Professional Web Applications Themes

To journal or not to journal? - Mac Applications & Software

  1. #1

    Default Re: To journal or not to journal?

    >So my personal experience is that it's a good thing. The speed hit
    >seems pretty minor, considering the improvement to the integrity of
    >your data.
    I have thought about journaling, but am concerned about the speed hit and when
    it would occur. Only when you save a file? How about opening a pkg? Or viewing
    a web page with umpteen hundred files?

    What comes to mind that scares me off journaling is the amount of time it takes
    to index for content in OS 9, which may be a different thing entirely.
    GrapeApe Guest

  2. #2

    In article <20030629104648.00862.00001923mb-m18.aol.com>, GrapeApe
    <grapeapeaol.comjunk> wrote:
    > >So my personal experience is that it's a good thing. The speed hit
    > >seems pretty minor, considering the improvement to the integrity of
    > >your data.
    >
    > I have thought about journaling, but am concerned about the speed hit and when
    > it would occur. Only when you save a file? How about opening a pkg? Or viewing
    > a web page with umpteen hundred files?
    Journaling only affects writes. So yes, saving a file to a journaled
    disk is slightly slower. And you don't want your Photoshop scratch
    disk on a journaled volume. %)

    --
    Jerry Kindall, Seattle, WA [url]http://www.jerrykindall.com/[/url]

    If replying to this message by e-mail, send plain text only.
    Replies with files or HTML will be deleted by my spam filters.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  3. #3

    [email]grapeapeaol.comj[/email]unk (GrapeApe) wrote:
    > >So my personal experience is that it's a good thing. The speed hit
    > >seems pretty minor, considering the improvement to the integrity of
    > >your data.
    >
    > I have thought about journaling, but am concerned about the speed hit
    > and when it would occur. Only when you save a file? How about opening
    > a pkg? Or viewing a web page with umpteen hundred files?
    >
    > What comes to mind that scares me off journaling is the amount of
    > time it takes to index for content in OS 9, which may be a different
    > thing entirely.
    It's a different thing. Entirely. There's really not even a passing
    similarity between these two features, they do very different things in
    very different ways.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  4. #4

    In article <290620031029554905%jerrykindallnospam.invalid> ,
    Jerry Kindall <jerrykindallnospam.invalid> wrote:
    > > I have thought about journaling, but am concerned about the speed hit and
    > > when
    > > it would occur. Only when you save a file? How about opening a pkg? Or
    > > viewing
    > > a web page with umpteen hundred files?
    >
    > Journaling only affects writes. So yes, saving a file to a journaled
    > disk is slightly slower. And you don't want your Photoshop scratch
    > disk on a journaled volume. %)

    I turned journaling on on all our servers. If there is a speed hit, which I
    guess there is, it's below our radar screen. we simply can't notice the
    difference, as a practical matter.
    sam grey Guest

  5. #5

    In article <20030629104648.00862.00001923mb-m18.aol.com>,
    [email]grapeapeaol.comj[/email]unk (GrapeApe) wrote:
    >I have thought about journaling, but
    > am concerned about the speed hit and when
    >it would occur. Only when you save a
    > file? How about opening a pkg? Or viewing
    >a web page with umpteen hundred files?
    There's a speed-hit associated with Journaling and it happens
    at unpredictable times. (Caused only when you make changes to
    disk contents -- reading them makes no difference.) It's not
    very big, though, and you probably won't notice it unless you're
    trying to save live video or audio to disk.
    >What comes to mind that scares me off
    > journaling is the amount of time it takes
    >to index for content in OS 9, which may
    > be a different thing entirely.
    That's a difference thing entirely.

    Simon Slavin Guest