Professional Web Applications Themes

to webDAV or not to webDAV - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

Hi there all, Bit new to most of this so I'm after a little guidance. Looking at using Contribute to let our clients have a little more in the way on content control over their web sites. I've been using Dreamweaver for a number of years now and have been uploading sites using ether ftp or mapping onto shared resources on the net. When I suggested using Contribute to my IT dept they had an issue with letting clients have ftp access for a number of reasons, so I thought I would take a look at webDAV as being an ...

  1. #1

    Default to webDAV or not to webDAV

    Hi there all,

    Bit new to most of this so I'm after a little guidance.

    Looking at using Contribute to let our clients have a little more in the way
    on content control over their web sites.
    I've been using Dreamweaver for a number of years now and have been
    uploading sites using ether ftp or mapping onto shared resources on the net.

    When I suggested using Contribute to my IT dept they had an issue with
    letting clients have ftp access for a number of reasons, so I thought I
    would take a look at webDAV as being an option. I assume I'm right in
    thinking that webDAV is built into IIS (we are using version 5 at the
    moment), and its just a case of allowing write and browser access right in
    IIS, because that's all I needed to do.

    Anyway, after a bit of playing about started to feel that webDAV can be a
    little on the flaky side, because it seems you do something slightly wrong
    and it locks the file you are using.

    I'm also accessing the site using Dreamweaver via a LAN connection (mapped
    network resource), not at the same time as Contribute I may add.

    But I'm getting 2 problems. Contribute will sometimes exclusively lock the
    file, only to be removed by a "DAV explorer", or Dreamweaver will lock it by
    placing a .LCK file on the server despite checking the file back in. The
    Dreamweaver bit might be a red herring, but its the Contribute side of
    things that concerns me, because I've got to roll this out to clients.

    Is webDAV unreliable?
    Is there more to setting up webDAV then just setting the access rights in
    IIS?
    Should I not connect to the site using a combination of webDAV and LAN?
    Would ftp be a better option despite what my IT people think?

    Damn, so many questions...!!!!

    Any help you could offer would be gratefully appreciated.

    Cheers,

    ndyB

    @ndyB Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: to webDAV or not to webDAV

    I have just upgraded to C3 and recieved a useful manual. On page 178 is says...

    "To use Contribute with a WebDAV-enabled site, you must use a WebDAV server
    that supports exclusive write locks. Exclusive write locks guarantee that only
    the lock owner (the person who opened the file...) can overwrite the file..."

    It continues that "some WebDAV server support shared write locks...
    Contribute does not support these."

    "...When you create a WebDav connection you must not mix connection types
    (such as FTP with WebDAVor local area network with WebDAV)..."

    The manual also suggests that Secure FTP is far better than plain FTP (poor
    security and not as efficient) if your server supports this.

    hope this helps.

    timminehan Guest

  3. #3

    Hi there,

    Thanks for the info.
    Think I will have a look into Secure FTP as being an option because I don't
    think this route is going to work.

    Cheers,

    ndyB

    @ndyB Guest