion Database Access

cool! i will give that a try next time it happens. we try to restart the service through the services console on windows but even the service hangs up when you stop it. VERY frustrating! maybe this will work better! thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Timed out trying to establish connection

    cool! i will give that a try next time it happens. we try to restart the
    service through the services console on windows but even the service hangs up
    when you stop it. VERY frustrating! maybe this will work better!

    thanks!

    ladybug Guest

  2. #2

    I have had a problem stopping the server from the services console and
    executing this code forced the stop and start so I didn't have to reboot the
    server.
    Let me know if you find anything on the forums in response to our problem that
    quite a few people seem to be having.
    Thanks!

    webdr7 Guest

  3. #3

    Hi,
    sorry for my english. Is very bad.

    We have the same issue in our Win2003 server and CFMX 7. Before, in CFMX 6.1,
    the problem was the same too.
    Would be CF 6 the solution? We are thinking about this posibility...

    Oh...Macromedia...we are you???????????

    Juven

    JuvenTF Guest

  5. #5

    No kidding, I have not touched my box or code and I'm getting

    Connection verification failed for data source: ENROLL
    []java.sql.SQLException: Timed out trying to establish connection
    The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: Timed out trying to establish
    connection

    I'm running 6.1 and my entire site is down now due to this issue that there
    seems to be no fix for. ARGH.

    Scooby Doobie Doo Guest

  6. #6

    This is pretty nuts. I have two CF servers running on different boxes both of
    them are Version: 6,1,0,63958. Recetly one of my servers has been misbehaving
    and atleast once to a day I am getting this error:

    "java.sql.SQLException: Timed out trying to establish connection at
    coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.JDBCPool.requestCo nnection"

    Once this happens I have to restart the CF MX ODBC Server which hangs but
    finally stops after about 5 minutes. Is there any news from Macromedia about
    comming up with a fix? Is the MX 6.1 build I am running the most current (i.e
    with the supposed fixes)? This is pretty annoying. Aarrrrrgggh!!

    wadudu Guest

  7. #7

    How did you set up this file to fire when the service goes down?

    <cfset cfAdmin=createObject("component", "cfide.adminapi.administrator")>
    <cfset isLoggedIn=cfAdmin.login("YOUR CF ADMIN PASSWORD HERE")>

    <cfset setDSN=createObject("component","CFIDE.adminapi.da tasource")>
    <cfinvoke component="#setDSN#" method="stopOdbcService">

    <cfinvoke component="#setDSN#" method="startOdbcService">

    ICND Guest

  8. #8

    Do you really want to have to kill your ODBC connections? What about other
    users on the site, they'll have to relogin and lose all their settings each
    time, this doesn't seem like a viable solution to me.

    Scooby Doobie Doo Guest

  9. #9

    You have to stop and restart the ODBC service killing all ODBC connections.
    When the service hangs all the sites go down that are using the ODBC driver so
    the service is useless until restared anyway. Would be nice if we could get
    some kind of response from Macromedia since there are so many people having
    this problem with 7.0

    webdr7 Guest

  10. #10

    I have a script running on another server that does an http request every few
    minutes to see if the website it up and running. If it is not I send another
    http request to the script that has the code I posted to stop and restart the
    ODBC service which ends up getting things back up and running everytime.
    Problem is when it happens the sites are still down for a minute or 2 while the
    stop and start happens. The problem is very intermittent and the logs show
    nothing so this is very difficult to try to find a permanent solution for.

    webdr7 Guest

  11. #11

    Default Timed out trying to establish connection

    It appears that I am connecting to MySQL (following Matts directions) now I
    receive this

    Connection verification failed for data source: cucar.DSN
    []java.sql.SQLException: Timed out trying to establish connection
    The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: Timed out trying to establish
    connection

    This is my JDBC URL

    jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/cucar

    Thanks

    ChuckInAtl Guest

  12. #12

    > It appears that I am connecting to MySQL (following Matts directions) now
    > receive this
    >
    > Connection verification failed for data source: cucar.DSN
    > []java.sql.SQLException: Timed out trying to establish connection
    > The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: Timed out trying to
    establish
    > connection
    >
    > This is my JDBC URL
    >
    > jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/cucar
    Check to see if the connection is allowed from from the firewall.

    --
    <mack />

    Neculai Macarie Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks for the reply..

    I saw in previous post NOT to have the firewall up, so I don't...???

    Chuck

    ChuckInAtl Guest

  14. #14

    Can you share the script that does an http request every few minutes to see if the website it up and running? Thanks.
    Jackiex Guest

  15. #15

    <cftry>
    <cfhttp url="http://www.YourWebsite.com" method="GET">
    <cfcatch>
    Run the code you want to run if the site throws an error here............
    </cfcatch>
    </cftry>

    webdr7 Guest

  16. #16

    We have recently been getting the "Error Executing Database Query.Timed out
    trying to establish connection." error on our MS access database web sites.
    This error does not occur on any of our SQL database sites. We found a fix on
    the Cold Fusion web site that was supposed to take care of this and we
    installed it. It seemed to work for a couple of weeks but now we are
    experiencing the issue more frequently than before. I cannot seem to find
    anywhere on the Support forums a definite fix. Please help as this is now
    effecting my business in a big way. I have tried to stop and restart the Cold
    Fusion ODBC service but it locks up when I do so and then I need to reboot my
    server. It seems that a server reboot is the only way to get the ODBC error to
    go away but it happens quite frequently now and I am getting frustrated with
    it. we are running Cold Fusion MX 6.1 on a Windows 2003 server.

    flux3000 Guest

  17. #17

    We have recently been getting the "Error Executing Database Query.Timed
    out trying to establish connection." error on our MS access database web
    sites.

    Well, you may have run into the limitation of using MS access in a
    production environment. Not a recommended practice. Can you migrate
    your access to your SQL DBMS?
    Ian Guest

  18. #18

    Not sure what you mean by reaching the limitation of using MS Access in a
    production environment because we have been using Access for almost 10 years
    with Cold Fusion and never had a problem until recently. We have been running
    CFMX 6.1 for at least 2 years now with no problems at all then all of a sudden
    we are having this issue. Why did this suddenly start to occur?

    flux3000 Guest

  19. #19

    Not sure what you mean by reaching the limitation of using MS Access in
    a production environment because we have been using Access for almost 10
    years with Cold Fusion and never had a problem until recently. We have
    been running CFMX 6.1 for at least 2 years now with no problems at all
    then all of a sudden we are having this issue. Why did this suddenly
    start to occur?

    I mean that both Microsoft and Adobe|Macromedia|Allair do not recommend
    using Access in a production - distributed application AKA a web
    application. It is not built and optimized for this. Many people do,
    but when you do you need to be aware of its limitations.

    A big limitation is that Access can only handle 10 concurrent users.
    Has the load of your application grown so that more then 10 users are
    trying to access it at the same time? Have you coded your application
    to limit the number of users accessing the db at any given time.

    Another limitation is that the Access MDB file is completely locked when
    opened for editing. Has somebody left the file in a locked state?

    Access has a relatively small max size. 2MB I believe. Has your data
    grown beyond this limit.

    Are you using the latest DB drivers for access in ColdFusion? There was
    some problems with using the older Access drivers in the newest version
    of CF IIRC. I believe it is now recommended to use the Unicode access
    drivers.

    Those are a few of the possible issues I can come up with off the top of
    my head. Unfortunately I really stopped using Access as a web
    application data source about 6 years ago, so I am not up on the latest
    wrinkles.
    Ian Guest

  20. #20

    none of the cases you described are the case with my issue. I am running
    several web sites using MS Access and have been for quite some time. I recently
    ran the update as desrcibed here
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=e917887 and it seemed
    to fix it for a couple of weeks but then the problem started happening again.

    Also I tried switching to Access using Unicode and now I get the following
    error message

    Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or
    opened exclusively by another user.

    I am not sure how to fix that.

    Thanks for your time.

    flux3000 Guest