Professional Web Applications Themes

To Mark Boyd - Macromedia Director Basics

Hey Mark! Just wanted to personally thank you for your great help. I took your script and tried to make my own event handler to prompt for a go to frame, but,, i guess that's not a property!! I had an idea to propmt for which frame to go to on mouse click. it seemed to work, but NOT!! I get the propmt box asking to enter a frame number, but i get an error in the script when it processes the go to frame,,,,GRRR!! here's what I'm trying to do: property pGoToFrame on mouseUp go to frame #pGoToFrame end ...

  1. #1

    Default To Mark Boyd

    Hey Mark!

    Just wanted to personally thank you for your great help.

    I took your script and tried to make my own event handler to prompt for a go

    to frame,

    but,, i guess that's not a property!!

    I had an idea to propmt for which frame to go to on mouse click.

    it seemed to work, but NOT!! I get the propmt box asking to enter a frame

    number,

    but i get an error in the script when it processes the go to frame,,,,GRRR!!

    here's what I'm trying to do:

    property pGoToFrame

    on mouseUp

    go to frame #pGoToFrame

    end

    on getPropertyDescriptionList me

    pList=[:]

    pList[#pGoToFrame]=[#comment: "Enter Frame numer:"]

    plist[#pGoToFrame][#format]=#integer

    pList[#pGoToFrame][#default]=25

    return pList

    end

    am i like way off base here?

    i'm really having a hard time getting a handle on scripting and OOP,

    obviously!!

    Can you point me in the right direction again?

    --
    markinoregon

    Website under construction as always!
    [url]www.markthesteelhead.com[/url]

    markinoregon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: To Mark Boyd

    tried your behavior, there's only one minot syntax error:

    change

    go to frame #pGoToFrame

    go to frame pGoToFrame
    JB Guest

  3. #3

    Hi JB!

    Yeah, I discovered that last night myself.

    thanks for checkin it out!

    --

    "JB" <lingoguysbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > tried your behavior, there's only one minot syntax error:
    >
    > change
    >
    > go to frame #pGoToFrame

    > go to frame pGoToFrame

    markinoregon Guest

  4. #4

    On 02 Nov 2003, "markinoregon" <mark.r.stevenscomcast.net> wrote:
    > Hey Mark!
    >
    > Just wanted to personally thank you for your great help.
    Glad to help when I can. I don't recommend subject lines like this one,
    though. My appearance here can be very spotty at times & others who can
    help may ignore the thread.
    > I took your script and tried to make my own event handler to prompt
    > for a go
    > to frame,
    Fortunately, JB has already provided the correct answer, (use the property
    name itself, not a symbol). I'm just going to expand on it some.
    > but,, i guess that's not a property!!
    And event handler is not a property, but in your script, pGoToFrame IS a
    property. Simply because you declared it as such at the top of the script.

    There was no symbol named #pGoToFrame, though, so your 'go' command errored
    out. It is a good idea to read those script errors so that you can
    understand what went wrong. In this case,
    Frame not defined
    go to frame #pGoToFrame
    is telling you the line that needs fixing. Hit the debug button and you can
    see that, sure enough, there is no #pGoToFrame symbol, but there is a
    pGoToFrame property set to an integer.

    The debug window will become your friend.

    BTW, what are you going to do if you have to insert or delete some frames
    before frame 25? You'll have to reset the properties for any/all buttons
    that use this script.

    You might want to consider using marker names. Then you can set plist
    [#pGoToFrame][#format]=#marker to get a drop-down menu showing Previous,
    Loop, Next, and all your marker labels.

    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' :)

  5. #5

    > Glad to help when I can. I don't recommend subject lines like this one,
    > though. My appearance here can be very spotty at times & others who can
    > help may ignore the thread.
    Yeah, I can understand that.
    > BTW, what are you going to do if you have to insert or delete some frames
    > before frame 25? You'll have to reset the properties for any/all buttons
    > that use this script.
    >
    > You might want to consider using marker names. Then you can set plist
    > [#pGoToFrame][#format]=#marker to get a drop-down menu showing Previous,
    > Loop, Next, and all your marker labels.
    hmmmm....good point!
    might have to explore that option too.
    This is my first foray into making my own custom scripts, obviously!
    So i'm trying to figure out what can be done for different situations.
    Gotta start somewhere I suppose!

    Thank You!

    --
    markinoregon

    Website under construction as always!
    [url]www.markthesteelhead.com[/url]
    "Mark A. Boyd" <mblistsanDotrr.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9428515815D1AmblistssanDotrrcom65.57.83.2 09...
    > On 02 Nov 2003, "markinoregon" <mark.r.stevenscomcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey Mark!
    > >
    > > Just wanted to personally thank you for your great help.
    >
    > Glad to help when I can. I don't recommend subject lines like this one,
    > though. My appearance here can be very spotty at times & others who can
    > help may ignore the thread.
    >
    > > I took your script and tried to make my own event handler to prompt
    > > for a go
    > > to frame,
    >
    > Fortunately, JB has already provided the correct answer, (use the property
    > name itself, not a symbol). I'm just going to expand on it some.
    >
    > > but,, i guess that's not a property!!
    >
    > And event handler is not a property, but in your script, pGoToFrame IS a
    > property. Simply because you declared it as such at the top of the script.
    >
    > There was no symbol named #pGoToFrame, though, so your 'go' command
    errored
    > out. It is a good idea to read those script errors so that you can
    > understand what went wrong. In this case,
    > Frame not defined
    > go to frame #pGoToFrame
    > is telling you the line that needs fixing. Hit the debug button and you
    can
    > see that, sure enough, there is no #pGoToFrame symbol, but there is a
    > pGoToFrame property set to an integer.
    >
    > The debug window will become your friend.
    >
    > BTW, what are you going to do if you have to insert or delete some frames
    > before frame 25? You'll have to reset the properties for any/all buttons
    > that use this script.
    >
    > You might want to consider using marker names. Then you can set plist
    > [#pGoToFrame][#format]=#marker to get a drop-down menu showing Previous,
    > Loop, Next, and all your marker labels.
    >

    > --
    > Mark A. Boyd
    > Keep-On-Learnin' :)