Professional Web Applications Themes

Timeouts and Memory Leaks - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Hello all. I have a rather large and rather active website that continues to grow. It is an ASP site that uses MS SQL Server. As it continues to grow, I am starting to have more and more problems with the site causing the following error: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Timeout expired I feel this has to do with poor garbage collecting (which I am notorious for), which leads to memory leaks. The reason I feel this is because when I reboot the server, it can go for about 24 hours or a little more before causing ...

  1. #1

    Default Timeouts and Memory Leaks

    Hello all.

    I have a rather large and rather active website that continues to grow. It
    is an ASP site that uses MS SQL Server. As it continues to grow, I am
    starting to have more and more problems with the site causing the following
    error:

    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
    Timeout expired

    I feel this has to do with poor garbage collecting (which I am notorious
    for), which leads to memory leaks. The reason I feel this is because when I
    reboot the server, it can go for about 24 hours or a little more before
    causing one timeout error. Then, all of the sudden, I can get over 100
    timeouts within the span of the next 24 hours.

    So, my question is, where is a good place to start to diagnose the source of
    my problem? I am not very up to speed on various diagnosing practices (such
    as SQL Profiler, etc).

    So any suggestions or links/guides you can point me to to help me figure out
    what I'm doing wrong, it would be very much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Jerad

    Jerad Rose Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Timeouts and Memory Leaks

    Timeouts don't necessarily mean memory leaks. They probably mean the db and
    or code used to access it has not been optimized. It could be lots of
    things and you will have to narrow down the issues before you can start to
    address the problem. I would start by monitoring with Perfmon the cpu, avg
    and current disk queues etc to make sure you don't have bottlenecks there,
    especially when you are getting these timeouts. You should also monitor
    blocking and you can start by using sp_who2 run occasionally. And running a
    profiler trace would be a good way to see what is happening int he system
    and how long each is taking and how much I/O , CPU they are using. Each of
    these tools will help to pinpoint the area you should look deeper into.
    These may help:

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/administration/2000/perftuning.asp[/url]
    Performance WP's
    [url]http://www.swynk.com/friends/vandenberg/perfmonitor.asp[/url] Perfmon counters
    [url]http://www.sql-server-performance.com/sql_server_performance_audit.asp[/url]
    Hardware Performance CheckList
    [url]http://www.sql-server-performance.com/best_sql_server_performance_tips.asp[/url]
    SQL 2000 Performance tuning tips
    [url]http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=q224587[/url] Troubleshooting App
    Performance
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/adminsql/ad_perfmon_24u1.asp[/url]
    Disk Monitoring

    --

    Andrew J. Kelly
    SQL Server MVP

    "Jerad Rose" <jeradrcorvusdigital.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I have a rather large and rather active website that continues to grow.
    It
    > is an ASP site that uses MS SQL Server. As it continues to grow, I am
    > starting to have more and more problems with the site causing the
    following
    > error:
    >
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
    > Timeout expired
    >
    > I feel this has to do with poor garbage collecting (which I am notorious
    > for), which leads to memory leaks. The reason I feel this is because when
    > reboot the server, it can go for about 24 hours or a little more before
    > causing one timeout error. Then, all of the sudden, I can get over 100
    > timeouts within the span of the next 24 hours.
    >
    > So, my question is, where is a good place to start to diagnose the source
    of
    > my problem? I am not very up to speed on various diagnosing practices
    (such
    > as SQL Profiler, etc).
    >
    > So any suggestions or links/guides you can point me to to help me figure
    out
    > what I'm doing wrong, it would be very much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Jerad

    Andrew J. Kelly Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks so much for your quick reply Andrew. I'll dive into these links and
    take a look.

    The only reason I mentioned memory leak was because the site can go 24 or
    more hours after a reboot without one timeout error, and then seemingly all
    of the sudden, timeout errors will occur until I reboot again. And the
    frequency increases as time goes on. That just seems to me like the
    symptoms of a memory leak. I mean, if I were getting the errors immediately
    after a reboot, then I could understand there being problems with code
    and/or database optimization. But since it seems to run flawlessly for a
    day after a reboot seems to indicate a memory leak.

    Thanks again for the time you took to respond.

    Jerad

    Jerad Rose Guest