Professional Web Applications Themes

To crop perfectly - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hello all, I am having trouble cropping my scanned photo's, so that I can get perfectly sized 8x10's 5x7's 3 1/2 x 5's and etc. Is there a mathmatically formula that I am not aware of for cropping? I am using Photoshop Elements. Thanks, Denise...

  1. #1

    Default To crop perfectly

    Denise_Hoehns@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: To crop perfectly

    There's no need for any magical formulas to accomplish this. After you have selected the crop tool, you will have a couple of dialog boxes near the top of your screen where you can enter the dimensions for your picture. I usually put "8 in" & "10 in" in the appropriate boxes, and then I set the resolution at 200 or 300. Then when I crop the image Elements will automatically size as I have specified.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Another way to crop, which some of us prefer, is to use the Rectangular Marquee Tool. The Crop Tool also has an option for setting resolution. For me it's just one more thing I have to remember to check before using the tool, so I stay away from it. The Rectangular Marquee tool doesn't effect the resolution setting of your image at all.

    To crop to a specific size using Rectangular Marquee, select the tool, and then in the Option Bar choose Fixed Size and set your dimensions. Once you click on your image, you'll get the marching ants in a perfect 4 x 6, 5 x 7, etc. You can slide them around until you've got them surrounding the area you want to keep. Then go to Image>Crop.

    Just another way to accomplish the same thing, but some people like one way better than the other.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Whatever. I'm sorry, but I just don't get your rationale for using the marquee tool. Furthermore, I really don't care. I get the results I'm looking for from my method and I'm going to keep using it. You talk of one more thing to have to remember, but the way my workflow is designed I have to remember more things using your crop method than I do using mine.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Beth, It's always nice to have more than one way to
    achieve an objective.

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thank you for understanding the point of my post. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I'll second Beth's motion on using the Rectangular Marquee tool for cropping
    as an alternative to the Crop tool. My biggest beef with the Crop tool is
    that it surreptitiously (!) resamples the image whenever you put in a height
    or width in inches and/or a resolution. I like more control over my final
    image properties, so I crop using the Rectangular Marquee tool at either
    Normal or Fixed Aspect Ratio settings, then use the Image>Resize>Image Size
    dialog to set inch dimensions and desired resolution. Any resampling will
    be my choice in the latter dialog.

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Jim,

    There are as many ways to accomplish something in the program as there are personalities, so happily...one can lock onto the particular method which one favors. Right or wrong are not key words here, what works best for you is absolutely the way you should keep working. Beth's post was to give forum members one of the alternative cropping methods. I think knowing one's options is a good thing and what suits one person will not another, as you just professed.

    On another topic...
    I don't think I have seen a Challenge from you, are you interested? The more participants the more the variety.

    Nancy
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Well, Beth, I liked your method and thank you for the tip.

    <com> wrote in message

    Michael Guest

  10. #10

    Being somewhat of a beginner, I try things several, yes, several different ways, then I choose the best result.
    I watch how everybody does a function here, and follow their instructions. This is a wonderful versitile program, and I sure enjoy playing with all the options. The more the merrier, and learning fast and loving it,,,,,,,thanks to you all,
    Jane
    Jane_Carter@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    It sounds as if I have been challenged to either put up or shut up. My photography is rather boring. And since I really have nothing to contribute in that way, I will now graciously fade away into cyberspace. Goodbye all.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Jim,

    "Put up or shut up"????? Where did you get that? I've never interpreted
    anyone's post that way - nor any other sort of ultimatum.

    I hope you'll re-read the posts in the thread because I truly believe there
    must be a misunderstanding.

    Byron

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Hello Jim, I didn't read it that way either. If any of this is
    directed towards me I only meant that we are all here to learn
    and share any knowledge we may have. I am glad I have 3 top notch
    programs to use and between the 3 at least 4-6 ways to accomplish
    any task.

    A quote from another newsgroup:
    The real art of conversation is not only
    to say the right thing at
    the right time, but also to leave unsaid
    the wrong thing at the
    tempting moment. (Dorothy Nevill)

  14. #14

    This is the same person who began a thread a week or so ago with the sentence copied below. I don't really think it was anything said in this thread that generated his final post. Rather, perhaps, all that wasn't said.

    "I have decided that it is time to start a major debate that will show a lot of disagreement among us."

    ?
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Jim, no one is asking you to put up or shut up. We're all simply exchanging
    information and trying to learn the program. I'm sorry you've chosen to take
    offense at the constructive exchange, but, yes, goodbye.

  16. #16

    Beth - I'm back. I tried the marquee tool and got the ants marching around
    in various dimensions, but when I try to slide them around, I get a screen
    full of strange lines. I can't get the boundary box to move. Any
    suggestions?

    <com> wrote in message
    Marquee Tool. The Crop Tool also has an option for setting resolution. For
    me it's just one more thing I have to remember to check before using the
    tool, so I stay away from it. The Rectangular Marquee tool doesn't effect
    the resolution setting of your image at all.
    then in the Option Bar choose Fixed Size and set your dimensions. Once you
    click on your image, you'll get the marching ants in a perfect 4 x 6, 5 x 7,
    etc. You can slide them around until you've got them surrounding the area
    you want to keep. Then go to Image>Crop.
    way better than the other.

    Michael Guest

  17. #17

    Beth Said:
    Rather, perhaps, all that wasn't said.

    James Replies:
    The art of conversation....etc......etc.....
    You are so right Beth.

  18. #18

    Jim,

    I apologize if I have offended you in some way, it was certainly not my intention, nor was I criticising you. Perhaps my writting skills are sadly lacking in being able to convey my thoughts. You obviously feel hurt and I would like to try to make you feel welcome here, which you are. I, for one, will miss your presence here if you don't return. Tomorrow, I hope things will look better to you.

    The "Challenge" I mentioned, is this one...

    <http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Present/index.html>

    It doesn't require photographs. This is the weekly thing where an image is posted and one may edit it as desired. Some people, like myself, sometimes incorporate images from the internet or some of my own on CD, but it is not a requirement. I can't draw :( ---so I often use photos. But just changing lighting, coloration, perspective or anything you can imagine is entirely permissible. I have had a lot of fun working on one each week and it improves my skills. Seeing what everyone else has done is often inspiring. Anyone can ask the creator how they accomplished a certain "look" and a reply will ensue. I hope you think about it. (there is also the "Photo" thingy going on, but my mention was of the Challenge at the above link)