Professional Web Applications Themes

TMP*.htm files are a nuisance! - Macromedia Dreamweaver

TMP files are generated when you use Preview in Browser. To turn them off in MX, just go to Edit > Preferences > Preview in Browser and uncheck 'Preview using Temporary File'. That will turn off using TMP files and instead use the original file when you do a preview. I hope this helps. -- Best regards, Mike M Macromedia Technical Support Dreamweaver UltraDev / MX Search the Support Site - [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/ultradev/[/url] [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/[/url] Macromedia Newsgroups - [url]http://webforums.macromedia.com/dreamweaverultradev/[/url] [url]http://webforums.macromedia.com/dreamweaver/[/url] "ubu" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message news:bf12v3$pn1$1forums.macromedia.com... > Hi, Lately Dreamweaver seems to be creating temporary files that always start their file names ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: TMP*.htm files are a nuisance!

    --

    Best regards,

    Mike M
    Macromedia Technical Support
    Dreamweaver UltraDev / MX

    Search the Support Site -
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/ultradev/[/url]
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/[/url]

    Macromedia Newsgroups -
    [url]http://webforums.macromedia.com/dreamweaverultradev/[/url]
    [url]http://webforums.macromedia.com/dreamweaver/[/url]

    "ubu" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, Lately Dreamweaver seems to be creating temporary files that always
    start their file names with TMP followed by a random looking string of
    characters and a .htm extension. I would think that DW would remove these
    right away but they are lingering and when I use my FTP client to upload
    (the server admins will not accommodate DW's version control files) I have
    to stop them from uploading. Yes, I could change my scripts but I thought
    I'd ask if there was someway to get DW to remove them automatically. It
    should do that anyway, right?

    MMontero - MMTS Guest

  2. #2

    Yes, but the temp files are useful because they allow you to check your changes without commiting. With TMP file turned off one has to save first and then undo if the changes don't have the desired effect. Should DW automatically delete the temp files once the page is saved or closed? Tge problem I'm haveing is the DW is not deleting the TMP files.

    Steve ubu

    ubu webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Josh Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    Sorry, that .tmp should've been TMP*.htm

    Josh Guest

  5. #5

    Ok, I will try that. But since the tmp files are in the same directory as the originals it shouldn't be that taxing to check for them and delete when closing or saving a file.

    ubu webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    What platform?

    What version of Dreamweaver?

    if dw4.0, get the updater to 4.01 from the support pages. It was a known
    problem in 4.0

    Is dreamweaver crashing often? That can leave the TMP files not cleaned up.
    > Ok, I will try that. But since the tmp files are in the same directory as the
    > originals it shouldn't be that taxing to check for them and delete when
    > closing or saving a file.

    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest

  7. #7

    In article <bf1hat$mj8$1forums.macromedia.com> , Josh
    <josh.johnsonNOSPAMsun.com> wrote:
    > That's probably why DW only does a check for them when
    > it's shutting down, and should delete them then.
    That is what DW is *supposed* to do. But it sometimes fails to delete the
    TMP files when closing. This has been a bug since at least DW2.
    Unfortunately, on the Mac at least, now the TMP files are set to be
    invisible, so you have to go to some trouble to find and delete them. The
    workaround for this bug is never use F12 or check the Preferences items
    which says, in effect, "Don't use a temporary page to preview."

    -- James M. Shook
    [url]http://www.jshook.com[/url]

    James M. Shook Guest