Professional Web Applications Themes

Tips For Photos on the Web - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Before scanning several photos to be put on the web I would appreciate some guidance. I plan to scan at 640 x 480 pixel and then using 'save for the web' compress to JEPG either medium or low. There will be a maximum of 200 images grouped in 4 classifications. Thumbnails will be incorporated and when clicked a larger image will appear on the screen. Questions: Are 200 images too many which will create too long a delay opening site? Is 640 x 480 an appropriate scan? As you can tell I do not have web experience and any tips ...

  1. #1

    Default Tips For Photos on the Web

    Before scanning several photos to be put on the web I would appreciate some guidance.

    I plan to scan at 640 x 480 pixel and then using 'save for the web' compress to JEPG either medium or low.

    There will be a maximum of 200 images grouped in 4 classifications.

    Thumbnails will be incorporated and when clicked a larger image will appear on the screen.

    Questions:
    Are 200 images too many which will create too long a delay opening site?

    Is 640 x 480 an appropriate scan?

    As you can tell I do not have web experience and any tips would be helpful.

    Robert
    J_Robert_Ward@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tips For Photos on the Web

    When I read your post, more questions than answers come to mind! Starting with, "Who's your audience?"

    My internet connection and computer aren't state of the art, but they're probably both faster than what the average user has. I doubt I'd have the patience to sit and wait for 200 thumbnails to load or - assuming the classifications are equal in size - even 50. I'd have to be mighty commited to seeing what you've posted.

    The physical size of the images sounds OK to cover a range of monitor resolutions.

    Is there a way you can break this project into smaller chunks to minimize the download time for given groups of pictures?

    And, Save for Web will do a nice job of resizing the large images, but how are you going to create the thumbnails and then link them? Have you played with the Web Photo Gallery, which generates thumbnails and larger images that are already linked? You can choose your own size for both , and the images are customized for web viewing.

    And I also think about 200 scans. Are these pictures small enough so you could scan them in groups and then let Elements do the resizing?
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Beth

    Thanks for your reply.

    You have given me more food for thought.

  4. #4

    I did not count the images, but I suppose there are several hundreds on my website.
    It is just a matter of not showing all images on one page, but to split it up into several subgroups.

    To give an idea, click on my name in the header of this message and you will see my URL.

    Leen
    Leen_Koper@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Robert-

    I don't claim to be the greatest expert, but have played with my website considerably in the past couple of years.

    I think the content and size of your home page (index page)is the determining factor in how long it will take for someone's computer to open up your web site. You can design that page with links- thumbnails or other, that will lead to other segments of your entire web site.

    As to photos, the idea is to downsize each final jpeg to the lowest practical size to give a clear picture, without loading up the kb's; e.g. target the optimum monitor resolution of 72 pixels per inch, or perhaps 96 pixels per inch for a bit better screen quality. Final size of a substantial picture might typically be 35 or 40 kb's resulting in a reasonable download time. You can show each enlarged picture in full page size with it's own page, said page containing links back to other locations on the web site.

    Are you using an editing program to create web pages? The web pages are written in the language of html, which has a complicated learning curve, but many programs write the html content for you, eliminating the need to learn it. For example Netscape offers a free program called Composer that will do it. More and more programs today write pages in html. I recently acquired Word Perfect 11 with my new computer, and it goes a long way in writing html pages (Pages suitable for displaying on the web).

    Beth's suggestion of breaking the entire website into many chunks, with links to each, sounds like the way to go to keep the download time of each page or segment to a minimum.

    Al
    Al_Millstein@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I just looked at your site, Leen. When I went through the Gallery area, it looked as though you had a total of 71 images on nine pages. Each page of thumbnails loaded very quickly, so an arrangement like this works very nicely for someone like me. (And they're very nice pictures, too, I should add!)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Robert-

    Also learn about using Tables for web page design. Keeps the layout of pages under ocntrol.

    See mine at empirejournal.com

    Al
    Al_Millstein@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    So that visitor was you, Beth....
    Just kidding, you were one of the 10.700 visitors this year. ;-)

    But there are more images than just only 71. A quick count learnt me there are a little over 400 in various gallerys and each gallery has several pages of 8 images each.

    Thanks for the compliment. Sometimes words like these make your day - and today I needed it badly. Just one of those days.

  9. #9

    I am a bit confused. What would ppi have to do with screen
    display? I thought that would only come into play if the images
    were printed. I have posted 4 pictures that are identical except
    for the ppi. They are at 72ppi, 180ppi, 300ppi and 1000ppi. I can
    see no difference in display or file size.
    http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview/elements_group_test_
    Am I missing something?

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Hi Leen - I checked your site out too. :) It is a wonderful site, fast loading and great pictures! I enjoyed it and thanks for sharing.

    Hi Al - I checked your site. Definitely Adobe Page Mill seems to be a good html editor although I've not tried it. Good site - just one comment - the index page doesn't have any title. I've never been to Empire Michigan, but it looks like a great place. I did stay one summer at Saginaw Bay/Lake Heron.

    Robert, pictures for the Internet... Thumbnails 100 x 100 72 dpi. Full size pictures can be any width and height but total size should not be more than 50kb and use 72 dpi for the Internet. This is the general rule if your target audience uses dial-up. The loading time should not be more than 30 seconds for dial-up users. This is only a guideline, but saves a lot of frustration for dial-up users if you keep these guidelines in mind. Also splitting the number of thumbnails per page and showing the large picture on a separate page as already suggested is the good and necessary if you keep the loading page to under 30 secs.

    beth
    bethC@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Hello Beth. Would you be so kind as to respond to my post earlier
    in this thread with the questions to Mr. Millstein. I see your
    recommendation for 72 dpi here, are you using dpi and ppi
    interchangeably? Based on my experiment shown in earlier post I
    do not see the difference. Thanks.

    <com> wrote in message
    site, fast loading and great pictures! I enjoyed it and thanks
    for sharing.
    to be a good html editor although I've not tried it. Good site -
    just one comment - the index page doesn't have any title. I've
    never been to Empire Michigan, but it looks like a great place. I
    did stay one summer at Saginaw Bay/Lake Heron.
    dpi. Full size pictures can be any width and height but total
    size should not be more than 50kb and use 72 dpi for the
    Internet. This is the general rule if your target audience uses
    dial-up. The loading time should not be more than 30 sections for

  12. #12

    James: Yeah, dpi/ppi has no meaning to a web browser. All it cares about it is x pixels wide by y pixels high.

    Awesome photos, Al.
    Lou_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    That is what I thought. Why are other posters recommending the OP
    use 72-96 ppi or 72 dpi?

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

  14. #14

    James,

    There have been very exhaustive discussions about 72ppi on this forum. A
    recent thread is here:
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?GwZNbdQpCwY.3.2ccdef87/0
    Check it out and you will see that the ppi number is irrelevant for the
    monitor display.
    Also, look at this article: http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

    Juergen

    Juergen_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    James,

    There are still many individuals who have not learned that dpi is
    meaningless when displaying an image on a monitor. The 72/96-ers are simply
    repeating what they've been told is a basic fact. They just haven't been
    given enough information, yet, to understand the truth.

    We disciples of Adobe, though, have had the scales fall from our eyes, and
    are enlightened with regard to the myth of dpi on a monitor.

    You say that you, yourself, have proved the point. What more evidence do
    you need?

    (BTW, when following the link to your dpi-variation example, Pbase responds
    "Non-existent gallery specified in URL. Displaying myeyesview's root
    gallery.")

    Byron

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Thanks for the info. Why is the 72 ppi myth still being
    perpetuated in this newsgroup? Was there no
    consensus on the matter?
    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)
    http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
    <com> wrote in message
    forum. A
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?GwZNbdQpCwY.3.2ccdef87/0
    for the

  17. #17

    <com> wrote in message

    evidence do

    I do not think I said that. I believe I said that I did not see a
    difference. My point was that I did not think it mattered at all
    and if it did I wanted to know how or why. If it didn't, I had
    hoped to help the posters to see that without being argumentative
    or offensive to them.

    Pbase responds
    root

    The link worked for me. I will try again.
    http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview/elements_group_test_
    If it displays the root gallery again just click on the last
    gallery shown.

    Thanks,
    James

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    James, could you please turn off auto quote? I've been having a really hard time following these posts because of all the repeated messages, with responses sometimes buried in the middle and sometimes not! Thank you! :)

    In response to your questions about the value of 72ppi, I , too, think that information is somewhat dated, now that there is such a wide range of monitor types, resolutions, software options, etc. However, on the other hand, it's often quite a useful "rule of thumb" for people brand new to digital imaging and web site work. Maintaining a resolution of 72ppi may not be necessary, but it doesn't do any harm, either. It's like quite a bit of the information handed out on the forum - conservative so the newcomers can produce acceptable results right away. Once people learn the ins and outs of something, they often customize to suit their own tastes and workflow.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    For an Outlook express user what auto quote be the equivalent of
    "include message in reply"?

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

  20. #20

    James,

    <com> wrote

    My apologies for characterizing your remarks. I should have said *I* think
    you have proved it for yourself.

    No difference in the behavior of that link. I click it, and end up at "all
    galleries" page. Success when I click on the last gallery thumb, though.

    Byron

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast